Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2023, 10:41 PM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a guy View Post
Couple of points
I would hate to live in a world without police. Look around the world for examples of how society degenerates where there is little to no policing or totally corrupt police.

I have spoken with several police, some in my family. They deal with every situation. They don't have the option to say no. Most everyone on this board does not go into work with a reasonable likelihood that they will be in a physical fight at work.

I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between on this subject. Are there bad cops? Yes. Are they the majority? No. Does their job require physicality? Yes. The truth likely lies where you draw the line and every situation is different. It takes a judgement call that most here will never have to take.

Deal with the obviously bad ones, work with the mistakes and appreciate that someone stands up for us at any hour.

My thoughts
I was in agreeance with this post at certain points, but by the end it was too "just appreciate what they do and stop complaining when things go wrong, they'll deal with it" for me.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:43 PM   #82
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
But I will also say this, we HATE crooked cops, we HATE cops that do things to make us look bad, I can tell you that the majority of cops will say something along the lines of , “he might be a friend of mine, but he’s not worth losing my job over or if he ever puts me in a bad spot, that’s on him”.
American policing certainly doesn't follow this ideal. I understand things are different in Canada (but trending towards American Style policing way too much for my comfort over the decades).
Old 01-28-2023, 11:11 PM   #83
Just a guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I was in agreeance with this post at certain points, but by the end it was too "just appreciate what they do and stop complaining when things go wrong, they'll deal with it" for me.
Then you missed my point. I clearly stated deal with the bad ones ,work with the mistakes. How is that just appreciate what they do and stop complaining?
Just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:03 AM   #84
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
But I will also say this, we HATE crooked cops, we HATE cops that do things to make us look bad, I can tell you that the majority of cops will say something along the lines of , “he might be a friend of mine, but he’s not worth losing my job over or if he ever puts me in a bad spot, that’s on him”.
Oh yeah cause I remember them all decrying the actions of constable Plummer when he kicked the head of the handcuff suicidal man in the wheelchair.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...hair-1.6684387
Quote:
Video entered in court as an exhibit shows Plummer pushing over Lavoie, who hospital security had put in a wheelchair and handcuffed after he became combative. Plummer then stepped on his bare foot and kicked him in the face.
Oh wait, that didn't happen. He was supported by his boys in blue (and the judge who let him off easy because of a difficult divorce (Wtf?)).
Quote:
At least 15 Calgary police officers attended court to support Plummer, half a dozen of them in uniform. After court they greeted Plummer with smiles, hugs and handshakes to celebrate his non-custodial sentence.
And of course his partner did nothing at the time.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:20 AM   #85
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default US police kills twice as many people as reported

N/a

Last edited by Deviaant; 01-29-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:17 AM   #86
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The problem with this line of thought is you have no way of knowing who is a bad guy and who is just a native/black/Irish/ kid but it is human nature to take short cuts so all black/native/irish kids tend to become the bad guys which leads to Starlight rides, beating deaths and the Birmingham 8.

The police seem to exist in a weird world where they spend most of their time dealing with the most vulnerable of our society without having any insight or knowledge about them what so ever (and I do believe this is on some level a purposeful choice towards ignorance to make the job morally or emotionally easier), I can remember trying to explain to an anti prostitution task force that were sent to the jail I worked out of why they were having no luck getting co operation from the girls when they wanted to 'bust their scumbag pimps' as the cops put it, they had no idea that most of the girls 'pimps' really were their boyfriends, that the girls cared for them and visa versa, that the guys did some dealing and B&E's, the girls worked the stroll, they pooled their money and survived that way.
The anti prostitution task force seemed to have no clue about the actual lives of prostitutes, they seemed to see everything in an utterly black and white manner, they desperately needed a bad guy to hunt down, the idea that everyone involved (except maybe the regular citizen who bought the girls) was also a victim seemed impossible for them to comprehend
Just an awful video in Memphis. I can't imagine what Tyre Nichols was thinking while getting beat to death. I would have ran away too to get away from that.

Do Memphis police not have any training? It looked like a pack of wild dogs with literally zero attempt to pull back on the reigns and gain some perspective on what exactly they were dealing with. Why didn't just one of them have the human decency to make the others stop.

However I do find the bolded part above interesting. Isn't that what many think about cops. Like aren't many in this thread doing the exact same thing? Making straight lines to judgement based on some bad behavior or a silly patch?

Just some food for thought anyway.
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:42 AM   #87
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can see references to the blue wall or blue line well over 20-30 years ago. I never took is as explicitly racist but more as a cover up to crimes and bad behaviour. I think over the years the bad behaviour was probably skewed towards certain minorities so it evolved into a racist symbol. This is more in reference to the US than Canada.

Publicly the thin blue line symbol has very negative connotations in North America. If I were to see someone wearing it I assume they are completely aware of how it is received and they choose to wear it anyways. To me, that speaks louder than the pin itself.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #88
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I work directly with police in my part-time work. Most cops appear to be great people, in fact, some are extremely proactive in trying to improve relations with our client population. Refreshing to see. Of course, I’ve come across a few bad apples, which, to my opinion, I’m not sure why they act the way they do on our premise considering we have cameras, so we send camera evidence to their supervisor if they act out of line.

Regardless, I’m happy with the work they do for us, I’m glad we have police, or else some folk would never leave the premise when they’re not allowed on property. And of course, it’d be a ####show if we didn’t have the opportunity to call in police presence. God knows I’m not putting myself in idiotic danger if someone flies off the rails and starts destroying property while high on meth.

Homeless shelter, FWIW.

Completely off topic, my apologies.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 01-29-2023 at 10:57 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #89
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I work directly with police in my part-time work. Most cops appear to be great people, in fact, some are extremely proactive in trying to improve relations with our client population. Refreshing to see. Of course, I’ve come across a few bad apples, which, to my opinion, I’m not sure why they act the way they do on our premise considering we have cameras, so we send camera evidence to their supervisor if they act out of line.

Regardless, I’m happy with the work they do for us, I’m glad we have police, or else some folk would never leave the premise when they’re not allowed on property. And of course, it’d be a ####show if we didn’t have the opportunity to call in police presence. God knows I’m not putting myself in idiotic danger if someone flies off the rails and starts destroying property while high on meth.

Homeless shelter, FWIW.

Completely off topic, my apologies.
As a preface, I think that there is a big difference in the situations in Canada versus the US.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of cops here are good people trying to do the right thing in their application of the law.

Its not an easy job - the police and EMS personnel often see people in the absolute worst situations, at their worst moment.

Because of that heightened adrenaline in those situations, emotions can/do run high. However, the police are trained and should be the ones to trying to deescalate a situation. In the Memphis case, that didn't happen.

Its a traffic stop, not serving a no knock warrant on a wanted felon. From the start, the use of force didn't seem to match the situation...We'll see if more information comes out, but at the moment, it doesn't appear to have any justification.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #90
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this will solve everything

https://twitter.com/user/status/1621240801807187968
Old 02-03-2023, 02:04 PM   #91
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ironic that should come from the state of Ron DeSantis.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #92
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Just an awful video in Memphis. I can't imagine what Tyre Nichols was thinking while getting beat to death. I would have ran away too to get away from that.

Do Memphis police not have any training? It looked like a pack of wild dogs with literally zero attempt to pull back on the reigns and gain some perspective on what exactly they were dealing with. Why didn't just one of them have the human decency to make the others stop.

However I do find the bolded part above interesting. Isn't that what many think about cops. Like aren't many in this thread doing the exact same thing? Making straight lines to judgement based on some bad behavior or a silly patch?

Just some food for thought anyway.
We have no power over the police, we dont get to arrest them, lay a beating on them or generally make their lives a misery, it doesnt really matter whether we like them or not, it really really matters that cops dont hate black or native or latino kids or just assume they are all crim's that deserve what ever happens to them
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:47 PM   #93
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We have no power over the police, we dont get to arrest them, lay a beating on them or generally make their lives a misery, it doesnt really matter whether we like them or not, it really really matters that cops dont hate black or native or latino kids or just assume they are all crim's that deserve what ever happens to them
That's exactly my point.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #94
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great episode Skip Intro's excellent series on "copaganda".

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:11 PM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Did they just want to instill a sense of irony and hopelessness by having an African themed cruiser in the background of the next video of someone being beaten by the Police?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:00 PM   #96
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
That's exactly my point.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Then I don't understand, please explain
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:24 AM   #97
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Then I don't understand, please explain
Yeah, that "That's exactly my point" was weird. The conversation went like this

AFC - Police need to make judgements on who a bad guy is but sometimes profile to a point where every minority becomes a bad person, and that's dangerous and wrong in a society.

Otto - Suggests that citizens lately are doing the exact same thing to police

AFC - Suggests that this doesn't equal out as the police have the power to change/ruin/end someone's life if they screw up and get something wrong or go overboard where as we don't have that power in judging police

Otto - Says "yeah, my point exactly".

I'm very confused about the whole exchange.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 02:08 AM   #98
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As Chris Rock put it, in some jobs you can't have bad apples.

Like pilots, or the police.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #99
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
As Chris Rock put it, in some jobs you can't have bad apples.

Like pilots, or the police.
Or pastry chef
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:24 AM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I imagine that the Miami PD didnt choose that unveiling music right? That was overlaid by the twittererer? Tweeter? Whatever, that guy...right?

Because...in a way I hope the Miami PD unveiled their 'dumbass-idea-du-jour' to that song. It would be so perfect to illustrate just how out of touch they are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote