Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #3861
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
How long on a typical weekend, with average traffic, from West Springs to the new Costco?
10 minutes from Aspen landing saturday morning at 10 am this past weekend.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #3862
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it not have been more sensical to throw more resources at the SW corner there to finish it to 22x and open at the same time, then to start the HWY 1/16th ave portion?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #3863
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I understand why the nation didn't want the Stoney name running through their land and why we had no choice but to accept......but man, what a terrible decision in naming across the board.

You boys thought 3 unconnected Barlows was bad? HMB, Stoney wants to have a word with you
No kidding. Needs to be repeated. Talk about confusion.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #3864
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Would it not have been more sensical to throw more resources at the SW corner there to finish it to 22x and open at the same time, then to start the HWY 1/16th ave portion?
Probably, maybe, unless the existing project to connect to 22X is already running the fastest it reasonably can. Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that.

But as someone who lives in the Central-SW, I am selfishly way more excited about the Hwy 1 to Hwy 8 portion than I am about the remaining 22X portion.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #3865
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just call the road the 201. When you say the 401 in Ontario everyone knows what you’re talking about.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #3866
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah I avoid West Hills like the plague. I used to only go for the movie theatre but now I go to Market Mall.
It was a joke, but I meant the West Hill in general (Coach Hill south to Signal Hill, incl Aspen etc) is likely where you lived, not that you frequent WestHills mall (note the subtle space in the broader area). Jokes are best when explained.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #3867
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One thing I found quite powerful was the connection to the land. I think its poorly understood by most Canadians. We (Western Society) look at the land as having a financial value. Whereas portions of First Nations cultures see it as part of them. This person did the best job I have seen at expressing the meaning behind that connection to the land and the trauma associated with being ripped from it.

It’s a foreign concept that I struggle to understand.
But another post claims he was protesting getting screwed by the band leaders, not us (western society).

So I’m not sure your explanation holds if his reason for being angry is correct.

More like the band leaders care more about money than their own people’s beliefs. Shocking revelation if true. We all know that $275million definitely isn’t going strait into the band leaders pockets, because that’s never happened. That’s why they’ve repeatedly refused to make their finances public.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #3868
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you get on the new portion from 162nd or does access to the new road start farther north by Evergreen?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #3869
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fish Creek Blvd is as far south as it goes right now.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #3870
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Fish Creek Blvd, how there aren't 100 cops in each of the 2 playground zones catching everyone doing 60+ through them is beyond me.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #3871
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two different contracts.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #3872
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Fish Creek Blvd is as far south as it goes right now.
Is there a way to connect over to 37 Street SW from the new freeway (need to get down to 37 Street and Highway 22X).

Thanks
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #3873
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Is there a way to connect over to 37 Street SW from the new freeway (need to get down to 37 Street and Highway 22X).

Thanks
If you want to get to 22X you should exit at Anderson and take it over to Macleod.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #3874
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If you want to get to 22X you should exit at Anderson and take it over to Macleod.
But does Stoney connect to 37th at all? (I think that was his question). All the signage obviously tells you to use Anderson, but you can just as easily use Fish Creek to Macleod, so could be that it indeed does connect to 37th, but they want to discourage its use - just like they are with Fish Creek

Based on the updated google maps, looks like the movements allow it...
Old 10-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #3875
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But does Stoney connect to 37th at all? (I think that was his question). All the signage obviously tells you to use Anderson, but you can just as easily use Fish Creek to Macleod, so could be that it indeed does connect to 37th, but they want to discourage its use - just like they are with Fish Creek

Based on the updated google maps, looks like the movements allow it...
Not in the far south (I know that is the question) but we've established that it does in the Glenmore section of the SW so technically yes it does.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #3876
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I've yet to drive the new stretch. Acey, are you saying the new signage does NOT refer at all to 201, just the road name? That's idiotic if so. At least if the sign said '201' along with the name you would know it is the ring road and not a collector.
Yes the 201 shields are there like everywhere else on the entire ring road.

I just mean colloquially... nobody refers to it as "201" and rather as "Stoney". People who drive it everyday would probably take a second to know what road you were referring to if you ever said "201", if it even clicked it all.

Basically, exactly what stampsx2 said above, whose post I missed.

The advantage of doing so is that it wouldn't matter if it had 10 names, it'd still just be 201.

Quote:
But does Stoney connect to 37th at all?
Yes, but 37 St no longer connects to 22X, which is shown incorrectly on Google Maps.

Quote:
Two different contracts.
Yes, and started at 2 different times. They've been going balls to the walls near COP but that work didn't even start till 2018.

Last edited by Acey; 10-05-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #3877
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not in the far south (I know that is the question) but we've established that it does in the Glenmore section of the SW so technically yes it does.
Well if we're getting into pedantics - Glenmore intersects 37th St SW, not Stoney, so (at least there) it doesn't
Old 10-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #3878
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys - should have been more clear - I need to get from the new Stoney Tr over to 37th Street southbound. Don't need to get on to 22X.

It sounds like you can no longer turn right northbound onto 37th Street from 22X?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #3879
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the 4 sections, I love how the larger, most complex pieces are going to be done and open first (crossing wetlands at Weaselhead, numerous bridges, terraforming a steep hill @ COP, giant interchanges there as well)..... and yet the 2 sections that are just crossing fields are the last to open (37th to 22x, Hwy 8 to Old Banff). I know its all planned that way, but logically its the opposite of what you'd expect.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #3880
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of the 4 sections, I love how the larger, most complex pieces are going to be done and open first (crossing wetlands at Weaselhead, numerous bridges, terraforming a steep hill @ COP, giant interchanges there as well)..... and yet the 2 sections that are just crossing fields are the last to open (37th to 22x, Hwy 8 to Old Banff). I know its all planned that way, but logically its the opposite of what you'd expect.
Greenfield vs Brownfield.