Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2023, 06:21 AM   #261
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Sandman maybe I missed it, but got something on Colby Barlow?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:23 AM   #262
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Anyone in the 10-14 range we can plug in the lineup next season?
We already have players to plug in the bottom 6 next season. Pelletier should be here still, Ruzicka should get more time with Lucic gone, and I hope Zary makes that big step. Having those 3 and Duehr is eliminating the Lewis and Lucic-like players coming back. We’ve already forced our hand with our cap constraints.

This draft is strictly BPA, and I personally hope it’s a C or LW that can play well with Coronato.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 08:45 AM   #263
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The player I hope drops to us in the 2nd is Tanner Molendyk. Skates like the wind. Heard his agency paid $300k to represent him. I don't think that happens if there isn't buzz. Could be rink rumours.

I also wonder if someone take a flyer on Carmello Crandell. Kid of the former Stamps quarterback Marcus Crandell.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #264
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
@Sandman maybe I missed it, but got something on Colby Barlow?
I recently read a comparison to Barlow that I like- Mason McTavish. Both are thick and stocky, both are known for their hard, heavy shot, and both are able to grow caveman beards in their teens. Barlow can score from anywhere- from far out, from cleaning up in the crease, off the cycle, or off the rush. His shot is already NHL-calibre, with a paralyzing wrister, and a blistering one-timer. His team, Owen Sound is pretty middling- they are 13th out of 20 in the standings, and 12th in goals-scored, yet Barlow leads his team by 13 points, and 16 goals (46 in 59, and 79 points). He has that goal-scorers mentality, where he finds the right spots to be, and creates passing lanes. He will go to the net, the corners or any other danger area, and he competes hard. Barlow is a complete player, as he can play in any situation-he’s as good on the PK as he is on the PP. He’s very details oriented, and plays a pro style. This kid has oodles of character, and is Captain of his team.

Drawbacks? For one, he’s not as much of a playmaker as he is a scorer, despite putting up 33 apples. He’s also not much of a transitional player, and usually defers to others to carry the puck in, thereby entering as F2. Depite this, he’s actually good defensively against transition. He uses his size in puck battles, and in front of the net quite effectively, but he’s not known as a big hitter. He could stand to exert more effort in his own zone at times, too. Unfortunately, he plays W and not the more important position, center. CB exhibits excellent speed, but he’s not a burner-there’s room to grow in this area. I really like this player, and I believe he’ll be taken around 8-13.

Last edited by Sandman; 03-22-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 01:10 PM   #265
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I read about Leonard, it sounds like he could be a great pick in that 15-20 range. Of course, we'd all be on pins and needles until he signs like with every other college player.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #266
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I recently read a comparison to Barlow that I like- Mason McTavish. Both are thick and stocky, both are known for their hard, heavy shot, and both are able to grow caveman beards in their teens. Barlow can score from anywhere- from far out, from cleaning up in the crease, off the cycle, or off the rush. His shot is already NHL-calibre, with a paralyzing wrister, and a blistering one-timer. His team, Owen Sound is pretty middling- they are 13th out of 20 in the standings, and 12th in goals-scored, yet Barlow leads his team by 13 points, and 16 goals (46 in 59, and 79 points). He has that goal-scorers mentality, where he finds the right spots to be, and creates passing lanes. He will go to the net, the corners or any other danger area, and he competes hard. Barlow is a complete player, as he can play in any situation-he’s as good on the PK as he is on the PP. He’s very details oriented, and plays a pro style. This kid has oodles of character, and is Captain of his team.

Drawbacks? For one, he’s not as much of a playmaker as he is a scorer, despite putting up 33 apples. He’s also not much of a transitional player, and usually defers to others to carry the puck in, thereby entering as F2. Depite this, he’s actually good defensively against transition. He uses his size in puck battles, and in front of the net quite effectively, but he’s not known as a big hitter. He could stand to exert more effort in his own zone at times, too. Unfortunately, he plays W and not the more important position, center. CB exhibits excellent speed, but he’s not a burner-there’s room to grow in this area. I really like this player, and I believe he’ll be taken around 8-13.
Sounds Toffoli-like. Except, through time, Toffoli has developed a nice passing game when he’s not shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #267
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doubtful, although Cole Sillinger was chosen 12th overall in 2021, and was playing in the NHL the next year, albeit with the lowly Blue Jackets. If anyone were to make it in next season, I would bet on one of the big guys who skate well- Danielson, Barlow, maybe Ritchie and Yager? Wood is playing against men, but is only a freshman, and needs work on his skating. All just a guess.
Please no more Ritchies
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 05:09 PM   #268
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
The player I hope drops to us in the 2nd is Tanner Molendyk. Skates like the wind. Heard his agency paid $300k to represent him. I don't think that happens if there isn't buzz. Could be rink rumours.

I also wonder if someone take a flyer on Carmello Crandell. Kid of the former Stamps quarterback Marcus Crandell.
I read an interview where Molendyk talks about his pride in playing good defense, with the offense coming later. More offense was expected from him before the season began (he has 37 points in 65 games), being selected 6th overall by the Blades in the 2020 Bantam Draft, and he was pegged to go in the first round of the NHL Draft by many, but I think this is a guy who gets selected in the 2nd round, then explodes numbers-wise. He just plays the game the right way. One report calls him the best rush defender in this class, and yes-his skating really stands out. Let’s not forget, TJ Brodie only had 30 points in 68 games in his draft year.

PS: He’s listed at 5’11”, 176lbs, but he’s actually 6’0”, and 185 lbs.

Last edited by Sandman; 03-22-2023 at 05:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #269
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find myself today kind of hoping the Flames just bottom out so they can Land Yager.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:43 PM   #270
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I find myself today kind of hoping the Flames just bottom out so they can Land Yager.
Yaromir Yager?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:44 PM   #271
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They can’t even lose right….
Old 03-23-2023, 10:25 PM   #272
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can't have the big 4, I'd like a Brayden Yager Plz, thnx.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:56 PM   #273
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we can't have the big 4, I'd like a Brayden Yager Plz, thnx.
Yager is an absolute BEAUT, but just for argument's sake- would you take Smith, Sale, or Dvorsky first?
Old 03-23-2023, 11:42 PM   #274
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How’s yagers skating?

I have heard he had a lot of success because he was a bigger kid in junior with a good shot. This year he’s tried to round out his game to some moderate success.

Those types of profiles scare me if the speed isn’t there.

Isn’t he only 6’1? Not exceptional. Personally I’d say Koehn Zimmer looks like his is trending better.

Lots of good talent in this draft. Late first are still going to be valuable. I like what wash and nash did especially. They are gonna restock in a big way.

We still can move assets at the draft which I hope treliving a successor does. Hanifin or lindholm would be juicy with their expiring deals. Even tofu lee would be someone who could land us something valuable.

More top 40 picks this draft would be good for this team.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:44 PM   #275
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yager is an absolute BEAUT, but just for argument's sake- would you take Smith, Sale, or Dvorsky first?
Dvorsky.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:49 PM   #276
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking up some yager highlights I see why people are fawning. His shot and release is a good one for sure.

It depends on where we draft but I like him. He maybe isn’t that explosive of a skater but he has good size and a good nose for the net. That with his wrist shot will surely get him drafted top ten.

Interesting draft.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:51 PM   #277
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
How’s yagers skating?

I have heard he had a lot of success because he was a bigger kid in junior with a good shot. This year he’s tried to round out his game to some moderate success.

Those types of profiles scare me if the speed isn’t there.

Isn’t he only 6’1? Not exceptional. Personally I’d say Koehn Zimmer looks like his is trending better.

Lots of good talent in this draft. Late first are still going to be valuable. I like what wash and nash did especially. They are gonna restock in a big way.

We still can move assets at the draft which I hope treliving a successor does. Hanifin or lindholm would be juicy with their expiring deals. Even tofu lee would be someone who could land us something valuable.

More top 40 picks this draft would be good for this team.
Brayden Yager's Player Profile
Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Dec. 19th: "Brayden Yager is a high-level finisher who has an unreal release, blistering shots by netminders with ease. When he gets going, he can pick up speed and is a very dangerous player off the rush."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 14th: "Has been remarkably consistent in his production. Continues to improve in the faceoff circle and score big goals at key times."

Ben Jordan - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "Brayden Yager, seemingly one of the more polarizing names thus far, brings with him a straight line, puck dominant style of play that for myself is hard to overlook. Yager gets around the ice in all areas very well thanks to his elite ability to see plays unfolding."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He plays with a lot of speed and energy, showing the ability to carry pucks up the ice and make skilled plays with pace. He’s not the biggest center, but Yager plays hard, showing a commitment to making plays without the puck and winning a lot of battles."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 1st: "He’s a ton of fun to watch, with a threatening, attacking, puck-dominant game plus a highlight-reel quality to his skill in straight lines and in cutting sequences in transition."

Nick Richard - Dobber Prospects - Oct. 20th: "There is room for him to add a bit of quickness to his stride, but he gets around the ice well because of how he reads the play, which also helps him on the defensive side of the puck."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Oct. 19th: "A dynamic skater who will shoot at anytime. Will drag others into the fight."

Steven - Daily FaceOff - Oct. 3rd: " Yager was especially impressive at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup back in August, showcasing why he’s one of the best goal-scorers early on with a goal per game."

Peter Baracchini - The Hockey Writers - Sept. 27th: "He loves to take control of the game with his shot and high-end scoring abilities. He has a knack for finding the open spaces and freeing himself up for a prime scoring opportunity."

Bob McKenzie - TSN - Sept. 22nd: "The Moose Jaw Warrior centre has all the tools to be a well-rounded No. 1, at worst high-end No. 2, NHL centre who can impact the game in every way — offensively, defensively, goal scoring and playmaking"Ryan Kennedy - The Hockey News - August 23rd: "A wicked shooter with a hard, accurate release, Yager has also added to his playmaking arsenal in recent years."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - August 8th: "He’s also dangerous inside the offensive zone from the top of the circles in, with a quick-release wrister that comes off of his blade hard and with a slight, goalie-fooling adjustment pre-shot, impressive puck skill in congested areas, an ability to attack in bursts and make something happen out of dead plays, an equal ability to play off of coverage and make himself available for his linemates."
Old 03-24-2023, 12:03 AM   #278
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post

Wow! I coached Carmello in soccer many years ago! Met Marcus and his wife many times and they had terrific memories and stories about the Grey Cup. Super nice family. Good luck to them all!

Edited; I never get a cool story bro…I got one after all!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.

Last edited by McG; 03-24-2023 at 12:28 AM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 12:04 AM   #279
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read a report that compared Yager to a poor-mans Bergeron. Yager is 6'0" btw. One thing that concerns me is that he only has 14 PIM in 66 games.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:18 AM   #280
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I see that he's taken to developing his 200ft game and then watching the sizzle reels paired with what I just posted, you take the player and run. If you're a Flames fan and watch games, name one aspect of Yagers game that doesn't tick off every box we want. He can skate (granted needs minor tweaking) , drives play, reads developing plays and has maybe the best shot in the draft, yeah, the player sells himself.

I mean, my Chief hope still lies in a lotto win where we land pick #3, Draft Leo Carlsson, run away from the draft laughing.

But if we are in no man's land, this guy is the top of my list. Bomb shot center with compete. Yup.

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft