Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2022, 04:13 PM   #5061
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I much prefer Winston to either course at CH.

The Winston needs a new clubhouse, given the debacle Bearspaw just went through, I wouldn't go anywhere near joining there.

I've heard that it's hard to get weekend tee times at CH. They have one of the largest memberships in the city.

I'd see if you can buy someone's privileges at both/either course before making the plunge.

Any reason you didn't include Inglewood? It doesn't have the elevation of Winston or CH, but is still a decent track that really gets through the bag. Conditions are top notch and decent practice facilities, actually all three courses have nice practice areas.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #5062
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I much prefer Winston to either course at CH.

The Winston needs a new clubhouse, given the debacle Bearspaw just went through, I wouldn't go anywhere near joining there.

I've heard that it's hard to get weekend tee times at CH. They have one of the largest memberships in the city.

I'd see if you can buy someone's privileges at both/either course before making the plunge.

Any reason you didn't include Inglewood? It doesn't have the elevation of Winston or CH, but is still a decent track that really gets through the bag. Conditions are top notch and decent practice facilities, actually all three courses have nice practice areas.
Cheers - big reason why I just want to get on as an annual at The Winston is because of the pending clubhouse situation. I don't want to buy "equity", immediately get cash called and end up with Bearspaw 2.0. They have literally been trying to build a clubhouse and get membership buy in for over 10 years so that worries me a bit. Don't mind Inglewood but just a pain to get to from where I'm at in the central NW with Deerfoot & rush hour.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kcin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #5063
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMHO the big negative on Inglewood is the general noise aroudn teh course. As it is surrounded by deerfoot, blackfoot and the train yard across the river.

but otherwise, it is has nice mature trees.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #5064
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple questions for Lanny and other Arizona regulars.

We'll be in Tucson the first week of April. Any good course recommendations for that area? Looking for some days with good golfers, and some days with teenagers who play a bit.

Second question, my wife is flying out of Phoenix halfway to visit family in California halfway through the trip and we're going to drive up the day before for an afternoon/night in the Phoenix area. Any recommendations for a nice hotel and restaurant? Would one of the resorts like Talking Stick work out for a night, or are there better choices? She's flying out at noon the next day, so doesn't have to be too close the airport, but somewhat accessible would be good.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #5065
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tucson has some pretty sweet tracks.

I always recommend people play Sewailo, which is on the far west side of town. It's a Notah Begay design, and with the exception of one hole (10) is a really great layout. University of Arizona plays out of there now, so that should give you an idea of the challenge and the conditions. Top notch. Have the Barrio Blonde while you're there (local micro brew) or go and visit the actual tap room downtown. Food is great and the beer is better!

I would also recommend Starr Pass. 27 holes, but the best combo is Roadrunner/Rattler. Just a challenge on every shot that makes you think your way around the course.

Another favorite is La Paloma. Very up and down with a lot of side lies through the rolling terrain. Great conditions and very playable for the most part. Just make sure you don't play it if it is cart path only. It will kill you!!!

A hidden gem that I highly recommend, especially for those who are golf junkies, is Tubac Resort, about 35 minutes down I-19. It's an easy course, but is a must play as it is the site of the filming of Tin Cup. You can play golf then have a drink and meal in the restaurant where Cup made the pelican jump off the stump by the pond (9th hole on Anza, watch out for the cows long!). Tubac is also a great day trip for the non-golfers as it is an artisan community and there is a number of shops and museums to keep people busy. Make sure you control the credit card. Every time I go down there it costs me more away from the course than at it. Enjoyable golf, better shopping, and the restaurants in the little community are top notch.

If you're looking for something pretty easy that anyone can play, Quarry Pines is pretty decent. It's right off I-10 on a few holes, which can make it a little noisy, but it is very playable. Usually a very good value too.

My final recommendation is Ventana Canyon. It's 36 holes, and both golf courses are excellent. Both can be punishingly difficult and expensive, so be warned. The scenery is excellent, especially on the Mountain course, so bring your camera. The best opportunities to see wild life are on this course or Starr Pass (I've been chased from a hole by javlina at Starr Pass, and run into lots of deer at Ventana).

A course I will tell you stay away from is Dove Mountain, where they used to play the Accenture Match Play. It's a wonderful layout, but brutally tough, and the conditions are usually hit and miss (more often miss). It can be fun, but you really need to play it five or more times to get the lay of the land and really enjoy it. Otherwise it can be a very frustrating day and not worth the money.

For your stay in Phoenix, Talking Stick is a good pick. Close to the airport and had decent amenities. The restaurants are okay, but you're close enough to Scottsdale (old town Scottsdale too) to have a night out with some great restaurants and have a short Uber/cab back to Talking Stick. My recommendation is Bourbon and Bones. Great food and drinks. Make a reservation! If you're looking for something more "local" (Mexican) then I would suggest Frank and Lupe's. The food is really good, but you can run into some wait times as they also do catering, and that can impact service from time-to-time. The margaritas make up for any delays though!

If you want to experience more of the university scene, you can always stay near campus (Tempe Mission Palms or the Marriot Residence Inn) and then take in the plethora of restaurants on Mill Avenue. I personally don't recommend this, but there are plenty of people who appreciate this scene, and you can restaurant/bar hop for hours. Just a suggestion based on airport accessibility, but I think you are probably better off taking in Old Town and staying at Talking Stick.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 10:44 PM   #5066
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post

I always recommend people play Sewailo, which is on the far west side of town. It's a Notah Begay design, and with the exception of one hole (10) is a really great layout. University of Arizona plays out of there now, so that should give you an idea of the challenge and the conditions. Top notch. Have the Barrio Blonde while you're there (local micro brew) or go and visit the actual tap room downtown. Food is great and the beer is better!

I would also recommend Starr Pass. 27 holes, but the best combo is Roadrunner/Rattler. Just a challenge on every shot that makes you think your way around the course.

Another favorite is La Paloma. Very up and down with a lot of side lies through the rolling terrain. Great conditions and very playable for the most part. Just make sure you don't play it if it is cart path only. It will kill you!!!

A hidden gem that I highly recommend, especially for those who are golf junkies, is Tubac Resort, about 35 minutes down I-19. It's an easy course, but is a must play as it is the site of the filming of Tin Cup. You can play golf then have a drink and meal in the restaurant where Cup made the pelican jump off the stump by the pond (9th hole on Anza, watch out for the cows long!). Tubac is also a great day trip for the non-golfers as it is an artisan community and there is a number of shops and museums to keep people busy. Make sure you control the credit card. Every time I go down there it costs me more away from the course than at it. Enjoyable golf, better shopping, and the restaurants in the little community are top notch.

If you're looking for something pretty easy that anyone can play, Quarry Pines is pretty decent. It's right off I-10 on a few holes, which can make it a little noisy, but it is very playable. Usually a very good value too.

My final recommendation is Ventana Canyon. It's 36 holes, and both golf courses are excellent. Both can be punishingly difficult and expensive, so be warned. The scenery is excellent, especially on the Mountain course, so bring your camera. The best opportunities to see wild life are on this course or Starr Pass (I've been chased from a hole by javlina at Starr Pass, and run into lots of deer at Ventana).

A course I will tell you stay away from is Dove Mountain, where they used to play the Accenture Match Play. It's a wonderful layout, but brutally tough, and the conditions are usually hit and miss (more often miss). It can be fun, but you really need to play it five or more times to get the lay of the land and really enjoy it. Otherwise it can be a very frustrating day and not worth the money.

For your stay in Phoenix, Talking Stick is a good pick. Close to the airport and had decent amenities. The restaurants are okay, but you're close enough to Scottsdale (old town Scottsdale too) to have a night out with some great restaurants and have a short Uber/cab back to Talking Stick. My recommendation is Bourbon and Bones. Great food and drinks. Make a reservation! If you're looking for something more "local" (Mexican) then I would suggest Frank and Lupe's. The food is really good, but you can run into some wait times as they also do catering, and that can impact service from time-to-time. The margaritas make up for any delays though!

If you want to experience more of the university scene, you can always stay near campus (Tempe Mission Palms or the Marriot Residence Inn) and then take in the plethora of restaurants on Mill Avenue. I personally don't recommend this, but there are plenty of people who appreciate this scene, and you can restaurant/bar hop for hours. Just a suggestion based on airport accessibility, but I think you are probably better off taking in Old Town and staying at Talking Stick.
Thanks Lanny... Lots of good info!!
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #5067
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heading to Cape Breton in July and so far we've lined up Bell Bay in Baddeck and Le Portage in Cheticamp. We can book Cabot 30 days out so we'll be calling and re-arranging things around that if we're able to get something.

One more course to add (we've got 4 days available for golf) so we're looking at Highlands Links or Truro. Anyone played either of those?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #5068
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you'd be kicking yourself to be making a golf trip to Nova Scotia and not play Highland Links. An old Stanley Thompson, basically in the middle of nowhere on an island that itself feels remote and isolated, it's a cool place. Even with the inland holes, I'm not sure you'll find a stretch of golf holes that feels further away from civilization than in those trees. Kind of a cool feeling.

Yeah it's a lot more expensive. The conditions can be questionable (so far out of the way, small budget, hard to get staff). And it's a real pain to get to. But it's worth it, IMO (though I didn't have to pay or drive). While I haven't played it, I don't think one needs to go to Nova Scotia to play a course like Truro, but you won't find many courses quite like Highland Links.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #5069
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This weather just makes me anxious for golf season. I can’t wait! (This part of the year is also when I’m most optimistic about my game and how good it’ll get this summer…which lasts maybe until the 5th hole that first round!)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #5070
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this rate TPC Fox Hollow will be open next week.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #5071
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This weather just makes me anxious for golf season. I can’t wait! (This part of the year is also when I’m most optimistic about my game and how good it’ll get this summer…which lasts maybe until the 5th hole that first round!)
I'm excited as well, got my sim setup again in the garage. Started lessons again.

Will get fitted for some new clubs this week (hopefully supply chain won't be an issue)

I usually get 1 good round to start the season before my hopes are dashed about setting personal bests.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 10:04 AM   #5072
DinnerDog
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
I'm excited as well, got my sim setup again in the garage. Started lessons again.

Will get fitted for some new clubs this week (hopefully supply chain won't be an issue)

I usually get 1 good round to start the season before my hopes are dashed about setting personal bests.
I've heard that shafts are the real hold-up right now. KBS reps are telling OEMs C-Tapers are not shipping until 2023, just checked the TaylorMade website and the original Project X shafts say they aren't available until July 2023... Not sure about Dynamic Gold's but certainly appears anything stepless is severely backlogged right now..
DinnerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #5073
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Warm weather has me excited to play again. Got a time booked this weekend at launch pad. Probably play a round or 2!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:24 AM   #5074
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you been before?

How is it?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #5075
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Have you been before?

How is it?
Yah been a few times.

It’s great playing a round and not being on a simulator. The target games are sorta of boring like it is at top golf. But we played pebble beach last time I was there.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #5076
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinnerDog View Post
I've heard that shafts are the real hold-up right now. KBS reps are telling OEMs C-Tapers are not shipping until 2023, just checked the TaylorMade website and the original Project X shafts say they aren't available until July 2023... Not sure about Dynamic Gold's but certainly appears anything stepless is severely backlogged right now..
Just got PXG gen 4 with Project X rifle and they were delivered to my spec in three days. Don't think shafts are the hold up.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #5077
DinnerDog
Draft Pick

Quote:
Just got PXG gen 4 with Project X rifle and they were delivered to my spec in three days. Don't think shafts are the hold up.
Hmm weird, I've been watching a few threads on GolfWRX and it does seem to be shafts, mainly KBS having issues from Taiwan but looks like certain models / stiffness, who knows.

In any event, enjoy the gen 4's!
DinnerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #5078
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinnerDog View Post
Hmm weird, I've been watching a few threads on GolfWRX and it does seem to be shafts, mainly KBS having issues from Taiwan but looks like certain models / stiffness, who knows.
Maybe Parsons bought out a whole bunch of stock or has access to channels other manufacturers don't have, but when I went through the fitting process I tried seven different shafts in irons and five in woods and they said they could have any configuration delivered in five days.

Quote:
In any event, enjoy the gen 4's!
Thanks! So far, they've been a work in progress. First round was a complete ####e show. couldn't hit them to save my life and my yardages were all over the roadmap. Shot a stunning 92 and was questioning myself and what I had done. Next two rounds were better with the last playing in a two to three club wind and still managing a 77 with a triple bogey in the mix. Wonderful feel and long when you hit them, but a little different swing weight. Looking forward to better days ahead and some low scores.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #5079
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A couple follow up questions. I imagine most of these courses are cart only. Some days will be me with 3 kids between 14-15. The 15 yo has his learner's permit. Any idea on the age they'll give out golf carts there or if they'll care?

Our house is a few minutes from El Conquistador, do you know anything about that course?

Also, I see there is a private course right nearby that is part of Club Corp we can play Oro Valley Country Club. Do you know anything about that course?
Old 02-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #5080
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

75 days until Bandon

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow