Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2023, 01:22 AM   #281
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
When I see that he's taken to developing his 200ft game and then watching the sizzle reels paired with what I just posted, you take the player and run. If you're a Flames fan and watch games, name one aspect of Yagers game that doesn't tick off every box we want. He can skate (granted needs minor tweaking) , drives play, reads developing plays and has maybe the best shot in the draft, yeah, the player sells himself.

I mean, my Chief hope still lies in a lotto win where we land pick #3, Draft Leo Carlsson, run away from the draft laughing.

But if we are in no man's land, this guy is the top of my list. Bomb shot center with compete. Yup.
No question, this kid is awesome. I would not be upset at all if we got him.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #282
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://https://thehockeywriters.com/...gs-horn-march/

http://https://ohlprospects.blogspot...nhl-entry.html

the second link is only available through Brock Otten's twitter. It's a good compilation and set of observations in depth about the draft eligible OHL kids.

https://twitter.com/BrockOtten

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 03-24-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Ziggy Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggy Lidstrom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 08:57 PM   #283
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need to go over and fight the flames playoff optimism thread.

It’s taking all of these good players away!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 09:25 PM   #284
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
When I see that he's taken to developing his 200ft game and then watching the sizzle reels paired with what I just posted, you take the player and run. If you're a Flames fan and watch games, name one aspect of Yagers game that doesn't tick off every box we want. He can skate (granted needs minor tweaking) , drives play, reads developing plays and has maybe the best shot in the draft, yeah, the player sells himself.

I mean, my Chief hope still lies in a lotto win where we land pick #3, Draft Leo Carlsson, run away from the draft laughing.

But if we are in no man's land, this guy is the top of my list. Bomb shot center with compete. Yup.
I would argue Bedard has the best shot. But everything else I do like. If Yager is there at our pick I would be delighted. Lots to like in the top 16. If there is any year to have an off year and suck, this is the one.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 11:28 PM   #285
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry Damage, the question I meant to ask was, would you take Yager over Smith, Sale, or Dvorsky?
Old 03-27-2023, 12:00 AM   #286
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Sorry Damage, the question I meant to ask was, would you take Yager over Smith, Sale, or Dvorsky?
Over Sale yes. Close call on the other two. If I'm the scout going to bat for my guy at the table. It'd be Yager I think. TBF, I haven't caught up on Smith yet like I have Dvorsky or Yager. Fact that his name is Will Smith just irks me irrationally.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:01 AM   #287
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doubt we have a shot at Yager now anyways. He'll be gone by 16
Old 03-27-2023, 12:26 AM   #288
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing the Kings then the red hot Canucks in the next two could extinguish their playoff hopes and provide that bump for the draft hopefuls.

I just want playoffs or an 11-13th OA pick. Not a fan of anything in between.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 05:30 AM   #289
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Yager goes top-10. Top-12 at least.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #290
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1640176626867785728

The Pentincton Vees finished with an okay 50-3-1 record in the BCHL.
Led by draft eligible Bradley Nadeau who had 113 points in 54 games. Right handed right wing. Looks like he's projected to go early in the 2nd round has committed to Univ. of Maine in the NCAA.

Flames prospect Cade Littler is also the the BCHL and is 6th in scoring with 68 points in 51 games.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 03-27-2023 at 09:48 AM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 09:52 AM   #291
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1640176626867785728

Led by draft eligible Bradley Nadeau who had 113 points in 54 games. Right handed right wing. Looks like he's projected to go early in the 2nd round has committed to Univ. of Maine in the NCAA.

Flames prospect Cade Littler is also the the BCHL and is 6th in scoring with 68 points in 51 games.

I was at the game last night. Very physical game. Really enjoyed the action!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #292
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've read a report that compared Yager to a poor-mans Bergeron. Yager is 6'0" btw. One thing that concerns me is that he only has 14 PIM in 66 games.
Why? I think the notion that PIMs are a good thing is a bit outdated these days. Most PIMs now are from hooks, holds, slashes, that kind of stuff. The days of guys that rack up roughing penalties and fighting majors leading to high PIMs are gone. Those guys still exist but they don't really add much to an NHL team anymore.

PIMs these days typically mean you take dumb penalties a lot, like Bennett or Nick Ritchie. Less is better.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 11:57 AM   #293
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Playing the Kings then the red hot Canucks in the next two could extinguish their playoff hopes and provide that bump for the draft hopefuls.

I just want playoffs or an 11-13th OA pick. Not a fan of anything in between.
So not a fan of 14th or 15th?

We are in the same window whether we make it or not. There will be good players where we draft, either way.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #294
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My concern with Yager is whether he would still be able to create space and cause trouble in the NHL. 6'0 and 165 lbs is fairly small for that style. I'm thinking he just needs to stay healthy.

There is also a bit of risk in drafting people that don't have strong NHLe projections. His point totals are pretty good, but perhaps a bit of a stretch for an early first round pick.

With that said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than the Flames' pick. GMs like players who play with energy and have strong all around games.

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 14th: "Has been remarkably consistent in his production. Continues to improve in the faceoff circle and score big goals at key times."

Ben Jordan - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "Brayden Yager, seemingly one of the more polarizing names thus far, brings with him a straight line, puck dominant style of play that for myself is hard to overlook. Yager gets around the ice in all areas very well thanks to his elite ability to see plays unfolding."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He plays with a lot of speed and energy, showing the ability to carry pucks up the ice and make skilled plays with pace. He’s not the biggest center, but Yager plays hard, showing a commitment to making plays without the puck and winning a lot of battles."

If he is getting Bergeron comparisons, then I didn't realize that he is that strong defensively. Guys like Bergeron are just winners, so that's a great comparable if true.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #295
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Craig Button has an updated list

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/craig-s-list-...king-1.1937531
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 01:51 PM   #296
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Dvorsky just continues to drop in various rankings. I am not a fan of draft fallers. Typically, I think you should look at players who have been rising as the whole point is to draft players for not what they are now, but what they will be in a few years.

Having said that, it would be tempting for a team to pick him. Based on what it being said about him, he has top level skills. The problem is that he is too passive and prefers to wait for plays to come to him, rather than making stuff happen on his own. You have to wonder if it is the sort of thing that could be coached out of him. The Flames probably aren't in a position to invest a 1st rounder in a player with a high risk for busting, but the potential reward seems really high as well.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:45 PM   #297
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Nadeau was 31 on Button's mid-season list; he is now 24th in his latest rankings. His teammate, Aydar Suniev is ranked 43rd by Button.

Interesting to see the names on the Vees. Nieuwendyk, Niedermayer, Arnott
Old 03-28-2023, 03:44 PM   #298
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Nadeau was 31 on Button's mid-season list; he is now 24th in his latest rankings. His teammate, Aydar Suniev is ranked 43rd by Button.

Interesting to see the names on the Vees. Nieuwendyk, Niedermayer, Arnott
lol

On that team are Scott Niedermayer's kid, Mike Richter's kid and Joe Nieuwendyk's kid.

There is also a kid with the surname Arnott and one with the surname Brunette, although they don't seem to be any relation to Jason Arnott or Andrew Brunette.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #299
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, I missed Richter; the Arnott kid is Jason's nephew
Old 03-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #300
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Dvorsky just continues to drop in various rankings. I am not a fan of draft fallers. Typically, I think you should look at players who have been rising as the whole point is to draft players for not what they are now, but what they will be in a few years.

Having said that, it would be tempting for a team to pick him. Based on what it being said about him, he has top level skills. The problem is that he is too passive and prefers to wait for plays to come to him, rather than making stuff happen on his own. You have to wonder if it is the sort of thing that could be coached out of him. The Flames probably aren't in a position to invest a 1st rounder in a player with a high risk for busting, but the potential reward seems really high as well.
Weren't Brandon Saad and Debrincat draft fallers, all the way to the Hawks in the 2nd round?

I guess it really depends on the reason why they fell.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft