Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2023, 08:01 AM   #4921
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Yeah, When they plan stuff like that so far out publically, you just know it's going to shift and some will never happen. Remember the big Marvel blockbuster THE INHUMANS. Me either.
Just like that Guardians of the Galaxy movie, Guardians who? What is this crap who is going to watch that!

At least it had a good director... oh wait...
Old 02-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #4922
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Just like that Guardians of the Galaxy movie, Guardians who? What is this crap who is going to watch that!

To be clear, it wasn't about the obscurity of some the properties, just that a lot can shift over time in the business.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #4923
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
To be clear, it wasn't about the obscurity of some the properties, just that a lot can shift over time in the business.
Ahh I see, more about this big slate of properties seemingly pulled out of thin air. I get that, makes sense.

I do think a lot of these though are a classic James Gunn type move. He does like the obscurity and I never would have thought a Peacemaker TV series would happen.. then it did.

So I do have SOME faith in him that he will see these projects through.. but yes, it is ambitious for sure you're right on that.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #4924
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh I see, more about this big slate of properties seemingly pulled out of thin air. I get that, makes sense.

I do think a lot of these though are a classic James Gunn type move. He does like the obscurity and I never would have thought a Peacemaker TV series would happen.. then it did.

So I do have SOME faith in him that he will see these projects through.. but yes, it is ambitious for sure you're right on that.
Yeah, it's like even look at Marvel now, Blade may or may not come out. It feels 50/50 right now. And stuff gets pushed like Ant-Man. I used Inhumans as an example because it got shuffled off to TV when Marvel Studios got more autonomy from Disney rather than Ike Perlmutter etc. IIRC Ike was the one horny for an Inhumans movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #4925
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a get for DC! Mangold is an amazing director, he will be perfect for Swamp Thing.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1620686622152077313
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #4926
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let's also all recall that James Gunn has done one movie for DC and it was a flop.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:02 AM   #4927
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Let's also all recall that James Gunn has done one movie for DC and it was a flop.
The Suicide Squad was good though.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #4928
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't actually realize it had performed so poorly... I mean, it's not Gunn's fault, obviously. He made a good Suicide Squad movie and no one saw it because the other Suicide Squad movie was so terrible (I gather; I never bothered).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #4929
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yes it had a rough go at the box office. But critic and fan reaction were both good. As others said, it was in the shadow of a horrible movie unfortunately..

We've had this debate before, but we can't always use box office as the measure of a 'good' movie. But successful, yes financially it was not a success.

There's definitely some digging to get out of the hole DC is in..

Spoiler!
Old 02-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #4930
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it had a rough go at the box office. But critic and fan reaction were both good. As others said, it was in the shadow of a horrible movie unfortunately..

We've had this debate before, but we can't always use box office as the measure of a 'good' movie. But successful, yes financially it was not a success.

There's definitely some digging to get out of the hole DC is in..

Spoiler!
Right, however, in the current movie market, especially in light of the WB+Discovery merger, the financial success is crucially important even moreso than ever for getting projects and subsequent building on those projects, greenlit.

Actually Suicide Squad is a pretty good example.

They get a second kick at that can with the Gunn film, but even though it was actually quite entertaining it didnt make bank, so they're probably not going to go back to that well for a while.

Whereas films like Batman vs. Superman and Justice League were categorically awful but generated a lot of revenue. I dont know where their 'profits' landed because those movies were a pretty notorious financial boondoggle.

And right now WBD seem more focused on saving money on their taxes and pumping their stock price than actually making good movies.

Which to me is a big red flag, historically speaking whenever any business focuses their energies on externalities like their taxes and share price as opposed to their core competencies that is usually bad news. For everybody.

If you focus on your core competency, in this case making good movies, then once you rake in the cash you can focus a department on saving money on your taxes and once all of that shakes out then the share price will take care of itself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #4931
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They get a second kick at that can with the Gunn film, but even though it was actually quite entertaining it didnt make bank, so they're probably not going to go back to that well for a while.
Didn't Peacemaker do pretty well though?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:43 PM   #4932
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wife's show is sticking around for at least another season. No idea how Superman & Lois even fits in all of that but it is there.

It still doesn't feel like a cohesive model but I will give Gunn the benefit of the doubt. I didn't care much for his Suicide Squad but Peace Maker was fantastic. He has a way with the obscure characters.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:07 PM   #4933
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Wife's show is sticking around for at least another season. No idea how Superman & Lois even fits in all of that but it is there.

It still doesn't feel like a cohesive model but I will give Gunn the benefit of the doubt. I didn't care much for his Suicide Squad but Peace Maker was fantastic. He has a way with the obscure characters.
I think the CW Arrowverse is it's own thing. Not sure how many of those shows are still running though.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 PM   #4934
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superman & Lois isn't considered part of the Arrowverse anymore.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:17 AM   #4935
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So I watched Black Panther 2 now that it hit Disney+.. I want to be nice here, I want to be.

I understand they were put into a difficult situation given everything, I thought the movie did an amazing job of paying tribute to Boseman and his character. But this movie was not good. Like.. so not good, it was bad. I have to admit, it was a bad movie. I was rooting for it, I very much enjoyed the first one, it is one of my favourite Marvel movies, but this was just so far off the mark for me.

I'll spoiler my specific thoughts for those who haven't watched it yet:

Spoiler!

Overall I'd give it a 3/10 and put it among the worst Marvel movies made, there were some good action scenes, some of the visuals were pleasing and Namor was really well done. The tributes to Boseman/T'challa were a 10/10.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:39 AM   #4936
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No idea about Arrowverses or where that show lies universe wise but it does fall under the control of Gunn and Strafana (not sure the other execs name) in the grand scheme of things.

I don't watch. Most of that is just rubbish.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #4937
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Superman & Lois been renewed for another season beyond the one that is set to premiere in March?

I was under the impression they were making it with the assumption it was going to be the final season (like everything else airing on The CW).
Old 02-02-2023, 09:27 AM   #4938
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Superman & Lois isn't considered part of the Arrowverse anymore.
Oh, I didn't know! Are any of those shows even still going then?
Old 02-02-2023, 09:32 AM   #4939
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
No idea about Arrowverses or where that show lies universe wise but it does fall under the control of Gunn and Strafana (not sure the other execs name) in the grand scheme of things.

I don't watch. Most of that is just rubbish.
Knowing what you normally work on, that is...pretty damning.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:54 AM   #4940
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know! Are any of those shows even still going then?
I believe the Arrowverse will officially be over once the final season of The Flash airs this spring.

Superman & Lois has its 3rd season premiering in March, but it was officially disconnected from the Arrowverse last season (and never really crossed over with the main Arrowverse after the Crisis miniseries anyway).

Gotham Knights is set to premiere in March as well, but it's going to exist in its own reality. I'll be surprised if it gets more than one season.

All the other DC shows on The CW have finished their runs. With the changing directions of DC, Warner Bros, and The CW, it's unlikely we see any new shows go into development at the network.