Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #201
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So far. We still got bedlam.
As a Sooner fan I thought we were gonna get trampled. Pleasantly surprised that this is a game.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #202
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sure looks to me like the refs are fans of the Pokes.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #203
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever since Oklahoma took a 33-24 lead, the Sooners have been a disaster. And now, with 8:54 left, Oklahoma State has taken a 37-33 lead.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #204
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Ever since Oklahoma took a 33-24 lead, the Sooners have been a disaster. And now, with 8:54 left, Oklahoma State has taken a 37-33 lead.
I want OU to win and win in the Big12 Championship but I wouldn't want them to be in the playoff. I'm tired of being embarrassed by not winning a playoff game. They would get destroyed by Georgia, Bama, and Michigan.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #205
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida is set to hire Louisiana's Billy Napier as football coach,

Old 11-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #206
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Lincoln Riley to USC?

Looks like it.....im ok with that.

https://www.on3.com/college/usc-troj...d-clay-helton/

Last edited by transplant99; 11-28-2021 at 01:52 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #207
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the feeling he wanted nothing to do with the SEC. I think Oklahoma backs up the brinks truck up for Brent Venables now.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #208
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Still riding the high of Michigan beating ohio. Had to rewatch the game because I was puckered too much during the live run I didn’t retain anything. My child has legally been renamed Hassan Haskins.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about Iowa and a big letdown after a decade’s worth of emotion to win but I think they can do it.

Last edited by ResAlien; 11-28-2021 at 03:35 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #209
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Lincoln Riley to USC?

Looks like it.....im ok with that.

https://www.on3.com/college/usc-troj...d-clay-helton/
As an OU fan that makes me sad. USC is a big challenge but the decision might have been a little easier with OU moving to the SEC. he was making a boatload of $$$ at OU, USC will have to offer a large fortune .
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #210
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

USC is a prestige program with a lot of money so I see the appeal. But Riley is a Texan through and thorough so you would have thought competing against big 12 and SEC teams would have been up his alley. Not like he has any better chance of wining where he’s going.

It sounds like OK had a number of California recruits that are obviously in jeopardy now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #211
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

“Not like he has any better chance of winning where he’s going “ what?

Winning the PAC12 every year is way easier than going to the SEC and at best being Ole Miss. You really only have to beat Oregon, maybe Utah now and then, and the rest of the conference is not elite. With an expanded playoff, the recruiting advantage. And his system/coaching I’d be surprised if USC isn’t perennially in the playoff as long as he’s there.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #212
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
USC is a prestige program with a lot of money so I see the appeal. But Riley is a Texan through and thorough so you would have thought competing against big 12 and SEC teams would have been up his alley. Not like he has any better chance of wining where he’s going.

It sounds like OK had a number of California recruits that are obviously in jeopardy now.
It also potentially changes the QB dynamic at OU. I have to assume Spencer Rattler was going to transfer. Maybe he goes to USC now? Or maybe Caleb Williams follows Riley to USC which opens the door for Rattler to staying and getting his starting job back.

Sounds like Bob Stoops will coach OU in their Bowl game.

But yeah, playing in the SEC is a nice win situation for most teams now. The expectations on the upper level teams by their fan bases are unrealistic and impossible to live up to. Way easier to dominate the PAC 12 year after year and perpetually be in the expanded playoffs, whenever they arrive.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #213
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

LSU is apparently talking to Dabo Swinney. What a wild carousal with all the major coaching changes.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #214
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the same reasons the Pac12 is attractive I don’t know why Dabo would leave Clemson. He’s the king of the ACC, would be just one of many in the SEC. but who knows.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #215
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
“Not like he has any better chance of winning where he’s going “ what?

Winning the PAC12 every year is way easier than going to the SEC and at best being Ole Miss. You really only have to beat Oregon, maybe Utah now and then, and the rest of the conference is not elite. With an expanded playoff, the recruiting advantage. And his system/coaching I’d be surprised if USC isn’t perennially in the playoff as long as he’s there.
College football is about recruiting and the best recruits do not go to the PAC whatever conference. The PAC champions rarely have made the BCS selection and when they do, they usually get smoked.

Far more SEC teams will make the expanded playoffs and will continue to produce champions. Oklahoma was a powerhouse before he got there.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #216
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
LSU is apparently talking to Dabo Swinney. What a wild carousal with all the major coaching changes.
I can’t find anything about this. Got a link?
Old 11-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #217
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m disappointed in the news of Riley going to USC for several reasons.

First, according to reports, his method of departure to his players was, at best, abrupt. More likely, it was cowardly and selfish. I have no doubt that he preaches teamwork, accountability, and selflessness to his players, but he doesn’t seem to accept such teachings himself. Hypocrisy is easy to spot, and it looks like he’s certainly a member of that club.

Second, it is obvious now why he was reportedly in favor of Oklahoma joining the SEC. If he’s been orchestrating a move to another school, why not get your soon-to-be-former school into a conference they likely won’t win? After all, doing so may make the path to the playoffs (and more $ in your pocket, thanks to bonuses) easier for your new school.

Third, leaving after the first season where you don’t make the conference championship strikes me as a “taking my toys and going elsewhere” type of move. Sure it sucks not to be in playoff contention and not even in the conference championship game, but true fans would still stick with the coach and team. Riley, however, clearly doesn’t and won’t, which isn’t a good look.

Could just be me, but I see USC as a downgrade from OU. You’re trading tornadoes for fires and floods, current success for a blah program with good history, and a decent time zone to one that pretty much guarantees that very few will get to watch your games. But, hey, at least USC has some pretty girls and a catchy little fight song tune.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #218
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
I’m disappointed in the news of Riley going to USC for several reasons.

First, according to reports, his method of departure to his players was, at best, abrupt. More likely, it was cowardly and selfish. I have no doubt that he preaches teamwork, accountability, and selflessness to his players, but he doesn’t seem to accept such teachings himself. Hypocrisy is easy to spot, and it looks like he’s certainly a member of that club.

Second, it is obvious now why he was reportedly in favor of Oklahoma joining the SEC. If he’s been orchestrating a move to another school, why not get your soon-to-be-former school into a conference they likely won’t win? After all, doing so may make the path to the playoffs (and more $ in your pocket, thanks to bonuses) easier for your new school.

Third, leaving after the first season where you don’t make the conference championship strikes me as a “taking my toys and going elsewhere” type of move. Sure it sucks not to be in playoff contention and not even in the conference championship game, but true fans would still stick with the coach and team. Riley, however, clearly doesn’t and won’t, which isn’t a good look.

Could just be me, but I see USC as a downgrade from OU. You’re trading tornadoes for fires and floods, current success for a blah program with good history, and a decent time zone to one that pretty much guarantees that very few will get to watch your games. But, hey, at least USC has some pretty girls and a catchy little fight song tune.
Not to mention the cost of living is so much more outrageous. I get it, he probably got his pay doubled but most of that is gonna be ate up in taxes, gas, and home prices.

I am a salty Sooner fan and I am justifiably not happy today.

Lincoln was a good coach. Good, not great. I get he has to do what is best for him bc he is the only one looking out for himself.

BUT....
Just a scumbag way to handle it. Leaving the program worse-off than when you found it & saying "I'm going to USC for a new challenge" is a joke. Just a scumbag move all-around

And now that the rose colored glasses are off Lincoln Riley as the OU coach lets take a realistic look at what he did at Oklahoma

He made the playoffs 3 times but realistically he did that with the program/players built for him. In those 3 trips he did not win a game. Lets explore what happened when the players he brought in started taking over.

2017 - playoffs
2018 - playoffs
2019 - playoffs
2020 - No playoffs
2021 - Couldn't even win the big 12

Is this a Coincidence? We will see.

I think his USC teams will be at the Top of the Pac whatever number it is. You can go out there and play even less defense than the Big12 plays and win games. I just don't see his program being a CFP team... unless they expand the playoffs and have to include conference winners.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #219
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Oklahoma has targeted Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury as one of the potential replacements for Riley, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #220
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Oklahoma has targeted Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury as one of the potential replacements for Riley, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
I think this was put out by his agents to get him a pay raise. No way you go to from Cardinals (one of the best young teams in the NFL) to NCAAF. I guess there is a way but all rumors (or at least the smoke) are saying Brent Venables is next OU HC.