Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

There's a fascinating podcast called The Mental Illness Happy Hour that interviewed a guy who used to work in what can only be described as a housing facility for irreparably damaged pedophiles. Extremely uncomfortable to listen to, but it discusses a very interesting problem: what do you do when these people serve their full sentences but are still at a high risk to reoffend? I had no idea such a place exists, but "patients" are admitted here and are essentially never allowed to leave. They aren't charged with any crime, but their sentence is life.

What I found interesting was that the podcast is generally a source of hope for the damaged. This interview pretty much mirrored what CaptainCrunch mentions though... these people are harmed beyond repair and pretty much just need to be quarantined until they die.

It's a massive expense, but it's something that must be done imo. At the same time, it's still sad. Many of these people (that most would classify as sub-human), were simply child-rape victims themselves. Unless we learn about a magic switch to turn it off though, I don't see an alternate solution.

http://mentalpod.com/Dr-David-Hiroha...xual-Predators
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
The only thing I have to ask is why are these two women getting off so easy in comparison? I can't believe they'd do that to their own children. Absolutely disgusting.
From the article that devo quoted:

Quote:
Watkins's barrister claimed that Woman A and Woman B were equally to blame for the abuse that was carried out.

But Woman A's barrister, Jonathan Fuller QC, said his client was an impressionable 17-year-old when she met Watkins for the first time.

"She was corrupted by him," said Fuller. "He darkened her world with drugs and even injected her with heroin. She sacrificed her own moral compass so she could sustain a relationship with a man she was obsessed with.

"She was a girl doing her A-levels. He was in the limelight and a rock star. She was vulnerable and exploited."

Christine Laing QC, for Woman B, said her client was a "very immature young woman" suffering from an undiagnosed personality disorder and postnatal depression when she first spoke to Watkins. Laing told the court how Watkins had told Woman B: "You and your daughter now belong to me."
I am not sure that I buy any of that garbage, or at least not to the extent that I feel it would justify leniency given their involvement in this. At the very least, I think they at least got Watkin's sentence right.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its hard to believe that there is a very good chance that Watkin's will be back on the streets before I can legally collect my pension.

That just seems to be wrong. Especially since I stated above that I have 0 faith that these people can be fixed.

Same with these woman, I have zero belief that drugs are a valid excuse for this type of crime.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

This really makes me sick. I couldn't read half of it.

There was also time when I actually liked some of the stuff the band made... now I feel ashamed.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The tough thing is that his band mates are basically going to be guilty by association and this is going to follow them around for the rest of their careers. Every interview is going to start with "so you're lead singer was a sadistic pedo and you didn't know? Riiiight.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pedophiles need to be housed in the general populations, not under segregation from the rest of the prison population. Put them in general and let one of the inmates know what he is convicted of, problem solved.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Pedophiles need to be housed in the general populations, not under segregation from the rest of the prison population. Put them in general and let one of the inmates know what he is convicted of, problem solved.
Oh god I'm going to sound like a Liberal when I say this.

Prison is for punishment, public safety and rehabilitiation

Not as some sort of State sponsored killing box.

As much as we want frontier justice for scum like this that's not the intent, I'd rather see him sit in a 8x4 cage for the rest of his life, being well protected and fed so he can feel every second of his life passing by.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

You hippie!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #29
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ellesmere Island Pedophile settlement and Polar Bear sanctuary
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
There's a fascinating podcast called The Mental Illness Happy Hour that interviewed a guy who used to work in what can only be described as a housing facility for irreparably damaged pedophiles. Extremely uncomfortable to listen to, but it discusses a very interesting problem: what do you do when these people serve their full sentences but are still at a high risk to reoffend? I had no idea such a place exists, but "patients" are admitted here and are essentially never allowed to leave. They aren't charged with any crime, but their sentence is life.

What I found interesting was that the podcast is generally a source of hope for the damaged. This interview pretty much mirrored what CaptainCrunch mentions though... these people are harmed beyond repair and pretty much just need to be quarantined until they die.

It's a massive expense, but it's something that must be done imo. At the same time, it's still sad. Many of these people (that most would classify as sub-human), were simply child-rape victims themselves. Unless we learn about a magic switch to turn it off though, I don't see an alternate solution.

http://mentalpod.com/Dr-David-Hiroha...xual-Predators
You'll probably find this extremely fascinating:
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #31
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The tough thing is that his band mates are basically going to be guilty by association and this is going to follow them around for the rest of their careers. Every interview is going to start with "so you're lead singer was a sadistic pedo and you didn't know? Riiiight.
I don't think it is a stretch to assume that they might have had some knowledge. These guys go on tour and spend almost every minute of their lives together during that time for months.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I don't think it is a stretch to assume that they might have had some knowledge. These guys go on tour and spend almost every minute of their lives together during that time for months.
I would hope not, because that would make them monsters.

Pedo's are usually pretty good at hiding right in plain site.

Watkin's sounds like he didn't care.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Sometimes you just don't know everything about someone. My sisters ex husband was gay and they were together for years. Apparently he had affairs with several men during their time together. Sometimes you just don't know, no matter how close you are to them.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I learned from watching a program on it is that pedophiles get very good at giving the right answers when undergoing therapy.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #35
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why I opened this thread today, but the fact I did at all makes me sad. Can the thread title be changed to worst human ever?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I don't know why I opened this thread today, but the fact I did at all makes me sad. Can the thread title be changed to worst human ever?
Ya "dirtbag" is more returning-an-item-to-walmart-you-didn't-buy-at-walmart than baby rapist.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #37
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Damn, Lostprophets had some killer music. Watch 80000 people jumping up and down at his command, was a really charismatic frontman. Definitely would have been able to easily manipulate young female fans.

Kind of weird watching someone so loved and seemingly normal in that video, knowing what we know now.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-25-2013 at 12:43 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #38
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is truely sad is there are parts of the world that infant rape is all too common.
Like where?
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Like where?
There are parts of Africa where it's believed that you can cure HIV by having sex with an infant. Google it. I'm not doing it at work.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote