Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #2641
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The game itself was obviously a huge success for EA, but don't think it was successful overall for Microsoft. The week that game launched system sales barely pushed over the threshold the PS4 sales have been averaging so far, and came up short of what the PS4 sold a week later when they launched their major exclusive.

Not at all a stretch to say it didn't push systems like they had hoped, had it pushed systems and been an overwhelming success they would not have dropped the system $50 a week after the games launch, only a month after also bundling in the game with the system.

Good game but not the great equalizer Microsoft hoped it would be.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #2642
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a marathon not a sprint people. These present numbers don't mean anything and there's actually been a lot of worry with all the cutbacks and layoffs with sony games studios with a bunch of games cancelled and defections from Naughty Dog of the Uncharted original writer/director as well as the director of the yet to be released Uncharted 4 both leaving the company. Also concerns about lack of exclusive games are starting to surface as there's nothing on the horizon for a long time. Don't count your chickens before they hatch as this thing is just getting started.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #2643
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Second Son's first week sales were more than the first week of the previous two games in the series combined. It's not a huge mega hyped up game or super popular series. Sony wasn't banking the success of the console on it (and yet still got a boost from it). To even be comparable to Microsoft's crown jewel, the new exclusive multiplayer masterpiece from the makers of Call of Duty, is quite an accomplishment.

It's not as simple as just 'x game sold more copies than x game so it's a bigger success'.
You're comparing an established IP against a brand new one. Sequels almost always make more money then a brand new IP... that's why you see so many damn sequels and not new IPs from big name publishers.

I also doubt Microsoft is banking their system on Titanfall. I imagine sales will go through the roof once they drop the next Halo.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 04-02-2014 at 08:05 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #2644
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It's not as simple as just 'x game sold more copies than x game so it's a bigger success'.
That's not what was said. What was said was "First week sales of Titanfall trounced Second Son as expected". That's it. First week sales. And indeed they were significantly higher. No one said "Titanfall is a bigger success than Second Son because of first week sales".

You'd be great at winning debates if you were allowed to bring a sock puppet to act as your opposition, what with your ability to put words in people's mouths and all.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #2645
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a marathon not a sprint people. These present numbers don't mean anything and there's actually been a lot of worry with all the cutbacks and layoffs with sony games studios with a bunch of games cancelled and defections from Naughty Dog of the Uncharted original writer/director as well as the director of the yet to be released Uncharted 4 both leaving the company. Also concerns about lack of exclusive games are starting to surface as there's nothing on the horizon for a long time. Don't count your chickens before they hatch as this thing is just getting started.
present numbers mean something, xboxone is giving away their best game with the system, have more consoles available and is still being outsold

things can change for sure but with the power advantage (dont even try and deny it) multiplats are going to have an advantage on the PS4 so Xbox really needs to clean up on exclusives...that remains to be seen
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #2646
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does there have to be a "winner"? Can't the Xbox be a success even if PS4 outsells it? Seems to me they were both successful and both viable options last generation. No reason they can't both offer tremendous value to their current and prospective customer base.

I've never understood this, seems to be a huge issue this generation. Are people this passionate about Coke vs Pepsi sales numbers?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #2647
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ford vs. Chevy, Apple vs. Android, Xbox vs. Playstation. All equally stupid debates. It's sad that people have to feel that if someone else prefers a competing product, then it must be a challenge of their own manhood.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #2648
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I've never understood this, seems to be a huge issue this generation.
Forgot the last generation? It was pretty bad then too.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #2649
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Why does there have to be a "winner"? Can't the Xbox be a success even if PS4 outsells it? Seems to me they were both successful and both viable options last generation. No reason they can't both offer tremendous value to their current and prospective customer base.

I've never understood this, seems to be a huge issue this generation. Are people this passionate about Coke vs Pepsi sales numbers?
Because people feel the need to justify their purchases. It's easy for someone to say they made the right choice by pointing at the competitor and saying everything they do sucks.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #2650
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

curious if we've heard what any sports game rumours for the 2nd year of next gen, and what "umph" factors might be added with another year of next gen development...

Anyone heard anything interesting?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #2651
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And let's be honest here, we've all done it at some point. I know I used to be like that, but have since grown up. It's that feeling of dropping money on something and believing it's "the best."

When you make a decision, you want to feel like you made the best decision possible. Most people (especially as they move out of their teens and early twenties) start to get pretty comfortable with whatever they have, regardless of anything else on the market. The whole "This is the best, and the competition is stupid" thing is just a very young man's game for the most part. We've all done it at some point, so I'm never really shocked at the debates that revolve around PS4/Xbox, Apple/Android, Dora the Explorer/Caillou, etc.

That said, PS4 is way better and XBOX IS STUPID. Represent!
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #2652
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC:...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
curious if we've heard what any sports game rumours for the 2nd year of next gen, and what "umph" factors might be added with another year of next gen development...

Anyone heard anything interesting?

The only thing I've heard thus far is that F1 2014 is confirmed for the next gen, and that NHL 15 will have details released at E3 (early June) and will likely utilise the Ignite Engine (which is incredible in FIFA 14).
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #2653
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
And let's be honest here, we've all done it at some point. I know I used to be like that, but have since grown up. It's that feeling of dropping money on something and believing it's "the best."

When you make a decision, you want to feel like you made the best decision possible. Most people (especially as they move out of their teens and early twenties) start to get pretty comfortable with whatever they have, regardless of anything else on the market. The whole "This is the best, and the competition is stupid" thing is just a very young man's game for the most part. We've all done it at some point, so I'm never really shocked at the debates that revolve around PS4/Xbox, Apple/Android, Dora the Explorer/Caillou, etc.

That said, PS4 is way better and XBOX IS STUPID. Represent!
Exactly. It just comes off as extremely childish.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #2654
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uncharted: Star Wars Edition?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/0...r-wars-project
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #2655
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yes. YES.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #2656
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice to have a really good Star Wars game come out. It's been a while!
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #2657
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I thought that was what Star Wars 1313 was supposed to be...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #2658
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe some of you who are crying about the nature of the discussion here didn't read the title of the thread...its just a debate, like anything else

I own all systems but I can prefer one over another...and it even changes over time

why do people argue about chev, ford, imports? sports teams, tv shows, movies, music??

its pretty much why message boards exist, don't come in to a thread named "XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME" and be surprised when people have strong opinions on which is better
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #2659
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post

First week sales of Titanfall trounced Second Son as expected

Also to bring up another interesting point: the site that lists those numbers (http://www.vgchartz.com) shows those Titanfall numbers as for the week ending March 15th, after 5 days on sale since its release on March 11th.

The Infamous sales numbers are for the week ending March 22nd -- just two days of being on sale since its release on March 21st.

So Titanfall = 900,000 in 5 days, Infamous = 700,000 in 2 days. Who trounced who, again?
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #2660
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sales for InFamous: Second Son between March 21st (Release Date) and March 28th were over 1 Million.

Quote:
PAL - Infamous : Second Son sold 400,000 copies at retail across PAL and around ~50,000 across Asia , with around 90,000 units sold across UK (includes bundles)
North America - Infamous : Second Son sold over 450,000 copies at retail
Digital - Around 150,000 copies of Infamous : Second Son were sold digitally. Split across different regions is unknown.
So the 7 day sales of Infamous is in the area of 1.14 Million Copies. Which just barely surpases the 11 day sales numbers of Titanfall.

Links:
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41721/Global/
http://insiderp.com/ps4-reaches-7-mi...-1million.html