Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #41
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season is shaping up to be great with that kickoff. War is gearing up.

Frick the last 10 minutes were intense.

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #42
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah I actually woke up at 6am to watch it here in Iceland lol

That was an excellent ep1, now the pain of waiting 7 days for each new episode begins!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #43
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've definitely been spoiled by Netflix and binge watching.

Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-12-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #44
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Another excellent episode, it makes me happy to see this show a huge success in Iceland, sadly pretty much everyone views it illegally here so it won't help its ratings I guess.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #45
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This show just took a major nosedive with the Elizabeth Mitchell character, ugh. Holier than thou I help people I am a saint character packed full of cliches. Just no. Gets even worse when you combine the character with her smug smirk face.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #46
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a fantastic episode. They really are packing a lot in per episode.

Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #47
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Another excellent episode, it makes me happy to see this show a huge success in Iceland, sadly pretty much everyone views it illegally here so it won't help its ratings I guess.
You can always support the show by getting it off of Amazon/Google Play. I picked it up from there even though I can record it off TV and I download it anyways. No commercials. Their direct to store model is probably bringing in a good amount of revenue to keep the show going, as is their overseas Netflix contract. Nielsens ratings will become less relevant going forward as more and more people take the cord cutter route and more people go streaming.

The Expanse Season 3 hit Amazon's #4 and #8 best sellers for TV Show/Episode

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...tv/2864549011/

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #48
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow... that last episode was a crazy ride.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #49
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Expanse is not being renewed by SyFy. Alcon, production company, is shopping the show now to other networks.

Quote:
The current third season of The Expanse will be the space drama’s last one on Syfy. The cable network has decided not to renew the show for a fourth season, with the last episode slated to air in early July. Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces the critically praised series, plans to shop it to other buyers.
http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expa...ed-1202388026/
Old 05-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #50
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Argh really? I haven't watched the show yet but a few people on twitter have praised it (and the books), so I started reading the series first just a few weeks ago. I've finished up book one and am about a third through book two and really enjoying it. C'mon Netflix, pick it up!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #51
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show is absolutely great, but it's the type of series targeted towards people who are very likely just to binge it and not watch it live.

It's a problem for SyFy since they rely on broadcasting rights to make their money. Hopefully Netflix or Amazon picks this up. Those two have a lot of international distribution rights already.

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #52
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
The Expanse is not being renewed by SyFy. Alcon, production company, is shopping the show now to other networks.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expa...ed-1202388026/
I sure hope someone picks it up. I think it is hands down the best Sci-Fi show out there. They don't always have the budget to show the physics of space travel, but they do try. I love how it's set within our solar system and don't magically warp everywhere.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #53
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So Star Trek will continue but The Expanse might get cancelled? ####ing useless.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #54
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I think the best shot to get the show onto a new home would probably be through Netflix or Amazon. There is a suggestions form you can fill out for this Netflix and a petition. Or you can reach out via Amazon. In the meantime, purchasing the show online via Google Play/Amazon/iTunes might help sway decisions.

https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-net...to-the-expanse
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rene...panse&src=typd
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/...ns_belters_we/

Apparently The Expanse was unanimously rated the best show on SyFy by both critics and viewers alike. SyFy just doesn't like having viewers apparently.
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...og-season-1-20

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-11-2018 at 03:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #55
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

SyFy can't afford it, I think the execs had no option but to let it go since they all are big fans and know a big company like Netflix or Hulu will take it off their hands and keep or increase the budget for this incredible series.

Netflix should just buy SyFy outright, they have good people there but their issue has always been that network TV viewers are typically far older than people on Netflix, HBO, etc..

Netflix also said pretty recently they wanted to focus on more Sci-Fi, I bet behind the scenes this show's production company is just going over paperwork for Netflix to take them
Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #56
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SyFy can't afford it, I think the execs had no option but to let it go since they all are big fans and know a big company like Netflix or Hulu will take it off their hands and keep or increase the budget for this incredible series.

Netflix should just buy SyFy outright, they have good people there but their issue has always been that network TV viewers are typically far older than people on Netflix, HBO, etc..

Netflix also said pretty recently they wanted to focus on more Sci-Fi, I bet behind the scenes this show's production company is just going over paperwork for Netflix to take them
Rumor is it's $5-10 million per episode and SyFy did the stupid thing of only signing the rights for distribution for the first run on TV. SyFy only makes any money on commercials on initial airing and zero on online distribution i.e. streaming, merchandise, etc. Which is a stupid stupid revenue model for this category of show.

From what I am hearing online from The Expanse's prop manager, Netflix is out because they have a huge docket of Sci-Fi shows already that they wholly produce and there just isn't space for The Expanse there... Amazon on the other hand has nothing lined up and could use a critically acclaimed show in that category with a ready made fan base. They are considering picking it up... at least from what the Reddit thread is saying.

EDIT: Might be good news it seems, the prop master of the show is saying there is a possible meeting between Alcon and Amazon!!
https://twitter.com/user/status/995723447396458496

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #57
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I'll be thrilled to see it picked up with someone who can afford the costly run of this show, but damn Hulu has 2 speaker sound on their shows, its utterly infuriating.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #58
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll be thrilled to see it picked up with someone who can afford the costly run of this show, but damn Hulu has 2 speaker sound on their shows, its utterly infuriating.
Yea it is really expensive. Shows like Brooklyn 99 cost $2.5-3 million per episode compared to the $5-10 million per episode this show is costing. The petition is up to 33k people. Hopefully more momentum builds. It's doubled in a day.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #59
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expanse fans organize, hired a plane to fly a banner over Amazon Studios HQ to save the show. George RR Martin and other celebrities are chiming in now. Petition to save the show is now over 80k signatures.

Quote:
A lot of TV shows have been canceled over the past week or so, but Brooklyn Nine-Nine and (to a lesser extent) Last Man Standing have recently proven that a cancellation isn’t necessarily the end of a TV series. With those two shows having already been saved, fans of Syfy’s The Expanse are trying to kickstart a grassroots campaign to convince Amazon Studios to resurrect the sci-fi drama series. The Expanse’s Reddit community has organized multiple attempts to draw attention to the critically acclaimed show and drum up some support, with a petition to either Amazon or Netflix already shooting past 65,000 signatures and both George R.R. Martin and Patton Oswalt both talking about how great The Expanse was on Twitter

The fans have also hired an airplane to fly over Amazon Studios’ California headquarters with a banner reading “#SaveTheExpanse,” and a member of the crew has posted on Facebook that Netflix decided to pass on the show but Amazon is reportedly still interested. At this point, anyone who wants more of The Expanse should probably be sharing a lot of Expanse-related hashtags and doing everything they can to remind Amazon that both George R.R. Martin and Patton Oswalt like the show, so making them happy would probably also make a lot of Amazon subscribers happy.
https://twitter.com/user/status/995332882897035268
https://twitter.com/user/status/996474285689524224

Fan made trailer for the show blows away any promotional material that has been put up officially so far

https://news.avclub.com/get-involved...mpression=true

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-16-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #60
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The show is easily my favorite airing right now.

I actually found season 1 to be a bit slow with all the (necessary) worldbuilding they did, but since then it has been very compelling. Would be really sad if nobody picked it up. At least I could fall back on the books and read those if it comes to that.

It is strange that I love the show so much but find some of the main characters super irritating. Holden and Naomi are tough to watch for me, but the rest of the cast is fantastic. Amos and Avasarala are tops for me in particular.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noir , pew pew pew , sci fi , space opera , the expanse