Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #21
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a HORRIBLE contract! I think the jets made a big mistake locking this guy up long term, I mean he's already 25 and has only been nominated for the Vezina once and only led his team to the WCF once and his career save % of .917.

Once they realize the mistake they've made, the Flames should take him off their hands. I mean it's only the nice thing to do...
Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This puts the Jets at 59 million with Trouba and Morrissey and 10 forwards under contract.

Next year could be tough with Laine coming up to probably a 10 million dollar deal, Connor coming up as well. If Connor has another season like this one he's looking at Drai numbers. they also only have two dmen under contract for next year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Got pretty badly outplayed by Fleury in the conference final - which was the difference in the series IMO.

The numbers are about what you would expect, I guess, but tieing up that much cash on a goalie always makes me nervous. Unless they have a long and stable track record to justify it. And I don't know that we can say that about him yet.
Yea but he got them to the conference final. If it brought him to Calgary, I would match this deal in a heartbeat
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #24
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jets had to call here whether to extend long term (comparable Holtby) or bridge (comparable Vasilevsky, Murray). They had already given him a 1 year deal off his ELC, and he had a better statistical year going into contract talks than the two bridged goalies mentioned above, so the long term deal now is probably the better play.
Even if he regresses slightly, he is still in Martin Jones/Frederik Anderson level, so would not be massively overpaid.
Only way this ends up badly is if he crashes hard, and his numbers at every level up to now suggest that is less likely. IMO he either levels off to the Jones/Anderson level and is overpaid by a touch, or this ends up a solid deal to keep the Jets competitive long term
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This puts the Jets at 59 million with Trouba and Morrissey and 10 forwards under contract.

Next year could be tough with Laine coming up to probably a 10 million dollar deal, Connor coming up as well. If Connor has another season like this one he's looking at Drai numbers. they also only have two dmen under contract for next year.
Wheeler will also need a new deal. The Jets will need to undergo some significant changes before next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I assume you mean Trouba and Morrissey are yet to be signed. I foresee a difficult negotiation with Trouba.

Myers is a UFA after next season. I think he gets about the same as he currently makes though.

They currently only have Broissoit as a backup and might just want someone more solid at a slightly larger salary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #27
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Got pretty badly outplayed by Fleury in the conference final - which was the difference in the series IMO.

The numbers are about what you would expect, I guess, but tieing up that much cash on a goalie always makes me nervous. Unless they have a long and stable track record to justify it. And I don't know that we can say that about him yet.
Go look at how well Fleury played in that series then after.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Good signing for the Jets.

He's a top 10 goalie, and this takes him through his prime years.

Very solid contract.
I like Hellebuyck but I'm actually not sure he's a Top 10 goalie yet.

Bobrovsky, Gibson, Rinne, Crawford, Dubnyk, Quick, Fleury, Price, Holtby, Lundqvist would all still be ahead of him at this point based on how long they have been good now.

Then I'm not sure he's better than guys like Murray, Vasilevsky, F. Anderson, Rask, Talbot, Raanta, Varlamov but at worst he's in the same tier as them.

So I'd say he's safely top 20 but not quite top 10 yet.

Still think it's a decent contract though.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-12-2018 at 10:49 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
easy. because is NHL career is very small. 2 years as a starter with one season having only a .907 save%

I think he's a good goalie and will be a very good starter, but you can't guarantee that with only one good NHL season behind him, despite his AHL and university stats.
I dunno, if Flames had a chance to sign Hellebuyck to this deal, I think 99% of Flames fans would be all over it. So that tells me it's a good deal for the Jets.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I assume you mean Trouba and Morrissey are yet to be signed. I foresee a difficult negotiation with Trouba.

Myers is a UFA after next season. I think he gets about the same as he currently makes though.

They currently only have Broissoit as a backup and might just want someone more solid at a slightly larger salary.

Yeah you got me.

I think that Trouba was asking for an 8x8 which to me is a trade me demand.

I think the best move for the Jets is to try to move him, he was difficult in the last negotiation, they need to see if they can find a hockey trade for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
Go look at how well Fleury played in that series then after.
So you're saying goalies are inconsistent? Interesting defense of your boy and his contract.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I dunno, if Flames had a chance to sign Hellebuyck to this deal, I think 99% of Flames fans would be all over it. So that tells me it's a good deal for the Jets.
that just tells me that the flames have had a lot of mediocre to poor goalies since kipper.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #33
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point you have to find your number one and lock him up. Show me a team that has had meaningful success while constantly searching for new goalies.

Of course sometimes it doesn't work out (Mrazek) but almost always better than the alternative.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Well there you have it. This deal must be good. If anyone was going to #### all over it it would be this guy
This pleased me.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #35
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone who's criticizing this one doesn't watch a lot of Jets games. Hellebuyck is the real deal. This is a great deal for a Vezina-nominated starting goaltender in 2018.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #36
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If getting outplayed in a short series was fatal, you'd see few if any goalies in the league.

Including Fleury who got dumped by Pittsburgh for playoff failures.

Crawford got badly outplayed by Smith when Phoenix upset Chicago some years back in the first round, and he eventually got two Stanley Cups where he played important roles in both.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #37
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I like Hellebuyck but I'm actually not sure he's a Top 10 goalie yet.

Bobrovsky, Gibson, Rinne, Crawford, Dubnyk, Quick, Fleury, Price, Holtby, Lundqvist would all still be ahead of him at this point based on how long they have been good now.

Then I'm not sure he's better than guys like Murray, Vasilevsky, F. Anderson, Rask, Talbot, Raanta, Varlamov but at worst he's in the same tier as them.

So I'd say he's safely top 20 but not quite top 10 yet.

Still think it's a decent contract though.
If Smith is not in the top 20 then the Flames are in trouble.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #38
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like a really favourable contract for the Jets. The guy played 67 games in the regular season and had a .924 SV% + 17 more in the playoffs with a .922 SV%. Doesn't even feel like much of a gamble.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #39
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This seems like a really favourable contract for the Jets.
Cane predicted that if he signed a 6 year deal he would get $6,821,075

Home town discount of $654 K x 6. Payback to the organization for giving him a chance to play instead of sticking with veterans Pavlec and Mason.

The Jets are going to need all the cap space they can scrape together.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-12-2018 at 11:44 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #40
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's folks who are crowning Parsons as a franchise goalie in the prospects thread despite him struggling in his first pro year.

Yet Helleybuck at 25 was a vezina finalist and has shown he's capable at every level he's played at but are questioning this contract?

Great contract for the Jets. He's money.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post: