Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2023, 10:36 AM   #2081
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The blonde with the red lightsaber could be Mara Jade, or an equivalent to Mara if they want to avoid the issue of Mara and Luke's relationship from the EU since it appears they'll be telling the Heir to the Empire story but with the Rebels/Mando characters rather than the OT characters.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:43 AM   #2082
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That...looks incredible. Do we know who wrote/directed it and whether they have recent Trilogy stench upon them?

Although Ahsoka annoys me.

"Oh no...Thrawn is coming and he's going to rebuild the Empire!!"

Hey Ahsoka...um, you know, when the Empire was around last time with the Emperor and stuff...what exactly were you doing?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:54 AM   #2083
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
3 new movies announced, including one where Rey founds a new Jedi Academy to reestablish a new Jedi Order.
Interesting that the Rey film will be set 15 years after Episode 9.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #2084
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That...looks incredible. Do we know who wrote/directed it and whether they have recent Trilogy stench upon them?
It's all Filoni. Anything Ahsoka related is his baby.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #2085
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That’s a bit of a different timeline though no?
Yea got my hopes up for a second before I read all the announcement details.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:35 PM   #2086
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Daisy did what she could with the given material. I would be happy to see her again as Rey with more competent writing and direction.

Me too. She was the best part of the sequel trilogy, and I'm very much looking forward to the new film. Interesting that the director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is mostly known as a documentary filmmaker and journalist. According to her IMDB her only forays into live action fiction are two episodes of the Ms. Marvel series.

Filoni and James Mangold are directing the other two, which is fine by me.

Last edited by direwolf; 04-07-2023 at 12:37 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #2087
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Me too. She was the best part of the sequel trilogy, and I'm very much looking forward to the new film. Interesting that the director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is mostly known as a documentary filmmaker and journalist. According to her IMDB her only forays into live action fiction are two episodes of the Ms. Marvel series.

Filoni and James Mangold are directing the other two, which is fine by me.
Ah, crap. They are gonna Eternals this, aren't they.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:53 PM   #2088
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rey was awful. Straight awful.

I havent seen enough of Daisy Ridley's other work to really comment on the actress herself, but in Star Wars she was terrible.

But as an actress...again, you cant make bricks without clay. The scripts were brutal...none of the actors had much of a chance, the direction seemed indecisive and directionless.

Did any of the actors get out of that Star Wars series better than when they went in? I doubt it. Maybe Oscar Isaac? But thats more on him than anything else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #2089
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Rey was awful. Straight awful.

I havent seen enough of Daisy Ridley's other work to really comment on the actress herself, but in Star Wars she was terrible.

But as an actress...again, you cant make bricks without clay. The scripts were brutal...none of the actors had much of a chance, the direction seemed indecisive and directionless.

Did any of the actors get out of that Star Wars series better than when they went in? I doubt it. Maybe Oscar Isaac? But thats more on him than anything else.

Did any actors in any Star Wars movie, besides Harrison Ford? Maybe some of the really famous actors.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 11:46 PM   #2090
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a single actor was good in TFA or the other miserable films that followed. None. Daisy Ridley was decent in Chaos Walking
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:54 PM   #2091
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Rey movie set 15 years after TROS, I believe that puts it 50 years after ANH in the canon timeline. I bet the plan is to have it released in 2027 for the 50th Anniversary.

I wonder if they can convince John Boyega to come back. They teased that he was Force-sensitive many times, so he could be one of the new Jedi.

Also, Grogu should be ready for his teen-angst years by that time.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:05 AM   #2092
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The way they treated Boyega I doubt it. Turned what should have been an interesting and evolving character into a buffoon.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:19 AM   #2093
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Actually thought Daisy Ridley was really good in The Force Awakens.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #2094
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Daisy did what she could with the given material. I would be happy to see her again as Rey with more competent writing and direction.
Sure, as long as Kathleen Kennedy is tied up in someone's basement from production to release.

I really think they should let everything sequel trilogy related die in the sand like the lightsabers rey buried. It failed miserably, for a multitude of reasons.

Sure, explain the rise of the first order to fill in the chronology but let's leave it at that. No more.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #2095
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
3 new movies announced, including one where Rey founds a new Jedi Academy to reestablish a new Jedi Order.

https://www.polygon.com/23673145/sta...nt-celebration

There's one about the "the emergence of the Force and the first Jedi" 25,000 years before the current Star Wars time.
The emergence of the force is going to be terrible. You can’t explain where magic came from in any interesting way. That has bomb written all over it.

Just adapt the old republic video game.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:53 AM   #2096
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The emergence of the force is going to be terrible. You can’t explain where magic came from in any interesting way. That has bomb written all over it.

Just adapt the old republic video game.
Yeah I'll admit I'm a little nervous about an origins movie.

Screw up where the jedi/sith/force mythology originated and you're potentially tainting all the stuff that everybody loves, and never needed an explanation for before now. Part of what makes something magical is the mystery.

They'd better knock that out of the park if they're going to do anything at all. Like three notches above anything put out since the prequels good.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:14 AM   #2097
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1644548543724793856

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 11:36 AM   #2098
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just some thoughts

A movie about the beginnings of the Jedi and the Force. On paper its not a bad idea to explore it. However the EU made it an interesting story. The Jedi were not exactly the good guys in this, starting the first Jedi Schism and acting as religious zealots. Basically with the original story, some Jedi wanted to explore all aspects of the Force and not just the light side of the force and asked to form their own academy of study. The Jedi declared a genocidal war and pushed the heretic Jedi into unimaginable desparate acts including making monsters to defend themselves.

If they portray the Jedi as these virtuous guardians of the light and the first Dark Jedi as boiler plate evil, then its not an interesting story. There needs to be at least a shade of grey.

The one thing that you can take from the legends EU that they kind of did very well is that the Jedi who inherently misrepresented a balanced force continually caused a rise of darkness and the non force part of the galaxy suffered from it. Nearly every war in the history of the galaxy came from a battle started by Force users. And yes, the Jedi were just as obsessed with power as the Sith.

I don't know if this would be a good movie or a better ongoing series.

But you look at some of the really interesting Old Republic characters like Malgus, Revan, Bane and their Jedi oppossers there are stories to tell.

A story that talks about the rise of the First Order. I don't know how interesting it would be, because it would have to be more political then anything else and they seem to be covering that ground in the Mandolorian series. Plus we know that Snoke was merely a sock puppet, I'm not interested in more Kylo Ren story and you would literally need to bring back Luke and Leia at a minimum and its time to let those characters rest.

Having Rey come back and found a Jedi academy seems boiler plate and goes against the ending of the ST. With the Sith wiped out and their knowlege lost and the first order gone, You'd think that Rey would realize that flooding the galaxy with Jedi would cause the Dark Side to rise again. This just seems to be an uninspired idea. why not have Rey wandering the Galaxy as not a jedi and not a Sith but something that is the embodiment of the Balance of the Force.

Or it your going 15 years into the future, why not give the Force Wars a break, the legends had the Vong who were a terrify enemy.

If the ST hadn't badly bungled the descendant of Luke and Leia going to the Darkside I would argue that the Legacy of the Force story is far superior with Jacen Solo joining the Sith and falling to the dark side in an arrogant belief that his end goals were all about bringing peace and order to a chaotic galaxy.

Its time to do a trilogy, where the Force isn't the main plot device. That doesn't link directly to Luke, Leia or Palpatine for example (especially after they made Palpatine into a enormous turd in the ST).

This is a galaxy with trillions of life forms with an unlimited canvas and Disney is too afraid to explore it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:47 AM   #2099
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Ahsoka trailer is fantastic! Though I wonder who among the orange sabre users Ahsoka is going to kill first? She has a history now with beating on dark side users.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:37 PM   #2100
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was announced this morning that Lars Mikkelsen, who provided Thrawn's voice in Rebels, will also be playing Thrawn in live action.