Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #221
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well yeah I looked it up on Shaw's site. Faq says it is completely unavailable outside of Canada and doesn't really list what channels are available everywhere. Lists the usual ones that seem to be available Canada wide, sports channels or Canadian tv.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #222
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bell has something similar, but it was glitchy as ####, rarely worked for me. I was never able to watch hockey games when I was out because the channels were blacked out, despite having subscribed to them at home.

Deleted the app, bought NHL Gamecentre and never looked back. Hopefully Shaw is better.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #223
GWSurvey
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well yeah I looked it up on Shaw's site. Faq says it is completely unavailable outside of Canada and doesn't really list what channels are available everywhere. Lists the usual ones that seem to be available Canada wide, sports channels or Canadian tv.

Here is some Information on freerange. It is ran using the X1 platform from Comcast, and later this year shaw will be launching the Set top box for X1. This whole framework is extraordinary, check out videos online about that.

Back to freerange, it allows over 80+ channels in and outside the home, but limited to Canada only. It also integrates VOD allowing you to watch subscription based VOD. Examples are broadcaster Content from global, ctv, City tv, or other networks like Hbo, the movie network etc.

It allows you to stream shomi and crave assets, the only app in Canada that allows Federated searches, steaming from those subscriptions. No need to switch to a shomi or crave app as the assets are in freerange.

It also supports downloading kids shows and movies. Once downloaded you don't need to be connected to the Internet and you can leave Canada and still be able to watch what was download.

It really is a sweet app once you experience it.

It is also available on the web through https://freerange.shaw.ca

Last edited by GWSurvey; 07-22-2016 at 12:46 AM.
GWSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #224
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used FreeRange when I was in Rome to watch the 2016 NHL PlayOffs. Using PIA.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #225
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Put me down for a wait and see on X1. After getting promised DLNA on the Gateway and other features that never happened, I won't be throwing down $800 on equipment with Shaw unless it comes with proven promises. Absolutely not got to buy anything based on promises from them again, so we'll see.

I like that they are giving a discount on Internet for 2 years, but I won't be committing myself any further past that 2 year window. I feel Shaw has been hosing me on rates way too long, and am suspicious of what my bill will look like in 2018.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #226
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSurvey View Post
Here is some Information on freerange. It is ran using the X1 platform from Comcast, and later this year shaw will be launching the Set top box for X1. This whole framework is extraordinary, check out videos online about that.

Back to freerange, it allows over 80+ channels in and outside the home, but limited to Canada only. It also integrates VOD allowing you to watch subscription based VOD. Examples are broadcaster Content from global, ctv, City tv, or other networks like Hbo, the movie network etc.

It allows you to stream shomi and crave assets, the only app in Canada that allows Federated searches, steaming from those subscriptions. No need to switch to a shomi or crave app as the assets are in freerange.

It also supports downloading kids shows and movies. Once downloaded you don't need to be connected to the Internet and you can leave Canada and still be able to watch what was download.

It really is a sweet app once you experience it.

It is also available on the web through https://freerange.shaw.ca
Again, appreciate the reply, but I read all that on the shaw site and it sounds pretty much the same as the Telus app. Not enough uniqueness to justify switching at present.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #227
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, appreciate the reply, but I read all that on the shaw site and it sounds pretty much the same as the Telus app. Not enough uniqueness to justify switching at present.
You're right it does look similar to the Telus app. I don't think anyone used it as a reason to switch though. Moreso the $50 for 12months 150mb. (If you don't have that through telus) the freerange app, like shaw go wifi is just a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaffobohs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #228
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post
You're right it does look similar to the Telus app. I don't think anyone used it as a reason to switch though. Moreso the $50 for 12months 150mb. (If you don't have that through telus) the freerange app, like shaw go wifi is just a bonus.

ShawGo wifi is great, I save so much on data throughout the city.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #229
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post

And to be clear Telus does offer 150 in my area so I'm trying to see if Shaw's whole package is superior. Free range does sound like it may be better but not totally superior.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #230
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
And to be clear Telus does offer 150 in my area so I'm trying to see if Shaw's whole package is superior. Free range does sound like it may be better but not totally superior.
If you can get 150 then they should match the deal and no need to switch. I was already maxed out with my 50mb so I made the switch. If they had 150 available to me and matched I would have stayed with them.

gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #231
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shaw Go Wifi has much more coverage throughout the entire city with businesses than Telus does. A lot of businesses will have it and coverage in most malls is great. Lots of data savings there on your cell phone bill

Freerange TV is fantastic, go anywhere and you can watch the channels you are subscribed to. One of the less used/known features is the VOD service that allows you to watch movies and TV shows from your channel subscription. If you have HBO, the a good chunk of the HBO content is there including Game of Thrones, the new Vice Principles, etc. This is also accessible by PC (freerange.shaw.ca) and there are apps for it in the respective stores.

No overage fees is another big one. You get a warning if you go over several months then they start slowing down your downloads once you go over your cap.

That's all I can think of for pros for Shaw.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #232
GWSurvey
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Shaw Go Wifi has much more coverage throughout the entire city with businesses than Telus does. A lot of businesses will have it and coverage in most malls is great. Lots of data savings there on your cell phone bill

Freerange TV is fantastic, go anywhere and you can watch the channels you are subscribed to. One of the less used/known features is the VOD service that allows you to watch movies and TV shows from your channel subscription. If you have HBO, the a good chunk of the HBO content is there including Game of Thrones, the new Vice Principles, etc. This is also accessible by PC (freerange.shaw.ca) and there are apps for it in the respective stores.

No overage fees is another big one. You get a warning if you go over several months then they start slowing down your downloads once you go over your cap.

That's all I can think of for pros for Shaw.
Just a correction on one of your statements. They don't slow you down when you go over the cap. It continues to work at the same speed.

I've tried the Telus app at a friends house, it's #### compared to freerange. Visually more appealing, better features, and that is because it is powered by x1.

But me personally I wouldn't base my decision based on freerange.

Last edited by GWSurvey; 07-22-2016 at 09:31 AM.
GWSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #233
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I used Freerange on a web browser to watch an episode of Game of Thrones because it wasn't on their VOD service at the usual time that week. It was an extremely frustrating experience, but I reported my issues to Shaw and they gave me some VOD credit to buy a couple movie rentals, so that was nice. With time, it might be more usable - and maybe the app is better, I don't know for sure as I haven't used it.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #234
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also use The Movie Network Go to watch HBO stuff (you have to subscribe to HBO). I use the Xbox One app and it works pretty good. They had Game of Thrones usually on their within half an hour of the east coast start.

http://www.tmngo.ca/
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #235
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Called Shaw yesterday, got an appointment for today and they showed up an hour earlier than the 12-2 pm appointment. Already liking Shaw better than Telus.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #236
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Called Shaw yesterday, got an appointment for today and they showed up an hour earlier than the 12-2 pm appointment. Already liking Shaw better than Telus.
You must have called in before I talked to them. The girl I talked to yesterday around noon said the earliest they had was Tuesday.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #237
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
You must have called in before I talked to them. The girl I talked to yesterday around noon said the earliest they had was Tuesday.
depends on the area I'm sure
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #238
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it shocked me as well getting an appointment so fast but I'm not complaining! He just finished as well.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #239
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Has any current Shaw costumer tried signing up a different family member with the same address on the $50 deal?

Wonder if you can get around the "new costumer only" rule that way.

Last edited by Looch City; 07-22-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #240
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think it depends when you ask for an appointment. If you want an after work appointment I'm guessing the demand is high? If you say anytime, then they have more availability. Same as taking your car in for repairs I guess.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150