Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #1141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
FA has banned Cavani for 3 games for his Instagram post. Typical FA, there's just no consistency. Bernardo Silva got 1 game for exactly the same, but hey, why would you hand out the same punishment for the same offense, right?
That is completely insane. Or a nothingburger.

Not sure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #1142
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
FA has banned Cavani for 3 games for his Instagram post. Typical FA, there's just no consistency. Bernardo Silva got 1 game for exactly the same, but hey, why would you hand out the same punishment for the same offense, right?
Because the rules changed this season to a 3 game minimum.

I've no doubt that he did anything wrong or out of malice. Nonetheless, I've no problem with it as it sets a benchmark that will get rid of any grey areas for future cases.

Having said that I'm disappointed. I expected him to get off and United to be awarded a penalty at the start of their next three games for the inconvenience.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #1143
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
It gets brought up because of the confusion of VAR. It is difficult to understand why certain plays get looked at in slow motion and inspected for any sort of foul, and other plays get brushed off.

Just the other week we looked at Robertson’s kick on Welbeck and you said it is a certain pen because any illegal contact in the box is a foul. Why is that different then this situation? The only difference I see is that Welbeck flopped to the ground to get VAR’s attention, and Mane didn’t react.
Why is it different? Because there is NO foul. Mane is wading through flailing arms. That's it. Not every contact is illegal. Despite what Mr I don't know what parked the bus means says He does NOT wrap his hands around Mane, nor does he attempt to hold him back.

Robertson on the other hand kicked Welbeck full force. That's a foul anywhere on the pitch anytime in the game. It's a no brainer.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #1144
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Why is it different? Because there is NO foul. Mane is wading through flailing arms. That's it. Not every contact is illegal. Despite what Mr I don't know what parked the bus means says He does NOT wrap his hands around Mane, nor does he attempt to hold him back.

Robertson on the other hand kicked Welbeck full force. That's a foul anywhere on the pitch anytime in the game. It's a no brainer.
It’s not just flailing arms. And for the record, I’m not asking for a pen. I’d rather the ref look at the two incidents and decide that the minimal contact wasn’t enough to affect the game and play on, but it makes no sense to me to scrutinize one with VAR and call it by the book, and then just ignore the other.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #1145
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Thats a 'No Brainer' for sure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #1146
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

So big a no brainer Mane and every Pool player was screaming for a penalty.

I mean. Mane clearly felt he was fouled.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #1147
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not just flailing arms. And for the record, I’m not asking for a pen. I’d rather the ref look at the two incidents and decide that the minimal contact wasn’t enough to affect the game and play on, but it makes no sense to me to scrutinize one with VAR and call it by the book, and then just ignore the other.
Because VAR, like the ref, and like ALL the players including Mane didn't feel there was anything to review.

Welbeck? Are you saying a full power driving your foot into someone's shin is "minimal contact"?

Old 12-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #1148
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Because VAR, like the ref, and like ALL the players including Mane didn't feel there was anything to review.

Welbeck? Are you saying a full power driving your foot into someone's shin is "minimal contact"?
I’m saying that the two plays are pretty similar and should be treated as such. In the end the only reason one is a pen and one isn’t is because Welbeck dives after taking three steps after the contact and triggers a VAR review.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #1149
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m saying that the two plays are pretty similar and should be treated as such. In the end the only reason one is a pen and one isn’t is because Welbeck dives after taking three steps after the contact and triggers a VAR review.
I don't see it that way at all. One is a full blooded kick straight on and a foul any day of the week. The other is a scramble where hands are laid on but there is no attempt to pull back. Not a foul.

Mane dives. I still think there's no penalty awarded.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #1150
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

West Ham! Keeping themselves mid-table!

Old 01-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #1151
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

wasn't necessarily pretty but I'll take it. Nice result against a pretty good team.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #1152
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't stand Oliver.
Blows up HT at 46:55 when Utd have a corner. Should be asked to explain that.
Then plays a full extra minute when Villa on the attack.
You know it's a no brainer penalty when even he's forced to give it.

Bailly was fantastic. Lindelof take a seat.

Didn't get the subs. Thought Fred should have came off and James for Bruno?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #1153
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it somewhat funny that, even though it's sad and stupid that footballers break Covid rules, these idiots will happily take group photos of their breaches that can then make its way onto social media.

Quote:
Tottenham Hotspur trio Erik Lamela, Giovani Lo Celso and Sergio Reguilón and West Ham United’s Manuel Lanzini held a Christmas gathering in breach of the coronavirus rules, it has emerged.

A photograph has been circulated on social media showing the quartet and some of their friends and family breaking coronavirus laws and Premier League rules.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...tmas-gathering
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 05:46 AM   #1154
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

PL needs to either ban and fine them and their clubs for whatever rule they can find and if no law exists immediately create one.

This is a billion pound industry at risk from individual(s) deliberate floutation of the law.

That and public prosecution.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #1155
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
PL needs to either ban and fine them and their clubs for whatever rule they can find and if no law exists immediately create one.

This is a billion pound industry at risk from individual(s) deliberate floutation of the law.

That and public prosecution.
Make Spurs forfeit against Marine

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #1156
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pochettino takes over as manager at PSG.

A mistake from Man United to not figure it out and hire him as manager IMO.

Sure they are on a bit of a better run of form and are level on points with Liverpool but I still don’t think OGS has the makings of a top tier manager.

Guess if they can keep up this form then they may prove me wrong but sometimes I feel like that squad almost wins in spite of his managerial decisions just because they are a very talented group.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-02-2021 at 09:21 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #1157
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of managerial changes, surely this is it for Chris Wilder? I mean unless Sheffield have accepted relegation and want him to guide them back to the PL? Because even if you know you'll hire a worse replacement, at some point change for the sake of change just has to happen to try and salvage this thing.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #1158
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Pochettino takes over as manager at PSG.

A mistake from Man United to not figure it out and hire him as manager IMO.

Sure they are on a bit of a better run of form and are level on points with Liverpool but I still don’t think OGS has the makings of a top tier manager.

Guess if they can keep up this form then they may prove me wrong but sometimes I feel like that squad almost wins in spite of his managerial decisions just because they are a very talented group.
What form would that be?
Their form over the 2020 calendar year where he was just a point in third behind Pep and blew Frank, Jose et al out of the water?
Or since they resumed after lockdown they've been the best performing team in the PL.

But sure. Focus on a small sample size of a crap start where they had no preseason and tell yourself that they're just on a better run of form now whilst ignoring the data both sides of it.

I don't feel they've missed out on Pep. What's so special about him?

Old 01-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #1159
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope after the recent discussion here that everyone saw the video of Pogba telling Shaw to dive after the minimal contact in the box?

Anyway, on another topic, Leeds was fun to watch today as they do play a really aggressive press and are constantly attacking. I know they didn’t appreciate the comment this week that they only came up because of the Covid break, but after watching them I wonder if there’s some truth to that. They’ve got everyone running hard for 90 minutes. There’s no way that’s sustainable, right? It’s entertaining, but having players sprint the length of the field time and time again has to be a recipe for disaster as the season progresses?

I think they stay up, but at the same time it’s got to catch up with them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #1160
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What form would that be?
Their form over the 2020 calendar year where he was just a point in third behind Pep and blew Frank, Jose et al out of the water?
Or since they resumed after lockdown they've been the best performing team in the PL.

But sure. Focus on a small sample size of a crap start where they had no preseason and tell yourself that they're just on a better run of form now whilst ignoring the data both sides of it.

I don't feel they've missed out on Pep. What's so special about him?
27 penalties since OGS took over, jammy last minute winners and sheer luck. It’s going to prop you up for a while, but let’s not pretend that this is some managerial skill. It’s completely unsustainable, and while I’m sure the media loves a United/Liverpool title race, it’s a question of how long that keeps going.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote