Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #641
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 3d thing is a double edged sword. There’s got to be a pretty large portion of the population who has sworn off 3d by now. If the message is it’s only worth seeing in 3d, it just turns off a lot of people.

The 3:10 run time was a bit of an arrogant move if they cared about selling tickets to the masses. My family would probably check it out if it was 2:30, but 3:10 is too much to ask for casual fans of the original.

I’d bet on it coming just short of top gun world wide. A decent run through the holidays and big drop off after new year’s seems likely.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #642
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Puss in Boots is set to have a pretty good run, honestly. Looks more interesting than the tripe Disney/Pixar have been putting out recently, great family friendly counter-programming to Avatar (in both content and run time), the 'Shrek' franchise has been dormant for a while too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #643
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The 3d thing is a double edged sword. There’s got to be a pretty large portion of the population who has sworn off 3d by now. If the message is it’s only worth seeing in 3d, it just turns off a lot of people.

The 3:10 run time was a bit of an arrogant move if they cared about selling tickets to the masses. My family would probably check it out if it was 2:30, but 3:10 is too much to ask for casual fans of the original.

I’d bet on it coming just short of top gun world wide. A decent run through the holidays and big drop off after new year’s seems likely.
Well if people are turned off by things that look cool because reasons then I guess the spectacle of the theatre isn’t for them in the first place. That kind of the whole point of blockbusters.

I can see how the run time is problematic for people who can’t sit still or comfortably that long but whatever. No one is forcing anyone to go. If Cameron wanted a 3 hour movie then the choice is to go see it or don’t. I don’t think he’s real worried about it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #644
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chinook theater closed due to flooding, looks like they're not open again until Fri.

Just in case anyone was planning on hitting the IMAX.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #645
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

Avatar 3d is different. It's based around entire environments designed for 3d.

Totally different experience than just a action movie with a random object going your way.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #646
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Box office of 16.25 on Monday and looking like 18.3 on Tuesday.

This is about 1.25 million less than Rogue One and a bigger Sunday/Monday drop but .75 more and an increase rather than staying flat for Tuesday. Following Rogue Ones daily performance from here on out gets about 515 million.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 03:25 AM   #647
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Box office of 16.25 on Monday and looking like 18.3 on Tuesday.

This is about 1.25 million less than Rogue One and a bigger Sunday/Monday drop but .75 more and an increase rather than staying flat for Tuesday. Following Rogue Ones daily performance from here on out gets about 515 million.
The big difference is the international vs domestic. A2 has more than double the domestic box office internationally. Rogue one had a pretty even domestic/international split.

I also think we see much better legs with A2, as it's far more family orientated.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #648
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The big difference is the international vs domestic. A2 has more than double the domestic box office internationally. Rogue one had a pretty even domestic/international split.

I also think we see much better legs with A2, as it's far more family orientated.
I’ve never followed international legs closely and just pick splits then add in China. If you look at Avatar 1 and then adjust for the rise of value in the US dollar you come out with a 32/68 split plus China.

I’m using R1 as a domestic reference point as the Christmas days line up and the grosses are similar.

I do wonder if the 3:10 run time makes it’s less family friendly in a similar way to the violence in R1. Following the R1 logic gets you to about 1.7 Billion all in.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #649
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well if people are turned off by things that look cool because reasons then I guess the spectacle of the theatre isn’t for them in the first place. That kind of the whole point of blockbusters.

I can see how the run time is problematic for people who can’t sit still or comfortably that long but whatever. No one is forcing anyone to go. If Cameron wanted a 3 hour movie then the choice is to go see it or don’t. I don’t think he’s real worried about it.
It can cause certain people to get migraines

Quote:
There is a risk of migraines that comes from watching a 3D movie, according to a study published in the journal Frontiers in Neurology. In fact, people who suffer from migraines have more than three times the risk of developing a 3D-induced headache compared to most other moviegoers. (Young women were also found to be at higher risk.) While more research needs to be done to determine the specific reasons behind this finding, it has been suggested that possible causes could be light sensitivity, eye strain, the movie’s frame speed, intensity of the film’s visual effects and the way images are projected through the 3D glasses required to view these films.
https://www.themigraineinstitute.com...20view%20these
Old 12-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #650
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually wanted to see this but at 3hrs long I'll probably just wait for it on 4K but yikes what a terrible opening weekend

https://twitter.com/user/status/1607773608503562244
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #651
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I actually wanted to see this but at 3hrs long I'll probably just wait for it on 4K but yikes what a terrible opening weekend

https://twitter.com/user/status/1607773608503562244
Yikes. That has to be one of the worst bombs of all time. This is likely a wait until it comes out on Netflix type of movie for most people.

I must admit, Margot Robbie doing another accent isn't really all that appealing for me.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:17 AM   #652
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last 3 days Avatar beat R1 dailies so it appears heading into this weekend it will exceed R1 legs and get to a minimum of 513.

It’s starting to catch NWH now with 19.5 on Thursday vs NWHs 20.7. If it can behave like NWH the rest of the way it would earn another 250 million. Getting it to 608. If it holds its 70/30 int/dom split it makes 2 billion
Old 12-31-2022, 11:08 AM   #653
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's prediction time, give me what you think the top 5 movies at the box office will be plus one surprise hit and which one will be the biggest bomb of the year.. ...

Top 5 World Wide:

1) Little Mermaid
2) Mission Impossible
3) Fast X
4) The Marvel's
5) Aquaman 2

Surprise hit: Barbie
Bomb:Wonka
Old 12-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #654
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I might throw Super Mario Bros in there before Marvels and/or Aquaman. That franchise crosses over multiple generations. A lot of guys my age who played it growing up will want to see it just as much as their kids.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2022, 01:19 PM   #655
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I might throw Super Mario Bros in there before Marvels and/or Aquaman. That franchise crosses over multiple generations. A lot of guys my age who played it growing up will want to see it just as much as their kids.
I have a feeling Mario will do well, but I think it will preform like Sonic and finish in the say 300mill range world wide.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:22 PM   #656
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The last 3 days Avatar beat R1 dailies so it appears heading into this weekend it will exceed R1 legs and get to a minimum of 513.

It’s starting to catch NWH now with 19.5 on Thursday vs NWHs 20.7. If it can behave like NWH the rest of the way it would earn another 250 million. Getting it to 608. If it holds its 70/30 int/dom split it makes 2 billion
A2 is behaving more like Avatar 1 at this point. I say it beats 2 billion easy. Should be at 1.7 billion by the end of next weekend.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:28 AM   #657
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
It's prediction time, give me what you think the top 5 movies at the box office will be plus one surprise hit and which one will be the biggest bomb of the year.. ...

Top 5 World Wide:

1) Little Mermaid
2) Mission Impossible
3) Fast X
4) The Marvel's
5) Aquaman 2

Surprise hit: Barbie
Bomb:Wonka
I think you're being way too optimistic with Little Mermaid. The rest of Disney's live action remakes have ranged from average to awful. I don't think people will be lining up for it, it will need to be amazing and live on word-of-mouth to go deep

My prediction is that Avatar 2 has legs similar to the first and it stays as the highest grossing movie for 2023
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:45 AM   #658
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disney can eff off with all these live remakes. complete garbage.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #659
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree they have all been bad but they have all made bank. Lion King made over $1.6 Billion I can see Mermaid coming close to that
Old 01-01-2023, 11:30 AM   #660
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have a feeling Mario will do well, but I think it will preform like Sonic and finish in the say 300mill range world wide.
I dunno... every household on the planet has owned a Nintendo and played a Mario game at some point during the past 35 years. Plus It's something relatively new, not another comic genre or sequel - and the trailer was spectacular. It has a lot going for it.

I'd bet Mario will do *massive* numbers, upwards of $1B worldwide.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote