Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #601
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm no gun expert. Never shot one in my life and I always wondered in shows where for example people are in gun fights and they flip over a desk to shield them from automatic weapon fire if the wood would be enough to stop the bullets from passing through.
I'm not either, I asked my son who is at depot with the RCMP. He laughed and said no, so unrealistic. But he loves the show, probably more than me.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #602
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm no gun expert. Never shot one in my life and I always wondered in shows where for example people are in gun fights and they flip over a desk to shield them from automatic weapon fire if the wood would be enough to stop the bullets from passing through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
I'm not either, I asked my son who is at depot with the RCMP. He laughed and said no, so unrealistic. But he loves the show, probably more than me.
Haha nope!

Anything you see stopping a long gun round in that show really won't. Trust me on this.

In fairness many many shows/movies are the same.

Don't even start me on grenades or M72's.

As I said serious suspension of disbelief is needed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #603
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Anything you see stopping a long gun round in that show really won't.

Except the one thing that never stops bullets in those shows and movies: Water.

Watched Saving Private Ryan again and just went off on a tangent, same one I do every time I watch and ruin the landing scene for myself, about the guys getting shot in the water. This surreal scene that perfectly depicts the cacophony of horror that those landings were, showing a gruesome reality that just hadn't been depicted on a screen before and how the hell do they miss that one?!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #604
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Watched Saving Private Ryan again and just went off on a tangent, same one I do every time I watch and ruin the landing scene for myself, about the guys getting shot in the water. This surreal scene that perfectly depicts the cacophony of horror that those landings were, showing a gruesome reality that just hadn't been depicted on a screen before and how the hell do they miss that one?!

And using a good old SLR (FN). Shame they didn't use a ballistics gel dummy to show the power of that round.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #605
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Ugh! Uggggghhhhhh. It makes me so irrationally irate, and I don't understand why!

It was so ####ing easy to check and find out, Steven. Why the #### didn't you check?!

Edit- All the ####ing insane, unbelievable things about that landing. Front opening boats that created a choke point to get shot, "No one would be dumb and use that tactic in real life."

Literally just having people run up a beach towards machine guns with little to no supporting fire or air support. The sheer heroism by single men in the face of certain death. The wanton violence and disregard for the existence and life of your enemy. All this #### that you'd think was right out of a movie, already there for the picking and using and you still feel the need to have imaginary water bullets?! FFffuuuuuuu-

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 11-10-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #606
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I too am no gun expert, but I remember watching a Top Gear special when they were in Iraq and their security expert fired a hand-gun at the passenger door of a car.

The bullet went through that door....across the car....clean through the driver's side door and into a nearby hill.

So I'll go out on a limb and guess that the average desk or table would be insufficient.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #607
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Watch it again. It was about 2 feet of water. 2 feet ain't enough protection from bullets.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #608
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Watch it again. It was about 2 feet of water. 2 feet ain't enough protection from bullets.
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopener...m-bullets.html

hey Blaster how about this:

Quote:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #609
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, some of you should just chill a bit and enjoy it for what it is - a TV show. Things don't always have to be by the scientific book. Just watch it and have fun.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #610
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Man, some of you should just chill a bit and enjoy it for what it is - a TV show. Things don't always have to be by the scientific book. Just watch it and have fun.
Same thing I'm trying to do with internet forums.

Trying to...
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #611
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
And? It agrees with me ya know.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #612
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It was definitely more than two feet and even then two feet is enough to stop the movement to prevent it from going through and through.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 11-10-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #613
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yellowstone was the most watched of anything last week. I'd say it's well received.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #614
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I've been re-reading the Wheel of Time books in preparation for the show coming out this week and it's interesting to see how the trailer presented information versus the books. They're definitely going for a different narrative tone for TV and I think it'll be a good thing. The books have lots of characters trying to show no emotion at any time, but the trailer shows the opposite. The trailer has the characters openly talking to each other about things like the Dragon which is quite a departure from the way characters think or say anything regarding the Dragon. We'll see if the trailer has throwaway lines or if they're taken directly from the show though.

I'm partway into Book 3 and I had forgotten how much better the pacing was at the start of the series. Book 3 is unfortunately the start of Nynaeve tugging her braid in anger every 5 seconds, so maybe I should stop while I'm ahead.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #615
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol I've entertained doing the same thing. I've thought "maybe the books are better after knowing how it ends and things have more context", but then I try to imagine what LotR would have been like if they'd taken 10,000 pages to get from Rivendell to Mordor and come to my senses.

Movies get remakes, why can't books? There's so much good stuff in WoT, just rewrite the darn thing.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #616
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched the first three WoT episodes. I enjoyed them but they are almost too 'by the book'. Hard to say for certain as it's been a long time since reading the books but it seemed some/most of the dialogue was word for word. Definately pulled some strings from my long forgotten memory.

How long is the season and does anyone know what they plan to cover book wise in this first season?
Old 11-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #617
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
I watched the first three WoT episodes. I enjoyed them but they are almost too 'by the book'. Hard to say for certain as it's been a long time since reading the books but it seemed some/most of the dialogue was word for word. Definately pulled some strings from my long forgotten memory.

How long is the season and does anyone know what they plan to cover book wise in this first season?
I think there will be a Wheel and it presumably tells time.

This whole show is going to wind up ending in a Swiss watch shop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #618
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched the first three episodes as it was always a series I planned on getting around to reading.

I thought it was pretty ok. Except for the character Rand. Petty I know but that casting could be the reason I check out. I don't like his voice, I don't like his face and I don't really like the character either.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #619
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

New season of Hanna dropped today. I've really enjoyed this show.

The first season was excellent, the second season plodded a little, but I'm looking forward to Season 3.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #620
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Is there a dedicated Yellowstone thread? Search is failing me.

This season has been pretty good I thought, more Dallas than Sons of Anarchy which I really like. The Alberta shout out was neat to.