Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default Ranking the depth charts - pacific division - forwards

Just for a fun exercise I'll post up the various lines for Pacific Division teams followed by defense and goaltending. I'm not going to do it all at once obviously. I haven't ranked these in the diagram. the rankings are obviously up for debate and up to you good folks. I'll post up line two probably tomorrow or Friday time permitting.



These are the listed first lines for each team





__________________
Someone once asked me if I was scared of the storm
I am the Storm
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player
 
Mass_nerder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Shouldn't Neal also be in red?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
k im just not going to respond to your #### anymore because i have better things to do like #### my model girlfriend rather then try to convince people like you of commonly held hockey knowledge.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

yes
__________________
Someone once asked me if I was scared of the storm
I am the Storm
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player
 
PlayfulGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Exp:
Default

I still can't quite believe that VGS line was so good... even now, I want to rate them in the middle somewhere.

Anything with McDavid or Kopitar is amazing.

I'm not sure how the CGY line compares to those 3, but I'm confident it's better than the others. Well, Getzlaf always can turn on the switch and dominate, too, obviously.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
... Eakins' claims Gagne's line played Kessel's line even...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
Oil Stain
Franchise Player
 
Oil Stain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Edmonton
Anaheim
Kings
Flames
Vegas
San Jose
Arizona
Vancouver

I feel like any line with Mcdavid on it is going to be the best.

Getzlaf is amazing as well. He truly dominates games and Rakell is great now as well. Perry has slipped a bit, but is still a pain and may bounceback.

Kopitar is a Selke man. Kovalchuk is a wildcard.

Gaudreau is always dangerous offensively. Monahan is consistent.

I think Vegas slides. Karlsson's 23% shooting isn't going to carryover.

San Jose is there due to age. Thornton should be done right? Pvaelski has been slipping. They could surprise though. Kane was hot down the stretch and it may go on into next season.

Keller had the quietest 65 point rookie season that I can think of. It's the 11th highest total since 05/06. Maybe he takes it up another level next year?

Boeser and Horvat have a lot of potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see them breakout and move up the list.

I feel like 2-7 could potentially move around substantially. Every team has some good players.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
Since1984
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Edmonton
Anaheim
Kings
Flames
Vegas
San Jose
Arizona
Vancouver

I feel like any line with Mcdavid on it is going to be the best.

Getzlaf is amazing as well. He truly dominates games and Rakell is great now as well. Perry has slipped a bit, but is still a pain and may bounceback.

Kopitar is a Selke man. Kovalchuk is a wildcard.

Gaudreau is always dangerous offensively. Monahan is consistent.

I think Vegas slides. Karlsson's 23% shooting isn't going to carryover.

San Jose is there due to age. Thornton should be done right? Pvaelski has been slipping. They could surprise though. Kane was hot down the stretch and it may go on into next season.

Keller had the quietest 65 point rookie season that I can think of. It's the 11th highest total since 05/06. Maybe he takes it up another level next year?

Boeser and Horvat have a lot of potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see them breakout and move up the list.

I feel like 2-7 could potentially move around substantially. Every team has some good players.
One player does not equal depth, looks like Chiarelli's thought process has rubbed off on the fans.

When it comes to forward depth Edmonton has to be bottom quarter. Calgary middle of the pack and San Jose up at the top.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Calgary
Exp:
Default

Edmonton's forward depth is embarrassingly terrible. To me, it's easily dead last in the entire league.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
He shook my hand and I said so Bradley in what way are you going to meddle with a trade this year?
He pretty much glared at me before answer.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #8
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

-Flames top line will score a lot of goals with Neal slotted there, possibly pushing 100. Will be among the most productive if healthy.
-Vegas' must regress to the mean somewhat. Already an anomaly.
-Sharks will be decent. Not sure Kane continues his one month tear, now that the payday incentive carrot is no longer dangling for him.
-Don't know how Kovy will translate after a few years and more miles. Kopitar is up and down. I was honestly shocked at how they performed last season when everything seemed to be going downhill prior.
-McDavid with the Tenderness and a tweener will still be good, but as a line will be outproduced by a couple other teams cause Connor can only do so much.
-Getzlaf is due for some form of decline, even if just slight this season. They'll manage to keep up with the best in the division still.
-Yotes will get offense from Galchenyuk and Keller. That's a good line. But not as good as the california teams top trios.
-Vancouver... ho boy. Yeah.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
GullFoss
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Exp:
Default

For first line...

Edmonton (with Draisatil and McDavid)
LA
Calgary
San Jose
Edmonton (with Nuge and McDavid)
Anaheim
Vegas
Arizona
Vancouver
__________________
Possession + quick transitions + hard forechecks + hard backcheck = NHL Success!

Gully hockey: Possession only = NHL failure
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #10
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Is it a slam dunk that Kovy comes back and picks of where he left off though? Not sure.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:36 AM   #11
Snuffleupagus
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Is Rattie seriously Edmonton's first line RW?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #12
The Cobra
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
One player does not equal depth, looks like Chiarelli's thought process has rubbed off on the fans.

When it comes to forward depth Edmonton has to be bottom quarter. Calgary middle of the pack and San Jose up at the top.
The stats only related to each team's first line though, not the entire forward depth.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #13
Sutter_in_law
Scoring Winger
 
Sutter_in_law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Edmonton
Anaheim
Kings
Flames
Vegas
San Jose
Arizona
Vancouver

....
......
I feel like 2-7 could potentially move around substantially. Every team has some good players.
But Edmonton is a sure-fire lock at #1 eh?
God you Oiler fans are utterly predictable and ridiculous - try to show some semblance of an unbiased opinion.
If your sports car has a Ferrari engine but rain barrels for wheels it’s not going to compete with supercars
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
THIS is why people make fun of Edmonton. When will this stupid city figure it out? They continue to kick their own ass every day, it's impossible not to make fun of them.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Dude, they have the best player in the league, and even if you don't agree with that you have to admit that he's the best offensive player. Everyone else who'd even close is in another division. Of course their top line is going to be the best. That's not why the Oilers fail. It's the rest of them.

Edit: ah I thought you were quoting Gullfoss.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-05-2018 at 07:25 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #15
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
But Edmonton is a sure-fire lock at #1 eh?
God you Oiler fans are utterly predictable and ridiculous - try to show some semblance of an unbiased opinion.
If your sports car has a Ferrari engine but rain barrels for wheels itís not going to compete with supercars
I donít know putting together a first line starting with Mcadavid is a pretty damn good start ! And when paired with Drai I think you can argue whoever is 3rd on that line doesnít really matter

This isnít a best team discussion......
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
Hells Bells
First Line Centre
 
Hells Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PEI
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I donít know putting together a first line starting with Mcadavid is a pretty damn good start ! And when paired with Drai I think you can argue whoever is 3rd on that line doesnít really matter

This isnít a best team discussion......
But he's not paired with Drai. It's RNH/Rattie.

Of course MacDavid is the best player by a margin, but those other two players drag this line down. There's no way it's the best line in that group, I'd take Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal every single day over the Oilers line.
__________________
Hells Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hells Bells For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:37 AM   #17
GranteedEV
Franchise Player
 
GranteedEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Kopitar just threw up 92 pts while winning the Selke. At the point he is the best player in the division. Adding Kovalchuk makes that line the frontrunners for best line.
__________________

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #18
Monahammer
Scoring Winger
 
Monahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Albert (Calgary-Jr.)
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Dude, they have the best player in the league, and even if you don't agree with that you have to admit that he's the best offensive player. Everyone else who'd even close is in another division. Of course their top line is going to be the best. That's not why the Oilers fail. It's the rest of them.

Edit: ah I thought you were quoting Gullfoss.
I dont know, looks to me that even with the "best player in the league" the Oilers top line still didnt come close to the top line in our division last season. As far as I can tell, nothing has materially changed for the team since then. What makes you think connor will score ~20 more goals than he did last season? He doesn't even have maroon to clean up his garbage.

Last edited by Monahammer; 07-05-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #19
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player
 
Heavy Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In the studio
Exp:
Default

Kopitar is a very up and down player though — 70 points, then 64 points, then 74 points, then 52 points, then 92 points (career highs in all point categories)

I think he has another solid season but he maxes out at 30/50/80 and might even come a bit further down from those totals back to his career average of 25/45/70
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #20
Samonadreau
First Line Centre
 
Samonadreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
But he's not paired with Drai. It's RNH/Rattie.

Of course MacDavid is the best player by a margin, but those other two players drag this line down. There's no way it's the best line in that group, I'd take Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal every single day over the Oilers line.
Ratio for sure but RNH will be a 60 to 70 point guy on that line. E is always NG but I think RNH hardly drags that line down.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016