Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #41
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for other shows after I watch Mad Men. It's just do damn good.

Loved tonight's episode. I love the character of Peggy, always been my favorite. One of the most intriguing characters on TV IMO.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #42
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I feel bad for other shows after I watch Mad Men. It's just do damn good.

Loved tonight's episode. I love the character of Peggy, always been my favorite. One of the most intriguing characters on TV IMO.
Unlike most people, I believe Peggy is actually the star/lead of the show, not Don.

The show is about Peggy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #43
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny that they haven't really explored the whole angle of Peggy having a baby more than they have. Everyone in the show that knows about it just seems to pretend that it isn't there.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Great episode tonight. Mostly the Don & Peggy show, but there's nothing wrong with that.
I thought the episode was about Don Draper losing the most important person in the world to him, his only connection to the rest of humanity, and his reaching out to try to establish that same connection with Peggy, effectively seeking out a replacement, a lifeline, lest he fall forever into that dark hole he's heading for.

The symbolic taking of her hand at the end, squeezing it but herself not returning the favour, was interesting.

Unlike the other who loved him for who he was, Peggy only pities him.

My thoughts from Seattle!!

Cowperson
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #45
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

The writing, directing and acting are in a class by itself this season, and it doesn't seem like this series is in any danger of becoming stale anytime soon. Love this show.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #46
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Everyone in the show that knows about it just seems to pretend that it isn't there.

Don't you remember Draper's words when he picked her up?

"Do what you have to so you can get out of here. You'll be surprised at how quickly this all goes away."

And Draper's famous line "Don't think about it" which Peggy repeated to him in last night's episode "I try not to think about it."
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #47
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another great episode tonight. I haven't laughed so much at a tv show in a long time, which is the mark of a great drama (if that makes sense).

RIP Mrs. Blankenship, you old wildcat.

Peggy again loses a little more of the naive good little Catholic girl and starts thinking about women's lib.

Didn't expect Roger and Joan's evening to end up going the way it did.

"Mrs. Butterworth's."
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #48
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I laughed out loud when Don said "I'd have my secretary do it, but she's dead!"

Dr. Faye Miller is a fox.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #49
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great episode again tonight. Losing Lucky Strike may mean the end of SCDP and the panic set it for the employees. I really like how Mad Men really has zero rules in which the types of episodes are laid out. One week will be about Don and his inner struggle, the next will be about Don and his problems with his family, the next week will be about his work. The next can be something TOTALLY different. You truly can't predict where an episode is heading and that's another reason the show works so well.

Any chance the Mad Men writers shock the world and have Sterling commit suicide by season's end?? There have been some truly shocking moments in the show's history, I would be shocked and I wouldn't be if that makes any sense. It would have EVERYONE talking if it did happen. He's an incredibly popular character and it seems we are heading down that road. With two episodes left in the season, who knows what the conclusion will hold.

Anyone else catch Rubicon tonight?? Strongest episode of the series so far. So many tense moments and for the first time, I thought to myself that the episode went by too fast. it's generally a slow moving show, but not tonight.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #50
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Great episode again tonight. Losing Lucky Strike may mean the end of SCDP and the panic set it for the employees. I really like how Mad Men really has zero rules in which the types of episodes are laid out. One week will be about Don and his inner struggle, the next will be about Don and his problems with his family, the next week will be about his work. The next can be something TOTALLY different. You truly can't predict where an episode is heading and that's another reason the show works so well.

Any chance the Mad Men writers shock the world and have Sterling commit suicide by season's end?? There have been some truly shocking moments in the show's history, I would be shocked and I wouldn't be if that makes any sense. It would have EVERYONE talking if it did happen. He's an incredibly popular character and it seems we are heading down that road. With two episodes left in the season, who knows what the conclusion will hold.

I thought Sterling was going to blow right by his wife, lock himself in his bedroom and blow his brains out. (Nothing will ever top Dualla's suicide on Battlestar though!!!)

And how long before Joan reveals the secret she's carrying about Sterling having prior knowledge of Lucky Strike leaving?

The season ending moment will probably have the company on the brink of destruction and then a foul decision has to be made about merging with someone unsavory . . . . but it's probably necessary as a plot device to keep the cast in the same office.

And Joan gets the news her hubby has been killed in Vietnam. He's like the guy wearing the red shirt on Star Trek.

Loved Don's expression when the blonde is waiting for him with great news she's sacrificed her integrity and brought him a new account, all in the name of love . . . . about an hour after he finished boinking his brunette, "no-strings-attached" secretary.

EDIT: Great summary/commentary, as always, at http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/1...as-we-know-it/

Cowperson
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #51
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You gents summed up my thoughts perfectly... I would just add that the lipstick on the teeth was superb...
Also, did Joan in fact have the abortion? Mmmm, hmmmm...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #52
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seemed like the episode was pushing Roger to suicide as well, I can see him doing it from a show writer standpoint, but I just can't buy the character of Roger killing himself. He views himself as a little more important than that, even with all the barbs he got this week.

I'll be disappointed if they go that route, but it won't shock me. It's going to be an interesting two weeks for the next episodes.

Also, does Lee Garner Jr. and Lucky being gone open the door for the return of Sal? Assuming that the agency doesn't implode that is

Interesting side note. Megan is played by Jessica Pare, who actually is from Montreal. Thought it was a little funny that they made her character come from there too.

Last edited by nik-; 10-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Joan kept the baby, and we'll see her start to show in the next episode or the season finale. Sterling will try to commit suicide and fail, and then Joan will reveal she kept the baby.

Perhaps another baby will be in the future with Don and Dr. Faye...? I'd be an interesting twist, and something that would make the family dynamic Don has get even crazier- I think it's only a matter of time before Don's daughter starts to live with him. I also think the thing with Don's girl could go either way very soon- since he cheated on her last episode. I'm hoping that it is longer term, but you never know.

Oh, that and Betty and the new husband Henry are going to divorce.

This may just be me, but I really enjoyed the Peggy character over the first couple seasons, so much so that occasionally I wondered if she show intended to focus on her and not on Don. But lately I've just found her to be less and less interesting, and more of an annoying character than a useful one. Maybe I need to re-watch some of the series, because I find it disappointing, the direction they've taken Peggy in. Although at the same point in time, Pete Campbell, who was a disliked character, has slowly become one of my favourites!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #54
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya I thought it was going for the Roger suicide as well, especially after Joan rejected him

Last two episodes should be good, I don't think that the writers blow up the agency again since it just happened last year

and I think Joan kept the baby as well
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #55
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Great episode, lots of stuff going on. Though, there was very little Ms. Hendricks, so it could have been better
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #56
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

starting to think what happens is they do something to save the agency and then something tragic, like Sterling or Cooper dying, happens
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #57
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Don's theatrics were awesome, and Peggy's barely noticeable smile was a beaut.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #58
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Great episode, lots of stuff going on. Though, there was very little Ms. Hendricks, so it could have been better
Ask and you shall receive.

BTW, she has big jugs.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #59
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be a big loss if Bert Cooper really does leave.

Is Don Draper the most personally reprehensible leading man in TV history? The nice things he does, like covering Pete's share, always shock me. He's damn fun to watch though.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #60
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Is Don Draper the most personally reprehensible leading man in TV history?
I'd say Tony Soprano was much worse.

Tags
betty's hot , joan is amazing