Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #301
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Could never get into Derek Willis. I just stopped listening to the radio after Peter retired.
He's terrible. We listen to him and defend him because we're biased but Jack Michaels is so much better when I listen to Oilers games.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 11:36 AM   #302
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
but Jack Michaels is so much better when I listen to Oilers games.
green text? that guys is the most annoying announcer with his monster truck rally voice
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #303
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
green text? that guys is the most annoying announcer with his monster truck rally voice
I like that voice. Wills brings nothing.

Forget goal calls, just regular action descriptions.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:42 AM   #304
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

You are an insane person
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #305
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I normally don’t weigh in on broadcasters but Jack michaels flat out sucks. He’s an embarrassment. It’s as though he’s trying to rile up a bunch of 12 year olds for wrestling event…..it is Edmonton though, so the shoe fits, I guess.

I can’t stand that blow hard.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 01:43 PM   #306
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does he do both the TV and the Radio? Is the colour the same? Don't they have different hosts? So many questions I could easily get answers to living here but I don't.

EDIT: it's not actually a simulcast as I assumed
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 02-15-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #307
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's terrible. We listen to him and defend him because we're biased but Jack Michaels is so much better when I listen to Oilers games.
No. I can get on board the Derek Wills is Awful train but the I'm hopping off well before Jack Michaels is Good Station.

Jack Michaels is absolutely horrible. Not even Wills is that excruciating to listen to.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:57 PM   #308
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Jack Michaels is absolutely horrible. Not even Wills is that excruciating to listen to.
The most wretched part is Oiler fans I've spoken with unanimously think he's incredible.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:58 PM   #309
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
The most wretched part is Oiler fans I've spoken with unanimously think he's incredible.
Monster Trucks really are Oilers fans vibes
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 02:02 PM   #310
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

His voice is one thing, but that smarmy smile is another.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:08 PM   #311
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like Michaels and I don't like Wills.

Hockey opinions are one thing, but Wills calls Flames games in iambic pentameter and I cannot stand it.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 03:34 PM   #312
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhett makes a good point on today’s episode.

He talks about the importance of building a team from within - guys all coming up together, earning bigger paydays from the team and trying to win there is how Champions are built.

He (and Boomer) go on to say that look at this roster - it’s just a collection of players. Tanev, Markstrom, Kadri, Coleman, Huberdeau, Weegar - these are all guys that just came on the market, didn’t earn their contracts with the Flames. The core that came up together - Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, (and they mention Gio) - they’re all gone and how the Flames responded to that is by building their team in effectively the same way the Rangers and Leafs used to build teams prior to the salary cap - they just spend big on whatever hits the market and it never works. “That’s not a plan” says Rhett, and I agree - as he then continues critique this organizations failure to ever thing big picture.

Rhett also failed to properly articulate the point he was trying to make for a good while, but finally gets there. You need to build your core internally, and then compliment them with external additions - and that is not how this Flames team was built.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-15-2023 at 03:37 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #313
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The poster who referred to these guys as a bunch of paid mercenaries said it best.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #314
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

He talks about the importance of building a team from within - guys all coming up together, earning bigger paydays from the team and trying to win there is how Champions are built.

He (and Boomer) go on to say that look at this roster - it’s just a collection of players. Tanev, Markstrom, Kadri, Coleman, Huberdeau, Weegar - these are all guys that just came on the market, didn’t earn their contracts with the Flames. The core that came up together - Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, (and they mention Gio) - they’re all gone and how the Flames responded to that is by building their team in effectively the same way the Rangers and Leafs used to build teams prior to the salary cap - they just spend big on whatever hits the market and it never works. “That’s not a plan” says Rhett, and I agree - as he then continues critique this organizations failure to ever thing big picture.

Rhett also failed to properly articulate the point he was trying to make for a good while, but finally gets there. You need to build your core internally, and then compliment them with external additions - and that is not how this Flames team was built.
Isn't that how the Rangers won in 1994
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #315
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Isn't that how the Rangers won in 1994
Yeah. But it was the Oilers core basically. They had come up together
Old 02-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #316
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rangers are probably one of the few teams that can still operate like that, but the salary cap has made it harder to do so.

Almost all of the Rangers best players are on the Rangers because they play in New York.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 04:31 PM   #317
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thing is that doesn't really feel like the issue.

Everyone says it's a super tight and close knit locker room, and I think they do play for one another.

It lacks high end talent - which is what you need to draft, and unfortunately Huberdeau isn't providing that.

But the underlying stats are strong.

Honestly if we had slightly better goaltending none of this is a discussion.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 04:37 PM   #318
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Thing is that doesn't really feel like the issue.

Everyone says it's a super tight and close knit locker room, and I think they do play for one another.

It lacks high end talent - which is what you need to draft, and unfortunately Huberdeau isn't providing that.

But the underlying stats are strong.

Honestly if we had slightly better goaltending none of this is a discussion.
It is 2 players having horrendous seasons that is it. Markstrom and Huberdeau play like they have in recent years that earned them those big paydays then this team is in first place in the West. No doubt they have another 10+ points in the standings if Huberdeau had 70pts and Markstrom had a .920 save%
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 04:52 PM   #319
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can Rhett explain how he came onto a team of a collection of players in 04 and years after that?

Thats who Darryl Sutter built his teams that Rhett played on.

Treliving at least tried to do it the right way and keep the players not much he can do if they don't want to grow here and stay and get paid.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 05:08 PM   #320
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of those guys who “came up together” became mercenaries. It’s not like Treliving booted them.

The Flames tried their darnedest to build internally. Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanted out. Monahan injured himself out. Bennett just didn’t pan out here. But aside from them you have Backlund, Dube, Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson. Setting Bennett aside they’d have a big a home grown core as most teams.

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-15-2023 at 05:11 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: