Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Given the great start how many points will the Flames finish with?
110+ 13 6.57%
105-109 43 21.72%
100-104 88 44.44%
95-99 44 22.22%
90-94 8 4.04%
85-89 1 0.51%
84 or less 1 0.51%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #41
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:
Default Playoff performance and getting there

Some are worried about the Flames "folding" when they get to the playoffs. Others are saying this team is the same old team. I want to throw out 5 key points that I believe have made all the difference this season and will going forward in 2021/2022.

Making the playoffs needs to happen first, which of course, they are on pace for. So lets pretend they make the playoffs.

This Flames group is a completely different Flames team than years past. Lets take a look at a few key reasons why this year is different than any other year.

1) The Flames have a head coach who has been to this dance many times. Darryl Sutter has a long resume of making the playoffs, and going on deep runs. He knows what it takes to win. I can't enphisize enough how important this part is for this group. This team is playing good, consistent, sustainable hockey for the first time in an extremely long time. The man at the reins plays a massive role in how a team bonds, how a team performs, and how a team deals with adversity. This is the first time the Flames have brought in a top tier head coach in as long as I can remember. Darryl has had to make significant changes, that only a guy with his stature would make.

2) A 'New 'Core. No Mark Giordano and no Captain. Sean Monahan is playing a smaller role, which needed to happen, as he simply can not play at the pace needed for top six minutes. Yes this Core has some familiar faces, with Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk, Elias Lindholm and Michael Backlund still here. However, this teams Core has changed significantly. The Flames top Goal Scorer is Andrew Mangiapane, and guys like Blake Coleman, Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson have taken on bigger roles. Lets just say the Core has been upgraded, because of player growth and roster moves that have allowed others to flourish. It is just different. This team is being led by commitee and its paying dividends. I don't know if the Flames even name a captain this season, but this group looks more tight knit than it has ever before. Even in 2019 when the Flames finished first in the WEST, they were never a resilient group. This team looks tough, resilient, with leadership throughout the lineup.

3) DEFENCE. The Flames defence is finally big. Look at all the additions to the back end, everyone is huge. Erik Gubranson is 6-5, Zadorov is 6-6, Tanev 6-2. Anderson 6-1, Hannifin 6-3, Valimaki is 6-2, Stone is 6-3, and our breakout guy who we have all been waiting for to have success, and who has been a pleasure to watch, is the smallest at 6-0, Oliver Kylington.

My point is, the Flames Defence added big time size. Even up front they added size, but the difference for me, is the that the Flames Goaltending is finally seeing the puck, and rebounds are not being wacked in. In years past (for as long as i can remember), the Flames defence was a little too small, a little too soft, and the goaltending has struggled because of it. Calgary lost many games because of this. This season, opposing players do not have the luxury of standing around the crease, and getting second chances. In the playoffs, the Flames defensive depth, and size, will make a massive difference. Like it or not, size matters on the back end.

4) The Flames have Goaltending. Markstrom and Vladar are both playing great. It has a been a great tandem, and both are having success. Yes, some of it is because of the great play in front of them, and the defence doing their job, but the puck still needs to be stopped. These guys have both done an amazing job. It is so important to have a backup that can play real minutes during the year, while collecting wins and giving the #1 a break. This duo has been awesome to watch. In the playoffs, goaltending is so important. Jacob Markstrom will be there to stop the puck for the Flames this time, which is huge. The Flames have not had a guy like this in the crease since Kipper. The Flames last line of defence has not been this good in a very long time, if ever.

5) Finishing games. This team can defend, and can finish games. In years past, the Flames couldn't keep the puck out of their end. This year is different, and Sutter has the 5 man unit playing the game properly, taking care of business in the Flames zone. Its funny because when the Flames were winning games in years past, you would always feel or wonder when the collapse was coming. Not this year. These habits will be massive come playoff time. This team has learned to finish hockey games and defend when it matters the most. That is playoff hockey.

Just my two cents on how the Flames are a much different team than years past.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #42
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

When Darryl since he's been back, has mentioned in interviews that he's talked to Brad a bit regarding players, he probably just said we need to be bigger. A little input like that is enough to sway the GM on different players he may have been looking at.

I also think Mikael Backlund has been more noticeable, seems to be playing with a bit more of an edge. I noticed that last year already since Sutter took over. He's a really skilled player, good stick handler, skater, that maybe gets a little under utilized for those good skills he has.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:24 PM   #43
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

With majority of the league sitting at or around 42 games it is the halfway point of the season. The Flames had a hell of a start and only really fell off a week into December when they lost 4 in a row starting December 5th and have gone 4-8-1 in the time since.

Prior to that and the time this thread was started the Flames were top of the league with a 15-4-5 record. This team definitely has to tools, and when times are great they are great! However when times are bad, it takes atleast a handful of games to gain back lost ground.

Sutter hockey works, and the Flames are on pace for 97 points and still 6 games back of teams like Vegas. I say they do it, but they might need help once they get there.