Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ben White to Arsenal for $50M.
I don't know a lot about him, but excited to actually sign a promising young centre back after needing one forever.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:12 AM   #22
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Ben White to Arsenal for $50M.
I don't know a lot about him, but excited to actually sign a promising young centre back after needing one forever.
I was surprised saliba was sent back on loan

White was really good last season, and at leeds the year before. Hes a really good passer for a cb, also pretty quick

he was in a back 3 last year, I dont remember much of that from arsenal, so I wonder if it takes him a bit to adjust to a back 4 and higher line

The england international tax was definitely paid, but unfortunately hes a good player with room to grow
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:15 AM   #23
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised the Varane signing isnt getting more coverage in the media

Hes a perfect stylistic fit with Maguire. That back 4 if healthy has a real chance at being one of the best in Europe, health is the key
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aston Villa sign Leon Bailey from Leverkusen. I guess Grealish to City is a matter of days now.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #25
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Aston Villa sign Leon Bailey from Leverkusen. I guess Grealish to City is a matter of days now.
Somehow they’re going to spend £100m on Grealish and £150m on Kane and get away with it, aren’t they? A few months ago people were up in arms about the ESL, and this kind of thing takes place out in the open and it’s fine.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:59 AM   #26
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised. The thing is, people forget how much money City makes from selling fringe players to balance the official books ... they've made over £40m for Harrison, Angelino, Ilic and Nmecha already, and the sell-on clause for Sancho has netted them another £11m. I'm sure there will be more sales, especially once Grealish is signed. So it's not like they just #### on FFP (as if FFP was still relevant lol), they actually sell well.

same for Chelsea and Liverpool, by the way. Chelsea have made around £50m for Tomori, Guehi and Moses, while Liverpool have made almost £30m for Wilson, Awoniyi and Grujic. It's quite impressive actually how much money these clubs make by moving deadwood.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 09:11 AM   #27
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. The thing is, people forget how much money City makes from selling fringe players to balance the official books ... they've made over £40m for Harrison, Angelino, Ilic and Nmecha already, and the sell-on clause for Sancho has netted them another £11m. I'm sure there will be more sales, especially once Grealish is signed. So it's not like they just #### on FFP (as if FFP was still relevant lol), they actually sell well.

same for Chelsea and Liverpool, by the way. Chelsea have made around £50m for Tomori, Guehi and Moses, while Liverpool have made almost £30m for Wilson, Awoniyi and Grujic. It's quite impressive actually how much money these clubs make by moving deadwood.
I guess that’s true. Spurs has quite a lot of deadwood and we could raise a significant chunk of money, assuming we could find buyers for everyone. It adds up and then you throw some cash in as a club and you can have quite the war chest.

I just prefer to think that City is a trophy buying machine and Pep is a chequebook manager though. It makes me more at ease with our shortcomings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #28
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

both is true I guess. I envy how much money they get from getting rid of deadwood, I wish United were only half as good at that. But at the same time, £100m for Grealish is insane in this market. I absolutely love Grealish as a player, but that's madness. Not that the sheikh will bother, mind you.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #29
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish United were only half as good at that.
United are being clever. Sending their deadwood to the Olympics to showcase their skills.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1421431649057841156

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he also "assisted" the first Spain goal and gave away a pen in extra-time. The only thing missing from a classic Bailly game was a hamstring injury ...
Old 07-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #31
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny you put it that way, on Villa forums the view is more it’s a show to Grealish they mean business for Europe and this plus the bid for James Ward Prowse yesterday is to present Grealish with the plan for what he could have with Aston Villa if he stays.

Really done want Grealish to leave but happy to heave Bailey coming in , going to have a good attack no matter what this season with Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, +/- Grealish, I’m so excited for what’s in store this season
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 04:26 AM   #32
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, I don't want to see Grealish at City, so let's hope you're right just thought the Bailey deal made sense with regards to the Grealish rumours. Either way, Bailey and Buendia are really good transfers for you ... Villa is doing a great job IMO. Just can't see them being able to keep Grealish at this point, £100m is an outrageous offer.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

While true, City's books are so cooked its ridiculous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 11:12 PM   #34
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chelsea’s loan system is pretty notorious for buying toying players loaning them out for years and selling them off with little to know chance of ever putting on a CFC sweater. So some of it isn’t “dead wood” in the same sense.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:45 AM   #35
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sure, there's different circumstances. Call it whatever you want, it's still players who are not in their plans ... and they are selling their youth prospects without giving them a chance all the time. Case in point, Livramento (who's highly rated IIRC) is about to join Southampton.

Kane has not shown up for training today. Drama ahead.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #36
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully just because he starts tomorrow and today is just getting a Covid test. If it’s more than that, it’s obviously a big problem.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I guess Fabrizio Romano says that it’s not the Covid test and that Kane had a gentlemen’s agreement to leave last September. Hopefully City pays up and he just goes.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #38
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get it ... he has ZERO leverage. Maybe don't sign a contract until 2024 then? Levy is not going to cave here. This won't do a thing but hurt his reputation.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #39
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so since Dortmund has completely shut the door on a Haaland sale, I guess panic is slowly setting in lol.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1422309166975275009
Old 08-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #40
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sit him in the reserves all season

City haven't even put in a real bid yet and hes pulling this?

Also should be stripped of england captaincy