Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2023, 05:55 PM   #101
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would like to see Brad do what they did in the Zary draft.

If ever we draft high, drop back a few spots and grab a player of similar calibre.

Matthew Wood is my top target for players in our likely range of picks.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #102
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m just glad we kept the first rounder this year. This would be a bad year to give it up.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:47 PM   #103
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

By Sunday morning, Calgary could be in a top 10 draft position!
Old 03-03-2023, 10:44 PM   #104
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Would like to see Brad do what they did in the Zary draft.

If ever we draft high, drop back a few spots and grab a player of similar calibre.

Matthew Wood is my top target for players in our likely range of picks.
Except the player NY drafted with that #19OA is already playing impact minutes in the NHL on a good team. Not that the Flames would have drafted the same player.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 07:39 AM   #105
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Except the player NY drafted with that #19OA is already playing impact minutes in the NHL on a good team. Not that the Flames would have drafted the same player.
The irony is that everyone was worried the Flames were going to take that guy
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #106
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC many thought he was the safe pick and they should swing fot the fences.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:39 PM   #107
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked Dylan Holloway, Dawson Mercer, and Tyson Foerster for our original pick, but I figured there was no chance of us getting Mercer. I didn't even have Zary on the radar, I figured he would never make it past 15. Shows what I know, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 11:48 PM   #108
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked Schneider. I liked forester. I like Mercer. Zary I figured would be a backlund type but imo we need to swing for size and snarl or size snarl and skill. Or size and skill. This group has been pushed around for quite a while.

I don’t think trading down is good u less u get a high second. Thirds aren’t that valuable. Sure u can get some smaller undervalued players but we need game breakers with stout frames that can cause fits with puck possession in the offensive zone. All our guys are dainty and pushed off the puck too easily.

I think Ritchie and wood as right handed scoring centres with size and zeimmer as a good framed right shot nose for the net winger are solid offensive players that match my criteria: size skill and snarl. Mind you the snarl may come later especially if they put some weight in and add some confidence through success.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:26 AM   #109
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Figured I'd drop our latest mock draft in here.

https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/fchoc...aft-mock-2023/

Rankings can be had here: https://nhlentrydraft.com/rankings/

Plenty more to come throughout the next few months.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 12:27 AM   #110
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
I liked Schneider. I liked forester. I like Mercer. Zary I figured would be a backlund type but imo we need to swing for size and snarl or size snarl and skill. Or size and skill. This group has been pushed around for quite a while.

I don’t think trading down is good u less u get a high second. Thirds aren’t that valuable. Sure u can get some smaller undervalued players but we need game breakers with stout frames that can cause fits with puck possession in the offensive zone. All our guys are dainty and pushed off the puck too easily.

I think Ritchie and wood as right handed scoring centres with size and zeimmer as a good framed right shot nose for the net winger are solid offensive players that match my criteria: size skill and snarl. Mind you the snarl may come later especially if they put some weight in and add some confidence through success.
I agree, at least when it comes to our prospect cupboard, and I think the scouts have taken notice- our last 2 drafts have seen us pulling in bigger, meaner youngsters. Ritchie and Wood are good examples of forwards who have size and use it, and there's another big player I love- Center Nate Danielson, who has plenty of offensive skill, but is a whiz in transition- which we could use more of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 04:18 AM   #111
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember the board went nuts when Mercer was taken right before our pick.

I was pulling really hard for Mercer in that draft. Zary is still going to end up a solid player but Mercer had top 6 written all over him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 04:20 AM   #112
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another player with size and skill that I would flip for is LW Colby Barlow. He plays a less important position than C, but he skates well and competes hard. 43 goals in 54 OHL games. This player may go top-10.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:23 AM   #113
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember the board went nuts when Mercer was taken right before our pick.

I was pulling really hard for Mercer in that draft. Zary is still going to end up a solid player but Mercer had top 6 written all over him.
Exactly right- I firmly believe the Flames were crossing their fingers for Mercer, but when he was taken, that's when they decided to start trading down, as they had lost "their guy".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 05:39 AM   #114
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames currently have a 3% chance of drafting Bedard!!!! Keep playing like last night and they'll only improve their odds.

Maybe the unfinished business was about getting the first overall pick for the first time in franchise history!
Old 03-05-2023, 05:44 AM   #115
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

silver lining of this absolute turd of a season is the fact that they'll be in a position to draft a really talented prospect. Even if they "only" end up between 10 and 15, they'll have a shot at adding a great talent to the prospect pool ... and my god, does this franchise need it.

personally, I'd love to swing for the fences. Give me someone like Andrew Cristall.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:32 AM   #116
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
silver lining of this absolute turd of a season is the fact that they'll be in a position to draft a really talented prospect. Even if they "only" end up between 10 and 15, they'll have a shot at adding a great talent to the prospect pool ... and my god, does this franchise need it.

personally, I'd love to swing for the fences. Give me someone like Andrew Cristall.
While I understand where you are coming from I think dropping back is the best option when they are in that range.

Our prospect pool is pretty awful, and having two very solid prospects would help out more than having one slightly better prospect.

IMO, if your prospect pool is full of prospects than you start looking for the 5* prospects. When your your prospect pool is as thin as ours, you need to look at filling up the ranks.

If we can drop back and draft two solid players you certainly look to do. I wouldn't drop out of the first round though and this scenario is especially valid in a deep draft like this one.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:21 AM   #117
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I understand where you are coming from I think dropping back is the best option when they are in that range.

Our prospect pool is pretty awful, and having two very solid prospects would help out more than having one slightly better prospect.

IMO, if your prospect pool is full of prospects than you start looking for the 5* prospects. When your your prospect pool is as thin as ours, you need to look at filling up the ranks.

If we can drop back and draft two solid players you certainly look to do. I wouldn't drop out of the first round though and this scenario is especially valid in a deep draft like this one.
understandable. I would hope we can trade an upcoming UFA or two and add more picks that way.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #118
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
understandable. I would hope we can trade an upcoming UFA or two and add more picks that way.
Going to be very interesting.

Can't trade Lindholm as he is far too important to the team.

Can't trade Toffoli because our RW depth is horrible.

Tanev is moveable with our depth at D but not sure if he can bring back a first.

If by mid season we are horrible though, you blow it up completely.

Lindy to Winnipeg for Lambert, 1st and +
Toffoli for first.
Hanifin for Lysell and 1st.
Tanev for solid D prospect and 2nd.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #119
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have to clear salary to ice a legal roster. Hopefully, we gain picks instead of having to give them up
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #120
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post

Depends on what you do with the pick I guess.

I wanted Zary in that grouping and was rattled when they traded down twice ... but then pleasantly surprised to get him anyway.

Adding Poirier is a good piece of business.

And I think people are a little more high on Boltmann now too no? Not emerging prospect level, but less of a wasted pick level?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft