Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #321
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is 2 players having horrendous seasons that is it. Markstrom and Huberdeau play like they have in recent years that earned them those big paydays then this team is in first place in the West. No doubt they have another 10+ points in the standings if Huberdeau had 70pts and Markstrom had a .920 save%
If Markstrom even has a .910 that would be 18 fewer goals against.

That would have us first in our division, as that is easily 7 points.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 05:23 PM   #322
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did Warrener completely discount/ignore the fact that we wouldnt be bringing in strangers if our two best homegrown talents hadnt flown the coop at the earliest opportunity?

That just seems like a bad take.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 05:25 PM   #323
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Did Warrener completely discount/ignore the fact that we wouldnt be bringing in strangers if our two best homegrown talents hadnt flown the coop at the earliest opportunity?

That just seems like a bad take.
He thinks they should not have extended Huberdeau and Weegar. He believes the way the team is constructed right now is garbage, and not how you win. He’s of the mind that they should have a plan, not just do whatever the hell comes across their path. They had a core that came up together and it fell apart - Monahan physically fell apart, Gaudreau, Tkachuk bailed, and the Flames abandoned Giordano.

They should have rebuilt. Instead they have this utterly mediocre hockey team with no clear path to being better going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Can Rhett explain how he came onto a team of a collection of players in 04 and years after that?

Thats who Darryl Sutter built his teams that Rhett played on.

Treliving at least tried to do it the right way and keep the players not much he can do if they don't want to grow here and stay and get paid.
Yeah, Rhett says it was effectively a fluke. They didn’t have a plan to acquire Kipper, the only reason they traded for him was because their top 2 goalies got injured. He loves that he was a part of it, but that it doesn’t happen without having to acquire a goalie and having that goalie turn into a hall of fame calibre goalie

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-15-2023 at 05:29 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 05:42 PM   #324
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hes not wrong but the Funniest part of that though is that the Panthers, Sabres, and Flames teams that he made the finals with were all kind of random collections of players.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #325
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's a bitter, salty old alcoholic. It makes for funny radio a lot of the time but it also gets annoying after a while.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:37 PM   #326
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He thinks they should not have extended Huberdeau and Weegar. He believes the way the team is constructed right now is garbage, and not how you win. He’s of the mind that they should have a plan, not just do whatever the hell comes across their path. They had a core that came up together and it fell apart - Monahan physically fell apart, Gaudreau, Tkachuk bailed, and the Flames abandoned Giordano.

They should have rebuilt. Instead they have this utterly mediocre hockey team with no clear path to being better going forward.

Yeah, Rhett says it was effectively a fluke. They didn’t have a plan to acquire Kipper, the only reason they traded for him was because their top 2 goalies got injured. He loves that he was a part of it, but that it doesn’t happen without having to acquire a goalie and having that goalie turn into a hall of fame calibre goalie
I get it and why you are so mad

but in the summer one had to think that Markstom and Huberdeau would be at the very least good this season. IF both those things were true the Flames would be a top team.

The plan in the summer made sense...the fact that Huberdeau and Markstom have had historic drop offs and the team is still a bubble team shows it IMO.

I mean I stopped counting games where AVERAGE goaltending would have got the win...the number was nearing double digits though. Let alone games a top goalie should steal.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-15-2023 at 06:39 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 06:39 PM   #327
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I get it and why you are so mad

but in the summer one had to think that Markstom and Huberdeau would be at the very least good this season. IF both those things were true the Flames would be a top team.

The plan in the summer made sense...the fact that Huberdeau and Markstom have had historic drop offs and the team is still a bubble team shows it IMO.

I mean I stopped counting games where AVERAGE goaltending would have got the win...the number was nearing double digits though.
The goaltending is on the guy who names the starter though. Always given never earned.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #328
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The goaltending is on the guy who names the starter though. Always given never earned.
true, he was talking about the Flames plan in the summer though...the West is weak AF. The Flames on paper should be running away with the division.
Markstom should be the best goalie in the div
Flames allow the 2nd least shots in the league, its not a hard job.

My point is how the heck can a GM plan for such a drop off? With hindsight it looks bad to be sure.

Vladar has been okay...his record is great

Imagine Vladar and an actual top NHL goaltender on this team which is what was expected.

Last edited by dino7c; 02-15-2023 at 06:49 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #329
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Dramatics around “abandoning” Gio aside (LOL) they absolutely have a path forward. Goaltending is an issue and we have one of the best goaltending prospects in the league. We have a top 4 D that’s going to either comeback and contribute or open a spot for us to add, and big fish free agent signing is having a historically bad season where good money says he’ll bounce back.

I get being pessimistic, but banging the “we should have rebuilt” drum every ####ing day is stupid. We didn’t. Get over it already. It’s February. There is plenty to look forward to beyond this season.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #330
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have the worst starter in the NHL, its not like I'm saying IF he was a vezina front runner they would be good or something like that

be freaking Joonas Korpisalo and the Flames are in first place
Old 02-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #331
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
true, he was talking about the Flames plan in the summer though...the West is weak AF. The Flames on paper should be running away with the division.
Markstom should be the best goalie in the div
Flames allow the 2nd least shots in the league, its not a hard job.

My point is how the heck can a GM plan for such a drop off? With hindsight it looks bad to be sure.

Vladar has been okay...his record is great

Imagine Vladar and an actual top NHL goaltender on this team which is what was expected.
I agree. Hopefully we change starters for the rest of the year and give ourselves a chance to get back in it.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:40 PM   #332
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames have the worst starter in the NHL, its not like I'm saying IF he was a vezina front runner they would be good or something like that

be freaking Joonas Korpisalo and the Flames are in first place
This.

IMO it's actually understated how bad Markstrom has been this season.

31 goalies have played 1400 or more minutes. He's bottom 5 with Quick, Campbell, Martin, and Jones.

People like to hammer on Sergei Bobrovski but his lowest save percentage in Florida was .900, this year he's .905. Markstrom is at .891.

Hell if Markstrom is at .905 that would be 13 fewer goals against and the Flames are probably in 1st in the divison because that probably gets you 7 points.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-15-2023 at 07:48 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #333
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Dramatics around “abandoning” Gio aside (LOL) they absolutely have a path forward. Goaltending is an issue and we have one of the best goaltending prospects in the league. We have a top 4 D that’s going to either comeback and contribute or open a spot for us to add, and big fish free agent signing is having a historically bad season where good money says he’ll bounce back.

I get being pessimistic, but banging the “we should have rebuilt” drum every ####ing day is stupid. We didn’t. Get over it already. It’s February. There is plenty to look forward to beyond this season.
Fair. I’ve been hammering on it for like a week - mostly on the backs Rhett’s rants, and I’ll dial it down as I’m sure it’s just silly at this point.

I view where they are right now as one of those spots where they should be proactive rather than just letting another season go by where they’re just patiently static. We’ve seen them play this out before. For as crazily pro-rebuild I am, I’m also pro “light the fire on the stick of dynamite” and go all in for a big bang. They made their choice and went this roster - and I think it’s a bunk roster, and a bunk approach to building the team - but to your point, they’ve done it. So don’t stop now, go for it. If they really believe that just sneaking in would allow them the opportunity to do real damage, then have it and double down. Blowing the ol wad on making this team the best they can is something I can get behind…just don’t stand still. All that does is keep you in the middle, and it’s the worst place to be.

To the point on the goaltending - yeah, absolutely. Can they fix it? I don’t Marky can, so can they do something to fix that massive problem? I don’t think Vladdy is “the guy”.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-15-2023 at 07:59 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:59 PM   #334
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair. I’ve been hammering on it for like a week - mostly on the backs Rhett’s rants, and I’ll dial it down as I’m sure it’s just silly at this point.

I view where they are right now as one of those spots where they should be proactive rather than just letting another season go by where they’re just patiently static. We’ve seen them play this out before. For as crazily pro-rebuild I am, I’m also pro “light the fire on the stick of dynamite” and go all in for a big bang. They made their choice and went this roster - and I think it’s a bunk roster, and a bunk approach to building the team - but to your point, they’ve done it. So don’t stop now, go for it. If they really believe that just sneaking in would allow them the opportunity to do real damage, then have it and double down. Blowing the ol wad on making this team the best they can is something I can get behind…just don’t stand still. All that does is keep you in the middle, and it’s the worst place to be.
I think the smart thing is to go all in this year - then retool in the offseason.

Id much rather that then they try to give this group one more chance next season.

You have a bunch if great value contracts with 1-2 years left you can move in the offseason / next season. Move for a top end piece now, then recoup assets in the offseason / next year.

Honestly all the underlying stats outside of goaltending speak to this being a potential contender. The feeling around this team is 100% different if we have a .910 save percentage this year.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #335
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with Boomer and the sunglasses? Did he get a concussion or something or is he trying to look cool?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #336
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
What's with Boomer and the sunglasses? Did he get a concussion or something or is he trying to look cool?
Something going on with his eyes that he has to wear them
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SaskyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2023, 07:05 PM   #337
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can I just say that I love Rhett calling Gio out for being an overrated leader.

Now, he was a fantastic captain, great person and fantastic in the community.

But he gets a giant pass as a hockey player for all that. Dude never led his team to a damn thing.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #338
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How the heck do you pin a team’s fortune on one player?!

Gio led the team with a Norris, community initiatives and stayed through bad mgmt and a rebuild. Gio should go to the rafters without a doubt.
calgarybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #339
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybean View Post
How the heck do you pin a team’s fortune on one player?!

Gio led the team with a Norris, community initiatives and stayed through bad mgmt and a rebuild. Gio should go to the rafters without a doubt.
Won the Norris. Team bounced in 5 in the first round. Never won a playoff round as a Captain in a series he wasn’t hurt in.

Kipper willed a 7th place team to Game 7 of the SCF.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:31 AM   #340
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what did Warrener say that Gio's shortcomings were as a leader?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote