Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will the Flames make the playoffs?
Yes 291 59.75%
No 196 40.25%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2023, 02:38 PM   #81
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I didn't see the broadcast but picking December 3 makes it seem like they were looking for data to rationalize an argument vs. using data to inform a conclusion.

I can't think of any reason why a team's record since the third of December is more important than any other day.
I'm sure it was cherry picked a bit...

they have been playing .650 or so hockey for about 6+ weeks though and if that continues they are well over 100 points and easily in the playoffs. Their place in the standings is because of a really poor late October and November. They have been one of the better teams in the entire league since December despite what you may have heard on CP.

I mean they just had a .600 road trip and some are acting like it might cost them a playoff spot

Last edited by dino7c; 01-17-2023 at 02:41 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:39 PM   #82
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

To get to the 96pt mark and barely make it in, we would need 45pts in the remaining 37 games, so something like 20-12-5 would get it done.

Flames are 5-3-2 in their last 10, which is essentially very close to the above pace.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #83
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think they just miss. Their second-half sched is fairly easy, but they tend to play down to the quality of their opponents.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:48 PM   #84
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I didn't see the broadcast but picking December 3 makes it seem like they were looking for data to rationalize an argument vs. using data to inform a conclusion.

I can't think of any reason why a team's record since the third of December is more important than any other day.
Yeah there was some cherry picking there.

Flames played more games than the other teams since December 3rd and they did it in terms of points and not win %

A less targeted date ... say December 1st and by points % puts the Flames 5th in the conference at .609
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:58 PM   #85
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
To get to the 96pt mark and barely make it in, we would need 45pts in the remaining 37 games, so something like 20-12-5 would get it done.

Flames are 5-3-2 in their last 10, which is essentially very close to the above pace.
51 in 45 has them in a spot...well below 96 point pace

But solid Snake I guess just to be safe
Old 01-17-2023, 03:43 PM   #86
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Follow up question: If the Flames make it, will you be excited? This team is the most "meh" team we've had in a while. They're not good enough to be considered a contender or even a lock for the playoffs....but they're not that bad.

They're the quintessential bubble team. You're never really surprised if they win or lose a game because you're not sure what version of the team shows up.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #87
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they win playoff games people will be excited and if they don't they won't lol

People talk about the old core like the golden years but what was their record in playoff games? They were a shot away from another absolute disaster after winning the division and outside of game one the 2nd round was more paper bag than excitement

I would be excited to go into a playoff series with better centers and a new look overall
Old 01-17-2023, 03:51 PM   #88
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
They are luck-sacs but fact remains their 2 game breakers are miles ahead of ours, so far we don't even have a true game breaker
Maybe so, but their game breakers aren't winning them any more games than us. They have game breakers, but they also have ####ty depth. The two balance out.

If you think the Flames are what they are, then the Oilers are also what they are - you can't have it both ways.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:52 PM   #89
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say they make it - and in a divisional spot, not as a wild card

And they go to the 3rd round.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:55 PM   #90
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also predict this thread will get bumped after every loss, for the remainder of the season. But never after a win (until they actually clinch)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 04:09 PM   #91
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Follow up question: If the Flames make it, will you be excited? This team is the most "meh" team we've had in a while. They're not good enough to be considered a contender or even a lock for the playoffs....but they're not that bad.

They're the quintessential bubble team. You're never really surprised if they win or lose a game because you're not sure what version of the team shows up.
Wasn't last year the aberration though? Not this year?

The 19-20 Flames .561 team that lost in the first round
The 20-21 Flames .491 team that missed the playoffs

Last year was the ride ... great regular season and a playoff round win, but that seems to be the exception, not this year.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #92
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they make it in they’ll have learned that they can play like crap most of the time and get away with it. I don’t think they’re going to get in
442scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #93
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I voted no and I think it will be close but they finish 9th. Avs will get hot and catch Minnesota.

Wild card will be Minnesota and Edmonton. I have a bad feeling the oilers are the team that just beat us out. Kraken could slip too
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:23 PM   #94
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If they win playoff games people will be excited and if they don't they won't lol

People talk about the old core like the golden years but what was their record in playoff games? They were a shot away from another absolute disaster after winning the division and outside of game one the 2nd round was more paper bag than excitement

I would be excited to go into a playoff series with better centers and a new look overall
This fact appears to be forgotten
The “old core” had an unimpressive playoff appearance last year and never did anything at all in any playoff appearance. It was time for a change most certainly.
And I do think this group is better positioned for good results in the playoffs. The only question is, can they keep building momentum this year
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #95
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the team will make the playoffs but not have success in the playoffs. This franchise has history had little success in the post-season, and I haven't seen much this season to make me think that's going to change.

But now that I've predicted this, they will either go to the Final or miss the playoffs.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:28 PM   #96
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

They look like they will be a very hard out in the playoffs IMO.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #97
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
They look like they will be a very hard out in the playoffs IMO.
I agree. If they make it and Markstrom plays well they could upset someone in the first round. I just think they will come up just short
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #98
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing the Flames have going for them is they are nowhere near their potential given their roster. If they peak as the playoffs approach they could make it and maybe win 2 rounds this time.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:52 PM   #99
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I honestly don’t know at this point. It could go either way. All I know is that if the Avs heat up and get healthier it doesn’t bode very well for the club holding onto a Wildcard spot

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 01-17-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 05:11 PM   #100
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The club is not where I'd like them to be in the standings at this point, but they're trending the right way and I think things will come together with it playing it's best hockey of the season just as the season is winding down.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: