Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #581
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If you're a power user (or a big nerd like me) then the Google TV is the better choice, especially because you can sideload APKs.

But for my 67 year old mother-in-law who wants to watch tennis, Netflix, and Disney+, the Roku makes it dead simple, even down to the remote literally having a 'Netflix' and 'Disney+' button on it.
Google TV also lets you install a VPN client directly through the play store, which is awesome for using NHL Gamecenter to watch Flames games instead of relying on the terrible Sportsnet app
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #582
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Google TV also lets you install a VPN client directly through the play store, which is awesome for using NHL Gamecenter to watch Flames games instead of relying on the terrible Sportsnet app
Very much agree. Having tried LG, Samsung & Sony TVs I have to say Sony has had the best smart system/menus for my tastes. It actually runs just as good as my shield pro (newest version) and has almost made that device obsolete.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:06 PM   #583
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Holy #### this thing is gorgeous... I literally spent an hour last night watching HDR videos on YouTube. You'd think slow motion honey dripping off a spoon would be boring, but apparently not.

It's just so god damn PRETTY!!!! The only complaint I have is with the credit card bill.
I too have joined the LG OLED C1 mafia. 65 “ of magnificent glory that gets delivered tomorrow when I start a 3 day business trip… grrr.
Can’t wait.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 08:02 PM   #584
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What your thoughts on this tv?

https://www.costco.ca/hisense-85-in....100785512.html

Is it comparable to the 75” TCL?

I’ve had 2 TCLs and I like em, but I think I want a big honker for my bonus room and unfortunately TCL maxes out at 75”.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #585
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What your thoughts on this tv?

https://www.costco.ca/hisense-85-in....100785512.html

Is it comparable to the 75” TCL?

I’ve had 2 TCLs and I like em, but I think I want a big honker for my bonus room and unfortunately TCL maxes out at 75”.
It depends what you’re using it for. This review would rule it out for movie watching for me.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/a6g
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #586
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I started this in 2018 and the Vizio I bought slowly started getting darker over the last year. After opening it up it was a bunch if the LED's burning out which apparently is common for these TV's. The repair kit would end up being $200 and no guarantee it would work after I put it all back together so decided to just scrap it. Pulled an old TV out of the basement and I thought going from a 70" to a 42" would be crazy and yeah it looks silly sitting in the place the 70" sat but when I start watching something I find I just focus on the TV anyway so size isn't making a huge difference.

The best I got out of it was pulling the dad joke during dinner. "I think after dinner i'm going to go upstairs and watch a little TV"

Anyway my TV journey starts again and I have no idea which route I want to take, maybe just pull the CRT out of the basement as that thing will last forever.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #587
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It depends what you’re using it for. This review would rule it out for movie watching for me.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/a6g
Yikes, not good.

Maybe I sacrifice the 10" and get a 75" TCL.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #588
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about this bad boy? On rtings, has a decent rating for gaming and I plan on using this TV with a PS5 (if I ever get one).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...p=seo-15453584
Old 04-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #589
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about this bad boy? On rtings, has a decent rating for gaming and I plan on using this TV with a PS5 (if I ever get one).

For the $3000+ price point, why not consider a high end ultra short throw projector set up and have something bigger than 85" (ie: 100"+)?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #590
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

85" is kinda the limit for me. I think 100" would not look good in my space (it would fit, but look silly IMO).

I might consider the projector for the basement one day when I develop it into a man cave
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #591
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yikes, not good.

Maybe I sacrifice the 10" and get a 75" TCL.
I'd read through this thread back a few pages before looking at TCL (I assume this is the model you're looking at)

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/202...11348/page-277

When this TV works, it's awesome. Great bang for the buck but man is it possessed at times. Firmware was so bad for a while that it was pulled from the shelves by BB until they released an update.

Update solved the issues at the time but more cropped up. Another update was to come out recently but it's been delayed twice now.

That being said, looking into an issue I was having with my TCL I started reading threads on other TV's and it seems as though there is no such thing as a TV without some kind of issue. But I guess that comes down to the individual. I think that forum may be full of power users that will complain about anything.

I'm certainly not. I just want a TV that works reliably and as advertised. Possible this next firmware update may solve my particular issue and it could be a great TV but IMO, it should have been that way out of the box.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:25 PM   #592
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

That would be my recommendation if you don't want to go all out with an 83" OLED, Google TV is fantastic on the Sony sets and performs way better than the Hisense units since the processor is much more powerful
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #593
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. Bought the Sony from Visions.

Figured may as well support a Canadian company since they had the same price as BB. Plus they give you a bit of a kicker in the form of gift card if you select store pick up.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #594
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Um, so yeah. 85" TVs are quite beastly turns out.

Recommendation for a TV mount? Lol.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #595
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monoprice.com has a good selection of mounts. If you go to their webpage and click on TV mounts, they'll walk you through a few questions that should display a number of mounts that will work no problem.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #596
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got a SANUS BLF328 mount for my 75 inch TV (https://www.sanus.com/en_CA/products/tv-mounts/blf328/) and have really enjoyed it. It's sturdy and has a great range of motion - without it, I'd have a hell of a time getting behind my TV to swap inputs.

I paid $200 for mine (negotiated with best buy when I got my TV), but it's a whopping $440 now!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #597
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have this exact TV I bought during Boxing week. Love it. The smart apps ( currently have Google, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Youtube, and VLC player) are top notch. In fact, I'd say they perform better than the Chromecast and Firestick that I have.

Only minor gripe I have with it is it can get a bit too reflective if you have a bright light source. I tend to watch it with a soft LED lamp, so I'm ok. But I do notice the glare during the day if I have my blinds opened.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #598
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any projector recommendations? And Frame TV type recommendations? I like the idea behind the Samsung Frame TV's but have heard they're absolutely terrible for watching at any sort of angle.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #599
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I still don't have a ps5, but I played Ghost of Tsushima on ps4 on my new 85" TV and all I can say is OMFG.

The thing takes up a lot of real estate in the room lol, but it's worth it. When I first got it I spent about 2 hours watching 4k video of oceans and wildlife and I was in love.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #600
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wanted to give a shoutout to this thread. I was looking at a new tv for my bedroom and relied on a lot of the information in here to make a choice.

i ended up going over my budget for the LG OLED A1 (48"). I am not entirely sure how it will look and may return if it is too big. It's a shame most tvs jump from 43" to 50"
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote