Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #1681
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Good to know. Yes, I had problems when they first came out and didn't realize companies started making much better ones. I feel stupid for buying it now but at least it's extra long I guess.
No cable lasts forever. Even the well regarded kevlar reinforced Anker cable.

The Belkin cable perhaps is superior to the Belkin products I used in the past, but for $35, I can buy 9 braided cables of the same length that should last nearly as long as the Belkin. Even if it only lasts half the life due to it being some sketchy build, you're way up in terms of cable replacement. That's not even getting into the Anker cable which should last longer than the Belkin and costs less (but takes a bit longer to acquire due to shipping)

Most cables fray at approximately the same spot. If somehow no cable can withstand your usage habits, consider reinforcing the "ankle" with something like Sugru. Technically, you can reinforce any cable with Sugru, but I'd hesitate to suggest repairing a cable with Sugru. Replace all frayed cables.

Long cables help a lot, especially at the bedside. The cables aren't pulled as hard at varying angles when you pick up the phone to check it etc. With a longer cable, you can comfortably sit in bed using the device vs pushing your body at an angle to use the device. If you strained to use the device before, likely the cable was straining too.

And seriously consider checking the wall adapter. I've thrown out a lot of wall chargers because they start warming up after about a year (Apple included). Based on the ones I've tried, you can't really go wrong with Anker, Amazon basics, Blackberry or Aukey wall chargers. I'd definitely suggest going with a model with 2 or more USB ports.

I've always been pretty happy with this style of wall charger:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Desktop-...s=wall+charger

The cord on the wall charger means after plugging in once, I don't have to go behind whatever again to reach the outlet. Plus I have extra USB ports so I don't have to constantly unplug and replug. This is especially helpful when traveling and the only available plug is in some random corner and/or a significant other or someone unplugging you to charge their device due to no free USB ports.

But the basic wall ones are fine too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #1682
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Memory Express has good deals on Lightning cables as well.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #1683
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have MacBook Air laptop, but have always had android phones. Through points rewards program, I can get a iPhone 7 (not "plus" unfortunately). Main things I want from smartphone is a good, convenient camera.

Has anyone switched from Android to iPhone7? Experience?
Should I be holding out for iPhone8 if I'm going to make the switch (though never can tell when/if rewards program will have and not sure I can wait)?
General thoughts?

(Mods: posting in Android thread as well; not trying to duplicate but thinking Android/Apple users may only visit one of these threads - delete one, if you must)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #1684
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
I have MacBook Air laptop, but have always had android phones. Through points rewards program, I can get a iPhone 7 (not "plus" unfortunately). Main things I want from smartphone is a good, convenient camera.

Has anyone switched from Android to iPhone7? Experience?
Should I be holding out for iPhone8 if I'm going to make the switch (though never can tell when/if rewards program will have and not sure I can wait)?
General thoughts?

(Mods: posting in Android thread as well; not trying to duplicate but thinking Android/Apple users may only visit one of these threads - delete one, if you must)
The 7 has a pretty good camera. Superior even to my wife's 6S camera. The cameras on Android vary greatly. You'd need to do a case by case comparison to know which are better or worse cameras vs iphone 7. IMO, 7 is very good, but 7 plus blows it away. The 7plus is comparable in size to Android phones though. The 7 is much smaller than those Androids. I think the 7 lags behind quite a few current Android phones, but it's smaller, thus the Androids often can put bigger/better parts into the phone.

My wife's transition from the One plus one to iPhone 6S was pretty easy. Contacts transfer was easy. App stuff hit or miss. In fact, so much less rage about phones after she transitioned. She just wanted something that worked. She didn't tweak things in Android. I'm not sure how you use your phone, so I don't know if it'd be the same. There are many articles detailing how to transfer info.

Worth mentioning (because no one seems to know this), but if want to take a quick pic on iphone, when on lock screen, swipe left. It's a short cut to the camera. This can be disabled, but it's on by default IIRC. It also means you can give someone your camera to take a pic without giving access to the rest of your phone.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-26-2017 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #1685
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On the topic of cables... does the discussion include the magsafe stuff for a Macbook? 100$ is asinine for a freaking charger and cable. Are third party Macbook charges okay?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #1686
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
On the topic of cables... does the discussion include the magsafe stuff for a Macbook? 100$ is asinine for a freaking charger and cable. Are third party Macbook charges okay?

