Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will the Flames make the playoffs?
Yes 291 59.75%
No 196 40.25%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2023, 08:45 PM   #221
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings and Wild lost today so far

Get your points and get in... somebody will fall off the pace
Old 01-21-2023, 10:24 PM   #222
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Big win, win the next two now
If they win the next 2 but lose to Seattle, it doesn't help a ton.

Win 3 of 5 but lose to Avs and Kraken and your not gaining

They need 3 more in a row!
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:46 PM   #223
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
That second round. Ugh. Win that and who knows what would have happened.
Love the Flames, but I give it a 15% chance at best we win against that Avs team last season.

(insert your telling me theres a chance GIf here)
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:59 PM   #224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Without Lucic:

19 points in 29 games, mostly PP points.

With Lucic:

12 points in 14 games, mostly 5 on 5.

All things considered, It’s not even close.
If you had read what I said, he was playing well for a while, prior to Lucic on the line, as opposed to early in the season.

First 17 games, 9 points.

Next 12 games, 10 points, and was playing much better.

First game with Lucic, 3 points against SJS

Since then, 10 points in 14 games.

So yeah, it is more than close. Trying to suggest that he has been better with Lucic than he was for the 12 games prior to Lucic is just not accurate.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:22 PM   #225
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy how tight the West is. Need to go on a bit of a roll here. Big win today, keep'er going.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:27 PM   #226
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a maybe trending towards no.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:52 PM   #227
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If you had read what I said, he was playing well for a while, prior to Lucic on the line, as opposed to early in the season.

So yeah, it is more than close. Trying to suggest that he has been better with Lucic than he was for the 12 games prior to Lucic is just not accurate.
I would hope that whole people are enjoying the production from Lucic they see that he isn't the answer on that line long term. That lines underlying numbers are not good, sustained by a fairly high shooting percentage.

They need to find an answer for a scoring threat to play on the wing, whether that's from outside the org via trade or trying an AHL scoring winger and seeing if anything shakes out.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:14 AM   #228
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today helps. Like I said win half against the better teams and most against the weaker teams and that should be good.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:18 AM   #229
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why are you ignoring the difference between even strength and PP production? If you’re trying to isolate his results since playing with Lucic, you have to look at even strength only.

In looking at it quickly, by my count he had 2 goals and 7 assists in 28 games at even strength before playing with Lucic.
3 goals and 8 assists in the 15 games since.

Again I don’t think Lucic is the answer but the numbers are what they are.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2023, 12:22 AM   #230
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
If they win the next 2 but lose to Seattle, it doesn't help a ton.

Win 3 of 5 but lose to Avs and Kraken and your not gaining

They need 3 more in a row!
You realize there are other teams right? You obviously want to win every game but

Kings have 3 points on the Flames and the Flames have a game in hand
Wild have 1 point on the Flames

Heck win your game in hand the the Oilers are only 2 points up

If the Avs go on some crazy run they won't be a wild card team and Minny is in the race...sure the more wins the better but its more about points in the end. You never know who you are competing with at the end. Vegas probably didn't think they were competing with Dallas for the last playoff spot this time last season.

I HIGHLY doubt playoffs or no playoffs comes down to Calgary vs. Colorado/Seattle

Last edited by dino7c; 01-22-2023 at 12:34 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:23 AM   #231
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Why are you ignoring the difference between even strength and PP production? If you’re trying to isolate his results since playing with Lucic, you have to look at even strength only.

In looking at it quickly, by my count he had 2 goals and 7 assists in 28 games at even strength before playing with Lucic.
3 goals and 8 assists in the 15 games since.

Again I don’t think Lucic is the answer but the numbers are what they are.
I think it's almost definitely positive regression by Huberdeau and doesn't have a thing to do with Lucic. I like Lucic fine, but he isn't a 2L player at this point in his career, they need to find a winger better suited for a scoring line to play with Huberdeau and Kadri.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:28 AM   #232
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
I think it's almost definitely positive regression by Huberdeau and doesn't have a thing to do with Lucic. I like Lucic fine, but he isn't a 2L player at this point in his career, they need to find a winger better suited for a scoring line to play with Huberdeau and Kadri.
Oh I agree. I am just not on board with everyone who wants Lucic and Sutter to shoulder the blame for Huberdeau’s lack of production.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:12 AM   #233
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You realize there are other teams right? You obviously want to win every game but

Kings have 3 points on the Flames and the Flames have a game in hand
Wild have 1 point on the Flames

Heck win your game in hand the the Oilers are only 2 points up

If the Avs go on some crazy run they won't be a wild card team and Minny is in the race...sure the more wins the better but its more about points in the end. You never know who you are competing with at the end. Vegas probably didn't think they were competing with Dallas for the last playoff spot this time last season.

I HIGHLY doubt playoffs or no playoffs comes down to Calgary vs. Colorado/Seattle
Beating the Hawks and the Jackets doesn't make us a lock for the playoffs either. The Flames need to win more of the the head to head match ups than they lose. If they beat the teams they aren't racing and lose to the teams they are, the chances of making the playoffs goes down big time.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:18 AM   #234
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’ll get decided in the last week. There are a lot of good teams in the race.

Dal
Wpg
Minn
Vegas
Seattle
Edm
LA
Col
Cgy
Nash
St Louis

Three won’t make it. My guess is St. Louis, Nashville, Minn or LA

But literally could be almost any three.

The OT losses may come back to bite the Flames.

Last edited by Goriders; 01-23-2023 at 12:33 AM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #235
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

…and did you read when I said he had 7 five on five points in 29 games? How does this number not resonate? Do you even realize how bad that it is? That’s why it’s not close. At the time, his 0.24 rate was good for 13th place on the team with 4th liners like Ritchie and Lewis placing ahead of him.

That means Huberdeau was producing at a 4th line level while playing 1st line minutes. That’s no damn good and it was painfully clear that Darryl need to make a big change especially since they had just been booed off the ice after their loss to the Blues.

Secondly, I can’t even wrap my head around the strange way you’ve dissected these games. It’s like you just randomly grouped together segment of games that would further your narrative without taking into consideration who he was playing with and the types of points he was garnering as Strange Brew alluded to.

If you’re going to exclude the game where Huberdeau had 3 points just because it doesn’t help drive your point. Then why don’t I just cherry pick the games where they didn’t score to help make my numbers look better too? Ultimately, If this is about Lucic vs not with Lucic, then it’s all the games with him vs without him and 5 on 5 production. Counting his powerplay points doesn’t make sense in an honest straight line mate to line mate comparison. I know people hate the idea of Lucic on the top line with Huberdeau, but they’ve been mutually beneficial to each other.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #236
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic may not be the quickest Flame, but he's smart. What was it Jagr said about guys who go quickly to the wrong places, but he goes to the right places? Lucic isn't out there as a goal scorer, but he knows where to go to play his part on a line with a talented linemate.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #237
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Beating the Hawks and the Jackets doesn't make us a lock for the playoffs either. The Flames need to win more of the the head to head match ups than they lose. If they beat the teams they aren't racing and lose to the teams they are, the chances of making the playoffs goes down big time.
If the Flames play .625-.650 hockey they are making the playoffs. I never said throw in the towel on the Seattle game but if they take 3 of 4 before the break they are on the right track
Old 01-22-2023, 12:55 PM   #238
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When the hell is our 5+ game win streak gonna happen already...even average teams go on heaters one or two times a season but so far they seem intent on giving us the bluest hockey fan balls possible
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #239
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames play .625-.650 hockey they are making the playoffs. I never said throw in the towel on the Seattle game but if they take 3 of 4 before the break they are on the right track
And all I’m saying is this 5 games stretch if you win 3 but lose to the Avs and Kraken you aren’t gaining that much and potentially nothing. Wild and kings lost but everyone else win except the kraken who lost in OT against the Avs. Kings play Hawks today. Strength of schedule matters but LA still will play bad teams too.

Of course if they play .625 to .650 hockey they make it. But if the play .600 they need to beat the teams the they are racing.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #240
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Beat the Kings and Oilers to get in

Not a difficult task….
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote