Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Dube, Dillon 188 49.74%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 23 6.08%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 3 0.79%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.53%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 27 7.14%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 55 14.55%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 75 19.84%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 1 0.26%
Phillips, Matthew 3 0.79%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 1 0.26%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #21
New Era
Franchise Player
 
New Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Dube, Foo, Kylington, Gillies, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Sveningsson, Parsons, Tuulola round out the top 10 IMO. The prospect depth is getting pretty ugly. Gotta stop trading away our top prospects and draft picks. The cupboard could use some restocking.
New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

The Flames' prospect list is a little thinner than Vancouver's, sure. But we have:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, Jankowski, Czarnik, Lazar, Hanifin, Kulak, and Rittich,

all on the roster and all 25 or younger. That list will get supplemented with some of:

Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Parsons or Gillies over the next couple years.

I get the impression sometimes that some fans would rather have prospects than actual NHL players.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #23
mikephoen
First Line Centre
 
mikephoen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Flames' prospect list is a little thinner than Vancouver's, sure. But we have:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, Jankowski, Czarnik, Lazar, Hanifin, Kulak, and Rittich,

all on the roster and all 25 or younger. That list will get supplemented with some of:

Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Parsons or Gillies over the next couple years.

I get the impression sometimes that some fans would rather have prospects than actual NHL players.
And they would rather have draft picks than prospects!
__________________
www.CardShopTolaria.com
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #24
burnitdown
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Dube, Foo, Kylington, Gillies, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Sveningsson, Parsons, Tuulola round out the top 10 IMO. The prospect depth is getting pretty ugly. Gotta stop trading away our top prospects and draft picks. The cupboard could use some restocking.
I agree - we had a lot of top prospects graduate over the past couple years (which is good), which makes things look a little thinner though.

It does seem a little early to be deciding between goalies (always hard to predict), small forwards with skill that may/may not translate at the NHL level, or defensemen still working on their game. All have a high ceiling but they come with question marks. It felt better the past few years where these guys were being debated in the 5-10 range.

Mangiapane for me - tore up the AHL at a very young age. May never stick at the NHL level...but if he somehow ends up on a skill line at the start of the season and starts hot, he may never see the AHL again, while posting strong offensive numbers for the next few years.

Last edited by burnitdown; 07-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #25
868904
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It is with a bit of disappointment that is directly related to trading away draft picks that I picked Dube as the 3rd best Flame prospect.

I look at his Rocket teammate Kole Lind drafted by the Canucks who being a year younger had a similar season to Dube, and how far down he would rank in the Canuck prospect list.
Are you sure you have your facts straight?

Kole Lind was born in Oct 1998 and Dube in July 1998. That's 3 months difference.

Just because Lind was drafted a year later, doesn't mean his accomplishments were better. Last year was the last year of eligibility for the WJC for both players and Dube made the team and Lind didn't. Dube was also named Captain of the team.

Just because Dube is ranked higher on the Flames list than Lind on the Canucks list isn't an indictment at all on the Flames. It just means Dube is a good prospect.

I didn't see any reports of the Sedins raving about Kole Lind's preseason last year and how they thought he should have made the team. I did hear that from Gaudreau regarding Dube though.
__________________
Calgary Flames, PLEASE GO TO THE NET! AND SHOOT THE PUCK! GENERATING OFFENSE IS NOT DIFFICULT! SKATE HARD, SHOOT HARD, CRASH THE NET HARD!
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #26
topfiverecords
#1 Goaltender
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ferlandia
Exp:
Default

Anyone that votes for someone other than Dube is obviously...

a Flames fan with a different opinion than me.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
...I look at his Rocket teammate Kole Lind drafted by the Canucks who being a year younger had a similar season to Dube, and how far down he would rank in the Canuck prospect list...
Yeah, but Dude sure beat the hell out of Lind's production in their short appearances in the AHL last season, eh?
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #28
TheIronMaiden
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere in Time
Exp:
Default

Mangiapane has had two solid pro years. Sure his NHL numbers were unimpressive in his ten game call up, but his play was otherwise solid. At 22 I believe that there is room for growth. This numbers in the OHL were out outrageous and his scoring pedigree translated into his AHL game. He has had a taste of the pros and I see him competing for a spot up and down the line up this year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

I was pretty confident Kylington would have had a solid lead here.



I guess forwards are sexier that d-men.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ontario, unfortunately.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I was pretty confident Kylington would have had a solid lead here.



I guess forwards are sexier that d-men.
..... the top 2 voted are d-men.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #31
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

I chose Dube. I chose the winner in each of the previous rounds too. I was tempted to chose Dube last round but obviously didn't. I was also putting consideration into Mangiapane, Parsons, Foo and Gillies. Almost feel bad that some of those guys aren't in the top 3, but also feel good that it seems like there are some good prospects in the system!
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #32
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
..... the top 2 voted are d-men.
You have to be scorpion level hipster to not pick those two for top two.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #33
ricardodw
Franchise Player
 
ricardodw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I agree - we had a lot of top prospects graduate over the past couple years (which is good), which makes things look a little thinner though.

It does seem a little early to be deciding between goalies (always hard to predict), small forwards with skill that may/may not translate at the NHL level, or defensemen still working on their game. All have a high ceiling but they come with question marks. It felt better the past few years where these guys were being debated in the 5-10 range.

Mangiapane for me - tore up the AHL at a very young age. May never stick at the NHL level...but if he somehow ends up on a skill line at the start of the season and starts hot, he may never see the AHL again, while posting strong offensive numbers for the next few years.
The Flames 20-man roster has an average age of 27.2 ranked 16th in the league.

They have 1 player currently slotted in the 20 man roster on the last year of his ELC. Anderssen would be the big hope beating out Kulak and Prout.

A team with a good prospect base does not go out and sign 3 UFAs. 4 if you count Backlund.


The Flames management are not impressed with Mangiapane at the NHL level at all. They went out and got Czarnik to take the #2 small forward spot mainly due to his more aggressive style and same level of skill. Magniapane will have to be spectacularly better at the NHL camp and exhibition game to get a real look at the NHL team.

He did not make a first good impression.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

'The #2 small forward spot' is a thing?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #35
868904
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The Flames 20-man roster has an average age of 27.2 ranked 16th in the league.

They have 1 player currently slotted in the 20 man roster on the last year of his ELC. Anderssen would be the big hope beating out Kulak and Prout.

A team with a good prospect base does not go out and sign 3 UFAs. 4 if you count Backlund.


The Flames management are not impressed with Mangiapane at the NHL level at all. They went out and got Czarnik to take the #2 small forward spot mainly due to his more aggressive style and same level of skill. Magniapane will have to be spectacularly better at the NHL camp and exhibition game to get a real look at the NHL team.

He did not make a first good impression.
Mangiapane didn't make a good first impression because GG is an idiot coach who utilized him as a grinder despite his top 6 skillset.

Just because the Flames signed Czarnik doesn't mean they don't like Mangiapane or think he's good. You accumulate as much good players as you can. The signings have nothing to do with prospect depth. And if you really want to get into details, Czarnik is a right shot and Mangiapane is a left shot. Tre specifically has spoken about getting more right shot forwards. They wanted some skill guys who can play the left side (off wing) on the power play, Mangiapane would be on the right side (off wing).

By your reasoning, the Leafs don't think Matthews is any good, because they signed Tavares. They must also think their prospect depth is pretty bad cause why would you block your centre ice for the next 7 years by acquiring a veteran like Tavares?
__________________
Calgary Flames, PLEASE GO TO THE NET! AND SHOOT THE PUCK! GENERATING OFFENSE IS NOT DIFFICULT! SKATE HARD, SHOOT HARD, CRASH THE NET HARD!
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #36
Superfraggle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, for now
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
And they would rather have draft picks than prospects!
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #37
TheScorpion
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa. Currently self-suspended for exam season
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So Scorp, are you excited about voting for Klimchuk the next 8 rounds? You kind of miss out on all the fun by going crazy off the board like that.
He's who I believe is the best choice so I'm fine with it.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #38
GranteedEV
Franchise Player
 
GranteedEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
'The #2 small forward spot' is a thing?
Yes. For instance Andre Iguodala is the #2 small forward behind Kevin Durant in a completely different sport.
__________________

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #39
haiku
Backup Goalie
 
haiku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So Scorp, are you excited about voting for Klimchuk the next 8 rounds? You kind of miss out on all the fun by going crazy off the board like that.
miss out on fun yes
but so much sweet attention
Tuulola, Eetu
haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #40
Samonadreau
First Line Centre
 
Samonadreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I was pretty confident Kylington would have had a solid lead here.



I guess forwards are sexier that d-men.
After a Defencemen went 1st and 2bd.... not sur that's the case here.

Edit. Nm beaten to it.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016