Our magsafe charger on our seven year old macbook pro started to overheat so we took it to the Apple store and they gave us a new one for free.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #1687
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which gen magsafe? The "L" connection or the "T"?I might have a spare apple one I'd sell.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #1688
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apple styled stuff is generally well designed. I've never used a 3rd party charger, but I've used plenty of 3rd party chargers for windows computers with no problem. If a charger is bad, it's usually apparent immediately.

Also, many chargers are multiple components. If you look at your charger, you might be able to get away with replacing half the charger rather than the whole thing. Some components are cheaper than others. Look at your charger and see if it's maybe a cheaper part that can be replaced, or if it's the more expensive piece which means it makes sense to replace the whole thing.

But maybe stop by the Apple store to see if they can replace, repair or offer a credit towards a new one before considering the above?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #1689
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its the L style magsafe for a 2011 pro. Its frayed right before the L portion.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #1690
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its the L style magsafe for a 2011 pro. Its frayed right before the L portion.
I'll take a look when I'm at home tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #1691
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any expectations for the upcoming iPhones? Maybe a new thread is needed.

There's supposed to be 3 different devices this year. A refresh of the iPhone 7 (7s & 7s Plus) and the new iPhone 8 (Edition, X, iPhone - no one knows what the name will be exactly).

There's quite a few rumours and speculation floating around. Forbes had the best article on it all, citing reliable sources.

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#11d9412f7e65

Quote:
a) Confirmation of previous leaks:
  • Kuo - Apple will indeed launch three iPhones in 2017: a 4.7-inch iPhone 7S and 5.5-inch iPhone 7S Plus both with LCD displays and a 5.8-inch iPhone 8 with OLED
  • Kuo - iPhone 8 scraps the physical home button
  • Kuo - iPhone 8 front camera supports 3D scanning and advanced facial recognition
  • Kuo - iPhone 7S has a single camera and 2GB of RAM
  • Kuo - iPhone 7S Plus has dual rear cameras and 3GB of RAM
  • Kuo - iPhone 8 has (possibly enhanced) dual rear camera and 3GB of RAM
Quote:
b) New Information
  • Kuo - The iPhone 8 will have the world’s highest screen-to-body ratio among mass market smartphones
  • Kuo - Touch ID will not be integrated into the iPhone 8 display and will instead be scrapped entirely
  • Kuo - Touch ID remains on the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus, they are expected to miss out on facial recognition
  • Kuo - No 128GB iPhone models. iPhone 7S, iPhone 7S Plus and iPhone 8 will only come in 64GB and 256GB storage options
  • Kuo - Lightning port retained on all three new iPhones, but USB-C power delivery embedded for faster charging
  • Kuo - all three new iPhones still ship with the same 5W power adapter with USB-A port, so fast charger may be an optional extra
  • Kuo - iPhone 8 has upgraded speakers for improved stereo separation (headphone jack missing from all models)
  • Kuo - iPhone 8 will have fewer colour options than iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus, at least at launch. Kuo who cites “boutique image” as reasoning behind it
  • Gurman - Seconded confirmation iPhone 8 will not support Touch ID fingerprint recognition
  • Gurman - iPhone 8‘s advanced facial recognition technology “allows users to log in, authenticate payments, and launch secure apps by scanning their face”
  • Gurman - iPhone 8’s facial recognition powered by a new dedicated 3D sensor and it is testing eye scanning to augment the system
  • Gurman - iPhone 8 may feature ProMotion display technology used in new 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro. ProMotion offers a variable refresh rate to improve performance or save battery life as needed
  • Gurman - iPhone 8 has an ‘Apple Neural Engine’ which handles both ProMotion and various “artificial intelligence tasks”
  • Kuo (all below via a MacRumors update) - iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus moving to glass chassis with metal frames to accommodate WPC-standard Qi wireless charging
  • Kuo - wireless charging on all new iPhones will require an optional accessory and will not be available out of the box.
  • Kuo - USB-A to Lightning cable will be a standard accessory on all new iPhones, dismisses last week’s Barclays report claiming Apple would bundle a 10W power adapter with USB-C connector
  • Kuo - DRAM transfer speed of iPhone 8, iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus 10-15% faster than iPhone 7 for improved AR performance.
  • Kuo - All three iPhones will be unveiled simultaneously "For optimized promotional effect”
  • Kuo - But release dates spread with August-September release for iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus, October-November for the iPhone 8. Shipments projected to be 80-85M units combined with 50/50 split between LCD and OLED

There are also a few videos floating around out there of people with "dummy" or 3D prints of what the new "iPhone 8" is supposed to look like.

I actually did a video and so have other reviewers like Unbox Therapy and MKBHD.

So what are everyone's thoughts?

Last edited by MrDJZak; 08-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #1692
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would replace the fingerprint scan?

I don't see how Apple Pay works without it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #1693
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What would replace the fingerprint scan?
I don't see how Apple Pay works without it
The facial recognition?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #1694
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should just put the Touch ID on the back. Facial recognition.. well okay. It was on Android like a decade about but was pretty slow and cumbersome. Would prefer if Apple went that route they didn't remove the touch ID, it's been one of the best things they've added in years.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #1695
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I was skeptical of the touch ID too, since finger print scanning had been not the greatest experience in previous implementations, but Apple did a good job with it.

Yeah I'd hate to see it go, if they weren't able to get it to work through the screen like they were hoping I'd like to have one on the back too, but if they can get facial recognition working as well as with the fingerprint I guess I'd be ok with it.

You'd think the banks and credit card companies that are ok with the fingerprint scan replacing the PIN would have to be satisfied too to allow Apple to hook it into Apple Pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #1696
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Should just put the Touch ID on the back. Facial recognition.. well okay. It was on Android like a decade about but was pretty slow and cumbersome. Would prefer if Apple went that route they didn't remove the touch ID, it's been one of the best things they've added in years.
I completely agree, i use my apple watch in all drive thru's now. I just extend my wrist out there. Its going to look pretty stupid holding your face up to your phone to make an apple pay purchase. Even punching in a code is a major downgrade in touch id. I Guess every single apple pay purchase I make will be with my watch (if I even decide to upgrade).
Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #1697
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe Apple isn't happy to just have everyone's fingerprint on record, they want their faces too!
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #1698
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I completely agree, i use my apple watch in all drive thru's now. I just extend my wrist out there. Its going to look pretty stupid holding your face up to your phone to make an apple pay purchase. Even punching in a code is a major downgrade in touch id. I Guess every single apple pay purchase I make will be with my watch (if I even decide to upgrade).
I use my Apple watch to pay as well, although I've had weird looks and comments so I don't do it often. If the facial recognition isn't as seamless as Touch ID I'll definitely be using my watch more as well.

I'm hoping wireless charging is finally in the new phone as the rumours suggest. It's long overdue.

ProMotion would be huge. That along with AR would make for some amazing experiences.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #1699
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hah!

Ostensibly, the phone doesn't actually store your finger print, like how websites don't store your password (or aren't supposed to). What they do is when you train the phone, it reads the data from the sensor (your fingerprint) and then passes that through a one way algorithm called a hash. Hashes are cryptographic in nature, so they have all the benefits of cryptography, but they're also one way, so you can't work backwards from a hash to derive the original data (which is different than encryption, which the information encrypted can be unencrypted and read).

Then when you want to unlock the phone, it reads the data from the sensor again, passes this new info through the same hash, and if the values match, you're authenticated.

So in principle they shouldn't have your fingerprints.

But there are some risks.

First, you're basically trusting Apple that they've implemented the system in the way they claim. They could say they use a one way hash, but could put some code in to send a copy of your fingerprint to Apple anyway. And since Apple's systems are closed, it's not like security experts could go through Apple's code to verify. If Apple did do such a thing people probably would still clue into it, and Apple would be ruined if it ever came out, so the risk of this is probably low.

Second, there's been lots of talk about Apple and other big tech companies and their involvement with the NSA. If Apple is aware of and disclosed or was even forced to introduce security vulnerabilities which then allowed the NSA to compromise the system the NSA might have your fingerprint and any other info passing through your phone. And I don't know if there's a good way to evaluate that risk.

EDIT: And vulnerabilities that can be exploited by governments can also be exploited by bad actors, criminals, etc
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #1700
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I want to try and sell my old Iphone 4 8GB. It's about 4 years old in pretty good condition and was with Rogers. I'm just looking for suggestions as to what I should list it for. I don't want to ask more than what it's worth but I also don't want to rip myself off.

Thanks in advance
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote