Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't think he is a poor puck handler. I think he was a rookie being encouraged to handle the puck and still learning the NHL game, not unlike a rookie defenseman who is going to make some pizzas.
I don't disagree. Point was, it is something that he will improve upon.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #42
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
That was a fun article.
I do wish the authors would have the courage to doll out D's or even F's.
A "C-" as the lowest grade seems a tad timid.
I had the same view, so checked the other divisions to see if anyone got D's of F's.

D: Islanders, Senators

F: None.

Incomplete (whatever that means): Jets
Flaming Choy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #43
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's a pretty good writeup, but for one very odd assertion:

Where is this stockpile of youth?
It's a typo, though still oddly phrased. He meant stool pile, or rather pile of stool.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #44
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I dunno. I think if a guy like Steve Mason is still out there he should at least be looked at to help shore up the back end. Look at Anaheim -- they've been developing goalies for years but last year they brought in Ryan Miller to help shore it up back there and it just gave them another lifetime -- and a great one at that. I think if the Flames has had a Steve Mason last year when Smith got hurt they still could've made the playoffs, and Smith is only getting older. If he's cheap, it's worth looking into. Mason has been a starter very recently.
There’s like zero parallels between our situation and ANA’s. ANA let Hiller and then Andersson go and handed the reins to their young goalie in Gibson. We may mirror them in a year or two if we hand the reins to Rittich or Gillies. But yeah until then our situations are completely different.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethead View Post
If you win the Stanley Cup then you have exceeded expectations. Period.
If you win the President's trophy with 54 wins, have both the #2 ranked offence and defence, boast two 50-goal scorers and have a Vezina runner-up goalie with a 37-6 record, I'd argue that winning the Cup would be the very definition of meeting expectations.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #46
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t really like that no one got graded an F. Kind of skews the report card.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #47
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Graded on the curve means the B's are C's and the C's are F's.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #48
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames did not exceed expectations in 1988–89, they met them. They were consistently a top-3 team in the League heading into that season.
Regardless just 2 years they've exceeded expectations then. Even a ####tier record.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #49
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Regardless just 2 years they've exceeded expectations then. Even a ####tier record.
How so? Whether they met, or exceeded expectations is a matter of opinion. Just because someone claims they met expectations doesn't suddenly make their performance over the years worse. You're just being overly negative.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Yeah, that makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #51
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see the smattering of chatter about the 89 Flames and expectations. There was a conversation a year or so back about that team possibly being the deepest in the history of the modern game. It was almost laughably stacked.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #52
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Neal is going to be our Hossa and win the cup on his third team in 3 years. The Flames last made the final in 04 which was 15 years ago next year and 15 years after they won in 89
....It adds up! Prepare the banners and floats.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #53
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I see the smattering of chatter about the 89 Flames and expectations. There was a conversation a year or so back about that team possibly being the deepest in the history of the modern game. It was almost laughably stacked.
That's true. The 89 teams was possibly one of the top 10 NHL teams of all time. They steamrolled through the regular season but still came very, VERY close to losing to Vancouver in the first round which would have been the biggest upset in NHL history at the time. After the first round they went back to their steamrolling ways but it could be argued that the 89 team underachieved, although it's not an argument that ultimately stands up very well considering the end result.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 1989 Flames won the President's Trophy with 117 points, increasing their point totals from 89, 95 and 105 the previous three years. They narrowly won the President's trophy, 2 points better than the Habs.

They had won only one playoff series in the two previous years.

The regular season success, though not a shock, certainly exceeded expectations. The playoff success wildly surpassed expectations.

At least if you were a fan of the team at the time. Maybe things look different now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The 1989 Flames won the President's Trophy with 117 points, increasing their point totals from 89, 95 and 105 the previous three years. They narrowly won the President's trophy, 2 points better than the Habs.

They had won only one playoff series in the two previous years...
But had won four playoff series in three years.

Quote:
The regular season success, though not a shock, certainly exceeded expectations. The playoff success wildly surpassed expectations.
I very much doubt that there were many who were stunned to see the Flames make a second appearance in four years in the Stanley Cup Finals. I think most fans were like me—ecstatic that things had worked out this time around as they should. After they beat the Canucks in Round 1 I absolutely expected them to be playing in the Finals again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Yep. The Flames 4th line (iirc, Hrdina-Fleury-M. Hunter) would have been the 2nd line on a lot of teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
After the regular season the Flames and Habs had, nobody at all was surprised when they met in the SCF. I remember in our playoff draft that year every single skater for both teams - Rick Nattress, Rick Green, everybody - was drafted.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But had won four playoff series in three years.

I very much doubt that there were many who were stunned to see the Flames make a second appearance in four years in the Stanley Cup Finals. I think most fans were like me—ecstatic that things had worked out this time around as they should. After they beat the Canucks in Round 1 I absolutely expected them to be playing in the Finals again.
Sure. We have gone from meeting expectations by winning the Cup to not stunned they were in the Finals. Now that we have moved the goalposts to this location I agre with you.

But the regular season and playoffs the following season show that 1989 was a bit of an outlier unfortunately. But I guess everyone on this board knows that.

That was a great team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #58
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 89 team was amazingly stacked. Once the moved out Hull for Ramage and Wamsley, it was the tipping point of going 'all in' as a contender, and I argue that the season before that was a huge disappointment. IIRC, it was either the Habs, Oilers or Flames as Stanley Cup favorites that year.

Remember Darryl Sutter talking about "The most 20 goal scorers" years back? Well, the 89 Flames had the most 50 goal scorers. They were an absurdly deep team, and the expectations was the cup finals. No one would have predicted that they would win the cup on Habs ice - first time in Habs' history after all, but they entered the playoffs as favorites.

I guess some people don't remember the Flames as being an elite team - a true elite team, that was extremely well-managed with the best scouting staff in the NHL at the time. They were one of the more forward-thinking organizations. They were elite at basically everything for about 4-~6 years.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: