Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #3061
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
You really want to have a goaltender on a $9M contract who will turn 40 in the final year of the contract? Kipper declined considerably in the last 2 years of his contract, after he turned 36. And goaltenders tend to fall off a cliff when they begin that inevitable decline.
Price will turn 38yo, 1 month before training camp in the final season of his contract. I also think Price is a generational goaltender, and so I'd be willing to suffer on the last couple seasons if it meant having a Cup contender for the other 6.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #3062
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Of course eventually goalies will make 10mil.

What’s the effect today by adding that to the Flames?

Are you able to resign Tkchuk long term?
Probably not the way our team is set up. Our structure is not designed to take on that kind of goalie contract and sign Tkachuk for 8. Could you bridge Tkachuk and sign him long term when Gio’s contract is up? Absolutely.

It’s definitely possible to fit Price into our window without losing a core piece. Especially at a retained salary. Should we? I’m not sure. It’s a long commitment, but it does shore up the position for the entire window and get us out of the constant cycle of stop gaps while we hope someone emerges from the system.

My main point though was just that you can absolutely win with a $10 mil player, that player being a goalie is irrelevant, so long as you don’t have $10 mil forwards or defencemen to deal with.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #3063
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Price will turn 38yo, 1 month before training camp in the final season of his contract. I also think Price is a generational goaltender, and so I'd be willing to suffer on the last couple seasons if it meant having a Cup contender for the other 6.
Oops, I assumed that his "39 year old season" meant he would start that year at age 39, but didn't actually check his date of birth.

Still, Kiprusoff declined significantly in the 2011-2012 season, and he was 35 at the start of that season, so you are banking on getting more than additional 2 years out of Price. In addition, Kiprusoff was a late bloomer, so you could argue that he had relatively low mileage for his age. Finally, I don't think Montreal will be inclined to eat any salary, so you are probably looking at $10.5M, which means that a core player will have to be traded.

Edit: Kipper started to decline in the 2010-11 season, but had a bit of a comeback in the 2011-12 season., before getting missing a lot of time and falling off a cliff the next year.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-30-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #3064
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Stone for Craig Anderson makes too much sense for both teams.

Flames need an insurance policy with Smith. I know Anderson is old too but what are the chances both of them break down? And if they do, then it's Gillies' time, which is no different than the current situation.

Stone appeals to Ottawa for obvious reasons if they really want to re-sign his brother.

The money and term close to wash out, maybe the Flames send Rittich too and get a pick or junior prospect back to balance the money out and goalie situation on the other end.

Also gives the Flames more time to develop Gillies and Parsons, but not so much to block them.

Flames still have Valimaki, Kulak, Kylington on the left side for the 3 left spot. Not to mention the PTO's vets in Stockton like Siemens and Falk.

And Anderson, Prout for the right side.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #3065
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If there’s one thing we don’t need to see again for a few years, it’s trading for a goalie over 35.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #3066
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think Stone for Craig Anderson makes too much sense for both teams.

Flames need an insurance policy with Smith. I know Anderson is old too but what are the chances both of them break down? And if they do, then it's Gillies' time, which is no different than the current situation.

Stone appeals to Ottawa for obvious reasons if they really want to re-sign his brother.

The money and term close to wash out, maybe the Flames send Rittich too and get a pick or junior prospect back to balance the money out and goalie situation on the other end.

Also gives the Flames more time to develop Gillies and Parsons, but not so much to block them.

Flames still have Valimaki, Kulak, Kylington on the left side for the 3 left spot. Not to mention the PTO's vets in Stockton like Siemens and Falk.

And Anderson, Prout for the right side.

Stone has a modified NTC remember, and i can see where he says "not a chance" to playing in the dumpster fire that is Ottawa.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #3067
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If there’s one thing we don’t need to see again for a few years, it’s trading for a goalie over 35.
Then be prepared to give up a 1st round pick or a Bennett or Jankowski for a good young starter,

Problem is, I’m not sure there is a good young starter available. In recent years we’ve seen all the good young goalies traded to new teams already. Saros is the only one left I think and the Preds won’t let him go with Rinne UFA soon.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #3068
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oops, I assumed that his "39 year old season" meant he would start that year at age 39, but didn't actually check his date of birth.

Still, Kiprusoff declined significantly in the 2011-2012 season, and he was 35 at the start of that season, so you are banking on getting more than additional 2 years out of Price. In addition, Kiprusoff was a late bloomer, so you could argue that he had relatively low mileage for his age. Finally, I don't think Montreal will be inclined to eat any salary, so you are probably looking at $10.5M, which means that a core player will have to be traded.

Edit: Kipper started to decline in the 2010-11 season, but had a bit of a comeback in the 2011-12 season., before getting missing a lot of time and falling off a cliff the next year.
Kipper was notoriously bad at maintaining himself physically. I'm not sure he's the bar you want to use to compare goalies.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #3069
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It bothers me that Raanta was available a couple of times and we acquired Mike Smith instead. I don't know if we tried or not, but it feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Smith was good up until his injury last season, but it was known that he was injury prone and aging, and relatively expensive.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #3070
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You really want to have a goaltender on a $9M contract who will turn 40 in the final year of the contract? Kipper declined considerably in the last 2 years of his contract, after he turned 35 (he retired early and didn't play the final year of that contract). And goaltenders tend to fall off a cliff when they begin that inevitable decline.
Kipper's last full season, he played 70 games, 2.35 GAA and .921 save percentage.

The year after, there was a lockout, an injury, Bob Hartley, a bad roster, an Iginla trade, and even then the Maple Leafs would have taken him at the deadline in a heartbeat - Miikka declined the trade.

Guy was 35, his next year was going to be $1M and his team was about to go into a rebuild. Let no one say Kiprusoff never knew when to leave a party.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #3071
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Kipper was notoriously bad at maintaining himself physically. I'm not sure he's the bar you want to use to compare goalies.
Not sure if intentional, but definitely true
Old 09-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #3072
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Didn’t he spend something like 6 hours a day stretching?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #3073
BigSmoke
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
But has Price played like a generational goalie anytime recently?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #3074
BigSmoke
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I don’t think it’s a bad idea for the Leafs. Pesce is a righty who makes $1.3 mil less than Slavin on a long term deal. I also think the Leafs could use Horton in deal which would allow the Canes to meet minimum cap without spending money to get there. Canes add a 2nd Leafs should consider it
Horton's deal was not insured, so Leafs are paying every cent. That's why Arizona will never want any part of that LTIR contract.

That was an insanely bad signing by a small market team to not have a player insured (Colombus).
Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #3075
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kipper didn't need to maintain himself. He had a god given gift to get in front of pucks.

27 year old kipper would make this team cup favorites. He was that good.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #3076
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Stretching his arms to light another cigarette
Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #3077
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Kipper must've been in the top 1% most flexible humans, so he had to be doing something to keep limber
Old 09-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #3078
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I for one hope that we soon make a move to address the goal tending situation long term. It's the one that has plagued this team the longest and I think we're all getting tired of seeing stop gaps and bandaids. Make a big move for someone like bobrovsky or price or take a gamble on someone like korpisalo, but do something definitive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #3079
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah, his commitment at the rink was legendary, his lack of commitment away from the rink was also legendary.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #3080
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad rinne isnt a few years older cause i think Saros would be a good target.
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread