Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2024, 08:35 AM   #5241
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Thank you! Bummed to see the high retaining wall still there 5 years later, but at least they've dressed it up a bit. Still pumped to go, nice pics.

Good to see the new spire fully installed, last I saw on a video it was still encased in wiring.
Our last trip we went and watched this:
https://www.flyview360.com/en/experiences/notre-dame

It was pretty good and had many interesting bits. I believe they were originally shooting this as a regular VR of the cathedral and then the fire happened and they pivoted. They got pretty early access into it post fire and have interesting shots from soon after. If you really like the cathedral it would be worth going to.

Quote:
Notre-Dame: before and after the fire
Its name alone provokes emotion. Exclusively at FlyView Paris, we offer you a unique 360° immersion in the Cathedral, now inaccessible, as if you were there. Better still, you will be able to rediscover what once was thanks to never-before-seen images that bring to life the splendour of this magical place.

Enter the cathedral to relive the beauty of Notre-Dame before the ravages of fire. A unique experience in the world that is waiting for you.

During this complete and unique tour, you will be captivated by the spectacular images filmed "before and after", only a few weeks before and after the fire. These sequences will make you relive the former splendour of the monument. You will then become aware of the scale of the disaster, and above all of the challenge that remains to be accomplished to "save" Notre-Dame.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 11:42 AM   #5242
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
What do you guys like to use for carrying your passports, travel cash, any paper boarding passes etc? When we go on vacation I seem to be in charge of all the paper work for the three of us, and am always worried I’m going to lose something important. I was considering one of those sling bags, or are those reserved for old wankers (which I am not, yet)
I have one of those old man neck passport wallets. Very useful at the airport as I hate opening and closing my backpack. Basically I put the passport wallet around my neck when leaving the house and take it off on the plane.

I tend to print a lot less now. Usually 4-5 pieces of paper, which fits in easily.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:00 PM   #5243
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any best options for a Mexico SIM card? 2 out of 3 of our iPhones are older and don’t have eSIM capability. Last year I went to Walmart but that took a bit of time. Are the ones from Amazon better?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:50 AM   #5244
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

First experience with an Airalo eSim in SE Asia tonight. So frustrating to activate. Never again. Useless instructions, slow, useless support.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:05 AM   #5245
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
What do you guys like to use for carrying your passports, travel cash, any paper boarding passes etc? When we go on vacation I seem to be in charge of all the paper work for the three of us, and am always worried I’m going to lose something important. I was considering one of those sling bags, or are those reserved for old wankers (which I am not, yet)
I just put passports in an interior pocket of my purse, honestly. A printed boarding pass goes in between the iPad mini and its cover. I carry a forgettable amount of cash so that's not a big deal.

These bags are also pretty well made and have RFID protection. I have one similar to this but I only use it for really sketchy places so I don't use it that often. There are a lot of different styles to fit your look.

https://pacsafe.com/collections/cros...rossbody-bag-4
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:34 AM   #5246
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
First experience with an Airalo eSim in SE Asia tonight. So frustrating to activate. Never again. Useless instructions, slow, useless support.
So far any time I've had an issue with Airalo, it's been one of two things:

1) The APN for the Airalo e-sim doesn't get set correctly, or at all. The APN varies by country, but with Airalo it virtually always seems to be either: wbdata or globaldata

If you Google your phone name followed by: how to set the apn
you can double check and make sure the APN is set.

(The instructions for your e-sim are supposed to show what the APN should be set to)

2) Occasionally I've had to change the SIM from automatically detecting a network, to manually selecting the network.

And then I try manually selecting different networks that the Airalo SIM is supposed to support.

There was one other time where nothing worked no matter what I tried, and it's definitely frustrating when it happens. So far I've found it to be pretty rare, it's happened once in about 20.

I have also heard that Airalo support has gone downhill.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 03-12-2024 at 05:06 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 10:30 PM   #5247
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I just put passports in an interior pocket of my purse, honestly. A printed boarding pass goes in between the iPad mini and its cover. I carry a forgettable amount of cash so that's not a big deal.

These bags are also pretty well made and have RFID protection. I have one similar to this but I only use it for really sketchy places so I don't use it that often. There are a lot of different styles to fit your look.

https://pacsafe.com/collections/cros...rossbody-bag-4

How is this one as a man-bag? ...as in metrosexual, not too feminine? Actually been trying to track one down but they seem rather expensive.

Can it hold a small mirrorless digital camera with small lens?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 06:59 AM   #5248
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
How is this one as a man-bag? ...as in metrosexual, not too feminine? Actually been trying to track one down but they seem rather expensive.

From their site it looks pretty unisex

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 AM   #5249
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like they have a smaller crossbody one also. Thoughts on this one?

https://pacsafe.com/collections/cros...tech-crossbody
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:27 AM   #5250
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any tips on travelling to Salzburg, Austria (side trip from Germany coming up in a couple of months)?
(also any tips on travelling in Germany - Stuttgart to Munich relative areas - we'll be training it)

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2024, 10:49 AM   #5251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any tips on travelling to Salzburg, Austria (side trip from Germany coming up in a couple of months)?
(also any tips on travelling in Germany - Stuttgart to Munich relative areas - we'll be training it)

Thanks!
The river boat is a great way to see the city and take a load of your feet for a bit.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 08:20 PM   #5252
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post

The one I have is a bit smaller and more feminine (shape and color), so that one probably wouldn't work for you. The design I linked is new since I bought mine about 4 years ago.

It can fit my iPad mini and noise cancelling headphones, plus some passports, cash, and paperwork. If I am flying I will still take my purse with me to the airport but as a day bag it works well.

Once I take the headphones out and leave them at the hotel, it is very useful to hold valuables if traveling in a questionable area. The slash guard, turn lock zipper, and RFID protection are nice features.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:34 PM   #5253
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
So far any time I've had an issue with Airalo, it's been one of two things:

1) The APN for the Airalo e-sim doesn't get set correctly, or at all. The APN varies by country, but with Airalo it virtually always seems to be either: wbdata or globaldata

If you Google your phone name followed by: how to set the apn
you can double check and make sure the APN is set.

(The instructions for your e-sim are supposed to show what the APN should be set to)

2) Occasionally I've had to change the SIM from automatically detecting a network, to manually selecting the network.

And then I try manually selecting different networks that the Airalo SIM is supposed to support.

There was one other time where nothing worked no matter what I tried, and it's definitely frustrating when it happens. So far I've found it to be pretty rare, it's happened once in about 20.

I have also heard that Airalo support has gone downhill.
What e-sim do you recommend?
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:03 PM   #5254
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m thinking I may start using a man-bag for more than just vacations. They’re so useful.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:10 PM   #5255
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I just learned of Airalo recently while watching a VLOG of a European couple traveling through China and Taiwan and they said great things about it, and thus I downloaded it, planning to try it when I get over to Asia.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:26 PM   #5256
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
What e-sim do you recommend?
Airalo is still the market leader in this space by a country mile. And historically they've always had the most happy customers. I can't really comment on whether or not their support has taken a nosedive (that's just what I've heard), as I've only ever had to contact their support once, and that was a few years ago. >80% of the time someone mentions using an e-sim, it's likely Airalo.

HolaFly, Nomad, and Ubigi are the other 3 I see mentioned the most. I tried Ubigi in Colombia recently and it worked perfectly.

At the end of the day, e-sim providers all essentially work in an identical fashion with the same underlying technology and often use the same providers. Although not always.

When you go to the e-sim's website, and click on the country name, and pretend to go through the steps, you can see who they're *really* using as the provider. (it varies by country) That is about the only differentiating factor for me.

Customer support could potentially be the other differentiating factor, but like I say, on over 20 trips with e-sims I've only had to contact support once about the e-sim not working. So I can't really say how good or bad support really is for any of these e-sim providers. I'd say >95% of the time I see someone mention their experience with using an e-sim, it's a positive experience.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 09:12 AM   #5257
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone travel to Germany in last few months affected by these on again, off again train employee strikes?
Old 03-18-2024, 02:28 PM   #5258
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I just learned of Airalo recently while watching a VLOG of a European couple traveling through China and Taiwan and they said great things about it, and thus I downloaded it, planning to try it when I get over to Asia.
Download and activate the esim at home on wifi a day before heading out.

Any person that i know that has had issues is due to trying to activate it at the airport or when they get to the country.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 02:34 PM   #5259
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

Thanks!
Berchtesgarten and Konigsee are very close and beautiful (also Eagles nest is near there).

Youre also close to Fussen and Neuschwannstein Castle (although, if you get a chance, there are a few more King Ludwig spots in the area worth checking out too!

South of Stuttgart is the Black Forest Area and is beautiful to drive though with some quaint inns and restaurants. Triberg is the home of Black Forest cake and has a ton of awesome ####oo clocks you should consider buying
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:46 PM   #5260
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Used Ubigi in Japan. Worked straight off the plane, had pretty good connections everywhere except in some buildings.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote