Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #3801
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

whoa...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1453448050467213321
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #3802
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Ruh-ROH

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:07 AM   #3803
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its going to be hard for them to come back. I haven't followed ROH in a while. Honestly my wrestling watching has dropped way down.

But we'll see, this is going to impact their TV deal, while they're talking about just running TV with older matches, the TV providers want fresh content not a continued best of series.

Bray Wyatt put up a cryptic post last night which bascially said two days. This corresponds with both Smackdown and AEW shows, so there's speculation that both companies are bidding for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #3804
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Maybe I'm missing something but why would WWE want him back so badly after just letting him go?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #3805
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but why would WWE want him back so badly after just letting him go?
More favorable contract terms or re-positioning their place in the roster. Samoa Joe was definitely one of those, as he is performing more coaching-related duties now that no doubt required a restructuring of this contract (this is my speculation though, so take it with a grain of salt).

I personally believe it's only a matter of time before they bring Braun Stroman back into the fold too. Dude was way too expensive for WWE as he got fast-tracked to the spotlight.

That said, I believe Rotunda had some personal things going on with WWE management that also led to his release.

I think the lesson here is they don't necessarily have personal issues with WWE to be let go; it's simply a cost-saving measure and the characters can still be in demand for TV.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #3806
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
They're back on the road and money is coming in again. I expect a few guys will be re-signed.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #3807
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its going to be hard for them to come back. I haven't followed ROH in a while. Honestly my wrestling watching has dropped way down.

But we'll see, this is going to impact their TV deal, while they're talking about just running TV with older matches, the TV providers want fresh content not a continued best of series.

Bray Wyatt put up a cryptic post last night which bascially said two days. This corresponds with both Smackdown and AEW shows, so there's speculation that both companies are bidding for him.
ROH is owned by Sinclair, who owns most if not all of the stations that ROH is aired on. I always figured that it was a no brainer for them to run ROH as cheap content, and was surprised that they didn't move coverage from their over air stations to the regional sports networks that they recently bought, as those are always looking for programming.

I've always liked ROH as an alternative, so I hope they are able to renew and come back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #3808
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
More favorable contract terms or re-positioning their place in the roster. Samoa Joe was definitely one of those, as he is performing more coaching-related duties now that no doubt required a restructuring of this contract (this is my speculation though, so take it with a grain of salt).

I personally believe it's only a matter of time before they bring Braun Stroman back into the fold too. Dude was way too expensive for WWE as he got fast-tracked to the spotlight.

That said, I believe Rotunda had some personal things going on with WWE management that also led to his release.

I think the lesson here is they don't necessarily have personal issues with WWE to be let go; it's simply a cost-saving measure and the characters can still be in demand for TV.

Its a good summary. Just an add on, there were also some other theories.

That Bray wasn't putting on good matches, and was out of shape so they let him go.

That he had taken the death of Brodie very hard, and was difficult to work with.

The simple one is that WWE didn't know what to do with the fiend, they had booked it into oblivion, so he got the old, we'll call you when we figure stuff out.

I'm not saying he's going back to WWE its just a theory based on a tweet, for all we know he could be heading to AEW, though Tony had stated that they really hadn't talked about it. It could be the end of his non compete as well.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #3809
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

If he came out with Erik Redbeard and Brodie King (who I think would be a great replacement for the mobile big man role, and also was let go of his contract), this would be a great stable in AEW to capitalize on the Wyatt Family's success. There is still much cache to the character, and I believe most AEW fans would want to see some sort of off-shoot from that with Wyndam Rotunda. You only need to look as far as both Brodie Lee and Miro to figure out that their success in AEW is based on a pre-established character type that works well (Miro had to go through that awful gamer gimmick first, but the Redeemer is pure money).

I wouldn't go so far as to say they should be in the Dark Order (I don't think that fits anymore), but with the general dissipation of both Inner Circle and the Pinnacle, I think there's room for one more stable of guys with an actual dark twist.

I'd love to see some angle with Rotunda in a stable where he's wooing Darby Allin to the dark side, Sting is his voice of reason not to do it, but Rotunda's charm is just too much. He's best being a creepy horror character.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:36 AM   #3810
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Moxley enters in person treatment for alcohol.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/tony-...m-for-alcohol/

Old 11-03-2021, 12:49 AM   #3811
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Moxley enters in person treatment for alcohol.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/tony-...m-for-alcohol/
Good for him. Hope it goes well for the guy. I kind of thought he had been looking a little "off" the last few times I watched him. He never looked dangerous and I have no idea if he was drinking on the job, but he just looked like his mind was elsewhere and kind of out of it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #3812
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There have been rumors about his for a long time. It felt like it was one of the reasons why he dissapearded from the guest spot on total Divas when his wife was on.

I'm glad he's getting help, too many don't and we see tragedy later.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #3813
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Definitely more acceptable today than in previous generations of pro wrestlers.

Mox going might encourage others to follow suit if they need it too. Many people even speak highly of the WWE rehab program, which I believe is available to all current and former talent.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #3814
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to see him getting the help he needs.

As Captain said though this one doesn't surprise me...I remember there was a time in WWE where he looked straight up unhealthy. Think it was around that time when he fought HHH at Roadblock, he just looked like he had lost all muscle mass and didn't seem to be in a good place at all.

Also he just wrote his book which can be said to stir up old issues and trauma, and with a young kid at home it can't be easy to be away on the road away from them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #3815
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wonder if the WWE is helping in any way on this as their wellness program is for life and they've even offered it to people that left under less then ideal circumstances.

Probably not, but at least that is one positive of the WWE talent relations side.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #3816
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is probably not...last thing Kahn would want is some story about how one of his current stars was using the WWE wellness program.

I'm sure it's something that they are supporting Moxley with.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #3817
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

WWE is weird for stuff like that. While I'm not sure there is any money changing hands, I'd be shocked if someone like Levesque (who has done nothing but try and maintain or repair relationships while in his corporate role) hasn't reached out and seen if there's anything they can offer both Moxley directly and Khan in advice for how to handle this. But if Moxley ever came back as Ambrose you can guarantee it'd end up in a story line.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #3818
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I came into this thread to plug a local guy out here for the Canadian Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame Class of 2022 in the "Sharpshooter" Category....Dedicated to a Male Canadian Independent Wrestler with the potential to excel in the business.

If you can spare a moment to vote for Charlie Hubley it would be appreciated
http://cpwhof.cwnonline.ca/2022-class/

Back to the topic at hand, very happy to see that Moxley is getting help. I wonder if his brand new daughter has been an influence for the Good (pun always intended).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #3819
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, WWE holds an investors call where they brag about how much money they're making, and then immediately cut a bunch of wrestlers.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #3820
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oney Lorcan, Scarlett Bordeaux, Franky Monet and Ember Moon

Not surprised at any of them except that they didn't release Kross.

But Ember has pretty much been saddled by injuries and had really declined and lacked charisma. Taya never really gained much traction. Oney was going nowhere. But AEW should chase Scarlett who's actually very talented and has a ton of charisma.

But not major releases by any stretch and WWE does really need to clear their roster.