Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #28561
Southern_Canuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
How good would Hronek look if he wasn't playing with Quinn Hughes?

Beyond that, the Hronek trade worked for the Canucks because they already had a core of elite young pieces - Hughes, Pettersson, and Demko. Hronek supplements them.

If the Flames try to do that when they haven't even drafted their next star player, it will be a colossal mistake.
Yes, Hronek has had fortunate chemistry with Hughes (and, I imagine it will cost the Canucks on a RFA contract in the summer).

However, Hronek was already an above average RD in Detroit - good skater, good shot, GP 305 P 156.

If the Flames can pluck a young but established NHL player with their recently acquired draft capital, I think it would be a good move.

S_C

Last edited by Southern_Canuck; 03-07-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Southern_Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #28562
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

ROFL you have to be kidding me that ownership thinks they can pull this around now again.

So sad, just trade Markstrom and move on. 2024/25 here we come
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #28563
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man some of you are way to gullable for this time in the season. There is so much going on the media types are fighting over your clicks and attention. Easiest way to do that is vaguely mention that flames upper management ( whoever that might be) might want to win and 'think' they should trade Marky in the summer and boom clicks galore with pitchforks and torches :-)
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 12:54 PM   #28564
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

What we need is to get into the top 10 or 5 the next 2 seasons, and hope that Vegas picks goes to 26 and goes top 10 as well.

We can trade away the 1st from Vancouver and 2nd from Dallas to get a young player back, but our 1st and the Vegas pick have to be off the table for sure.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:54 PM   #28565
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I've seen one outlier at 9 and the rest 13 or higher.
people at McKeens have him at 12, THN had him 11 and 12, Bukala at Sportsnet has him 10
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:55 PM   #28566
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've seen one outlier at 9 and the rest 13 or higher.
Yeah but point is if you're selecting 10th, picking someone who's #13 or #18 or whatever on someone else's list, isn't "going off the board".

I obviously like the storyline of drafting Tij, but if the Flames go to pick and he's still there and they pick someone else, I'm not going to get worked up about it either... well, unless they do go "off the board" with someone else, lol.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:55 PM   #28567
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
ROFL you have to be kidding me that ownership thinks they can pull this around now again.

What's the hurry? If the price isn't right and the Flames control the asset then their hand isnt forced.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 12:56 PM   #28568
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

The latest rumor in Chicago is Beauviler to Nashville. He has made, virtually, no impression on me over the 23 games he has played for my guys. He has been tried up and down the lineup, and just has done nothing, in my mind, that justifies his $4.1M contract. He will be a UFA anyways, so no great loss, IMO. https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nhl...r-pick/545154/
Old 03-07-2024, 12:56 PM   #28569
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
The latest rumor in Chicago is Beauviler to Nashville.
That trade already happened earlier this morning.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 12:57 PM   #28570
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Man some of you are way to gullable for this time in the season. There is so much going on the media types are fighting over your clicks and attention. Easiest way to do that is vaguely mention that flames upper management ( whoever that might be) might want to win and 'think' they should trade Marky in the summer and boom clicks galore with pitchforks and torches :-)
It wouldn’t be so easy to fall for if it didn’t keep happening.

Management squashing a sensical trade to try and win now is exactly their MO. I don’t know who they think they’re winning with anymore. Markstrom and the $10.5 million man putting up 40 points?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:57 PM   #28571
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I want Marky to be dealt before tomorrow. Probably won't happen though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I mean based on quite a few rankings now he’s pretty safely top 12. Flames picking him at 8 or 9 isn’t really a reach at this point
Depends in who else is there at 8 or 9? Lots of guys i pick ahead of iginla. If catton, lindstrom, dickinson , or connely( if flames management think the social problems are isolated) would take any if them ahead of iginla would add buium as well. Love the player probably a winger and not our highest priority. Will add i trust our scouting quite a bit if they take iggy jr wont argue.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:58 PM   #28572
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TBF he said "with a late pick". So Gaudreau, sure (as late as they come) but not Tkachuk, who was 5th and should have been 2nd. And with Gaudreau, pretty much any team has those kind of miracle picks. The Flames have several.
Yes, I understand how he interpreted that, but trading a couple late 1st round picks for a players will help the Flames be more competitive and therefore reduce the likelihood of the team picking high with its own 1st round pick.

It just locks this team up in the middle again. Not good enough to compete for the Cup, not bad enough to get a high 1st rounder.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:58 PM   #28573
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

You guys are far too easy to get eyeballs and clickbait

You really think that ownership after trading Lindholm, Tanev, and Hanifin are "going for it" They don't want to look desperate to move Markstrom because they aren't. Pay the price or we keep him.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:58 PM   #28574
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
That trade already happened earlier this morning.
I didn't see confirmation...but...as I said, no great loss.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #28575
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo Jr. View Post
We need some Sec input after all this eff the Flames management talk! I don't buy it for a second honestly.
I laugh because everyone is so out of touch on this ownership/management group. They think everything is hand cuffed by Murray's wallet which is FAT.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #28576
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Yeah but point is if you're selecting 10th, picking someone who's #13 or #18 or whatever on someone else's list, isn't "going off the board".

I obviously like the storyline of drafting Tij, but if the Flames go to pick and he's still there and they pick someone else, I'm not going to get worked up about it either... well, unless they do go "off the board" with someone else, lol.
Oh, I agree. But the suggestion was they'd trade up to get him at a higher spot. In other words, trade their existing first plus some other picks to from 11 to 9 and get him. I think at where they will sit, they can get him without trading anything. If they want him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 01:00 PM   #28577
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
The latest rumor in Chicago is Beauviler to Nashville. He has made, virtually, no impression on me over the 23 games he has played for my guys. He has been tried up and down the lineup, and just has done nothing, in my mind, that justifies his $4.1M contract. He will be a UFA anyways, so no great loss, IMO. https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nhl...r-pick/545154/
I hear Hanifin is going to Vegas

Insiderrr!
Old 03-07-2024, 01:00 PM   #28578
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People are overestimating where Iginla will go this year. If Calgary is top ten, to get Iginla they trade down.
I would be astonished if ten players in this draft have better careers than Tij Iginla.

You’re probably right about the value, but as an actual hockey player?

Tij has 43 goals in the Dub as a 17 year old.

Watch him - he looks like a faster, slimmer version of his dad out there. His edgework, the way he protects the puck, his stride, his shot - it’s all Iggy.

So if the argument is there are ten players better than Jarome Iginla in this draft, this is the greatest draft ever.

But I don’t think it is, and I don’t think there are.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:00 PM   #28579
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking Markstrom has some big price tag is foolish. We are lucky New Jersey if the rumours are correct even offered a 1st and Holtz for him.

Goalies like that get back a C prospect and 3rd rounder in the offseason when a team is not desperate.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 01:01 PM   #28580
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
I laugh because everyone is so out of touch on this ownership/management group. They think everything is hand cuffed by Murray's wallet which is FAT.
Media, especially the eastern media know what will get the fanbase all riled up and get more eyeballs