Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #1901
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Portzline had some interesting notes at the end of his segment on this the other day. Panarin literally grew up with nothing. Equipment from the lost and found, parents gone at a young age, the whole 9 yards. And Portzline suggested that because of this, he's a guy that wants his stuff. He wants the big city life and fancy things because he never had them.

Speculative obviously, but interesting.
I heard this interview as well. Panarin will go for the money and big city lifestyle which eliminates Calgary. I don't remember Portzline saying that about Bobrovsky. Hopefully one of the Flames goalie prospects can really step up this year not sure Calgary could afford Bob.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #1902
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
This is something the Flames should look at:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ock/768163002/
The Red Wings and Athanasiou had a very difficult contract negotiation last time this wouldn't shock me either. He has good speed and is now making $3 million per year count me as interested in obtaining him.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #1903
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that depth hurts, and he's obviously a good young player, but seems to be a log jam up front already in acquiring Athanasiou. And with left wing especially as Gaudreau and Tkachuk (if staying on that side) it's not a huge concern.

I see 10 NHL locks in Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Neal, Lindholm, Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski, Bennett, Ryan.

Then Brouwer, Czarnik, Lazar, and friends fighting for those last spots on the fourth line.

Defense after Giordano, Hanifin, Hamonic, Brodie, Stone actually has some NHL holes if none of the young guys jump up (not a huge fan of Kulak).

So moving a defense prospect for him doesn't quite make sense in my opinion. At least the defense prospects that Detroit would want.

Unless the deal ends up being centered around Bennett and Athanasiou...Natural left winger for a suppose-to-be-center who's logjammed behind Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm, Jankowski, Ryan
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #1904
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
This is something the Flames should look at:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ock/768163002/

I had mentioned Athanasiou a few weeks ago as someone I thought the flames should target but I was not sure if the red wings would have any appetite to trade him. He’s easily one of the top 5 fastest skaters in the NHL and I believe is poised for a breakout season. He always seems to be on highlight reels creating chances with his speed similar to how Byron would. He has a better shot than Byron as well but is less of a spark plug.

I would definitely pursue a trade for this guy. His speed and hands are great and he’s improved over the years. I think he could be a great depth addition and could even move up into the top two lines. He’s wicked fast. McDavid is the only other player that beats him in top speed and acceleration in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #1905
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also like athansiou, but as others have pointed out we now have a lot of forwards on the roster, and unless we're ok with him displacing Bennett (I am, i don't see it anymore with him but I know people are still holding out a lot of hope) he just doesn't really have a spot on this team. Without athansiou it already looks like our forward core is stacked- pushing janko to the 4th C position (or at best 3LW, but then we're paying D.Ryan a lot to be a 4th line c).

My prefered move would still be to try and package Janko +Brodie (or bennett and brodie depending on the player) for a RHD of note. I don't think Brodie is going to "regain his form".
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #1906
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can move out Brouwer at $4.5 million either in a buyout or a trade with salary retained saving $3 million and Frolik's $4.3 million cap hit can get traded out of here too. That is $7.3 million in possible savings may have to take a contract back for Frolik I don't know. With Lindholm, Hanifin and the other RFA's still to sign might have to move out those two guys anyway to make it all fit. Like Frolik but he can be replaced he doesn't live up to his contract.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #1907
Knut

Exp:

While Anthansiou has highlight reel goals and lots of speed he is kind of like Grabner in that he creates his own offence, but doesn't necessarily work that well with others.

Putting him in your top 6 may actually limit their offense and putting him in your bottom six is perhaps a defensive liability. You also seem to be paying him for the highlight reel and not actual on ice contribution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #1908
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
While Anthansiou has highlight reel goals and lots of speed he is kind of like Grabner in that he creates his own offence, but doesn't necessarily work that well with others.

Putting him in your top 6 may actually limit their offense and putting him in your bottom six is perhaps a defensive liability. You also seem to be paying him for the highlight reel and not actual on ice contribution.

This could be true. I don’t know the player that well... only what I see on highlights and stats sheets. And if Detroit is willing to let him go it might also be an indication that he has some big holes in his game.

However, I think lots of teams - including the flames - are looking for that guy who is poised to break out offensively. It’s the William Karlsson effect this off-season. I don’t think Anthansiou will reach 40 goals this year like Karlsson but I do think he is a player that has the ability to contribute more.

I would still use the Byron example. So many people got frustrated with Byron while he was with the flames because he would seemingly average at least one breakaway per game but couldn’t score on them. Then the flames lost him and he broke out offensively and started capitalizing on his chances. I was always happy to have a bottom six player like Byron that created a few prime scoring chances every game on his own with his speed even if he didn’t capitalize on them... it’s better than the 3rd/4th lines that followed after he left where it seems like all they can do is dump the puck in and dump the puck out.

I see similar potential in anthansiou. His kind of speed can make defenders nervous - similar to how the flames defence seems nervous when playing McDavid... obviously they aren’t anywhere close to the same player but having players with elite foot speed is an asset. I wouldn’t say the flames have added a lot of that to the forward group this offseason so far.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #1909
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
This could be true. I don’t know the player that well... only what I see on highlights and stats sheets. And if Detroit is willing to let him go it might also be an indication that he has some big holes in his game.

However, I think lots of teams - including the flames - are looking for that guy who is poised to break out offensively. It’s the William Karlsson effect this off-season. I don’t think Anthansiou will reach 40 goals this year like Karlsson but I do think he is a player that has the ability to contribute more.

I would still use the Byron example. So many people got frustrated with Byron while he was with the flames because he would seemingly average at least one breakaway per game but couldn’t score on them. Then the flames lost him and he broke out offensively and started capitalizing on his chances. I was always happy to have a bottom six player like Byron that created a few prime scoring chances every game on his own with his speed even if he didn’t capitalize on them... it’s better than the 3rd/4th lines that followed after he left where it seems like all they can do is dump the puck in and dump the puck out.

I see similar potential in anthansiou. His kind of speed can make defenders nervous - similar to how the flames defence seems nervous when playing McDavid... obviously they aren’t anywhere close to the same player but having players with elite foot speed is an asset. I wouldn’t say the flames have added a lot of that to the forward group this offseason so far.

Detroit played him nearly 60% of the time in the OZ and he did not really improve much offensively last season. You basically have to slot him in a top 6 role to put up 35+ points and they obviously did not trust him defensively.

Willia Karlsson was largely getting DF Zone starts (60% DZ starts) in the previous few years in Columbus and was pretty much 50-50 DZ/OZ last year in Vegas.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #1910
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still miss Byron
Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #1911
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I still miss Byron
Me too. He'd be the perfect LW/RW fit in a line with Frolik and Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #1912
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
but having players with elite foot speed is an asset. I wouldn’t say the flames have added a lot of that to the forward group this offseason so far.

Czarnik is a burner:

https://twitter.com/user/status/783474273876836353
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #1913
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Detroit played him nearly 60% of the time in the OZ and he did not really improve much offensively last season. You basically have to slot him in a top 6 role to put up 35+ points and they obviously did not trust him defensively.

Willia Karlsson was largely getting DF Zone starts (60% DZ starts) in the previous few years in Columbus and was pretty much 50-50 DZ/OZ last year in Vegas.

I definitely don’t think he’ll be producing like Karlsson did for Vegas. I still think of him as a depth player with the potential to improve more if he plays with guys like tkachuk or gaudreau. I don’t think Detroit has any players like them to complement his speed. Or the puck-moving defencemen that are even more valuable to a high-speed forward.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #1914
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely don’t think he’ll be producing like Karlsson did for Vegas. I still think of him as a depth player with the potential to improve more if he plays with guys like tkachuk or gaudreau. I don’t think Detroit has any players like them to complement his speed. Or the puck-moving defencemen that are even more valuable to a high-speed forward.

He is kind of a one man show offensively. I think he would take the puck away from Gaudreau too much to make an effective line
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #1915
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post

Looks like he’ll definitely be an improvement for team speed and I’m glad Treliving signed him. I don’t think you can ever have enough guys who win puck races in today’s game. That’s why I like having guys like athanasiou or Byron in the line up. Top-tier speed in the NHL.

The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #1916
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames haven't improved team speed?

Out: Ferland, Stajan, Versteeg and Jagr. And Brouwer and Hathaway get pushed down and possibly out

In: Lindholm, Neal, Ryan and Czarnik. And maybe Mangiapane or Dube cracks the lineup.

I would say that is a pretty decent improvement in overall team speed. Keep in mind too, Peters will coach a much more up tempo style than the plodding 5-man unit style Gulutzan deployed.

Team speed will not be an issue this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #1917
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Flames haven't improved team speed?

Out: Ferland, Stajan, Versteeg and Jagr. And Brouwer and Hathaway get pushed down and possibly out

In: Lindholm, Neal, Ryan and Czarnik. And maybe Mangiapane or Dube cracks the lineup.

I would say that is a pretty decent improvement in overall team speed. Keep in mind too, Peters will coach a much more up tempo style than the plodding 5-man unit style Gulutzan deployed.

Team speed will not be an issue this year.

I agree. It is a good improvement in overall team speed for sure. I’m more specifically looking for those guys with elite high end speed. I always liked having that rare skill on the team with guys like fleury, Lombardi, Byron.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #1918
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know where another forward would fit.

RW: Neal, Lindholm, Ryan, Czarnik, Brouwer, Foo, Hathaway, Lazar
C: Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski, Quine, Dube
LW: Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Frolik, Bennett, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk

You can shuffle a few of those guys between positions which gives you some flexibility, but even with that we are full and then some. Keep in mind that a number of our depth forwards are waiver eligible (Klimchuk, Czarnik, Quine, etc) so putting them in the A is a risk.

If anything the Flames should be trading a forward or two to improve defensive depth or add some insurance in net. I guess we could look at a forward for forward swap, but I don't see any scenarios Detroit would be interested in that make us better.

Last edited by kehatch; 07-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #1919
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We definitely improved team speed! Also get over Byron for crying out loud it’s over he’s gone and he’s not coming back.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #1920
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
We definitely improved team speed! Also get over Byron for crying out loud it’s over he’s gone and he’s not coming back.
You don't know that!
Closed Thread