Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #1721
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I'd like to see a mandatory minimum number of months that any deal would be subject to public review before it is voted on. That snake Davison managed to sneak through a deal in less than a week with no public consultation whatsoever in the middle of summer 2019.
Public consulting is good when it comes to figuring out what you want in a project, but when it comes down to the financial component, it's best not to take the public word too much. Otherwise nothing would get built at all. Look at how controversial the peace bridge was due to it's price tag.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:29 AM   #1722
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Anyone else having voters remorse for choosing her in the last election? It’s no secret how much I despise Flames ownership, but this new mayor is shaping up to be a massive dud.
No. It was her or Davison, who would have tried to get council to cave in to any CSEC demand to preserve his project at the expense of the city, or <<shudder>> Farkas, whose potential for pandering to Kenney would far outweigh anything Flames/City related.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #1723
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
No. It was her or Davison, who would have tried to get council to cave in to any CSEC demand to preserve his project at the expense of the city, or <<shudder>> Farkas, whose potential for pandering to Kenney would far outweigh anything Flames/City related.
So you’re saying cancelling the arena was the best move?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #1724
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I'd like to see a mandatory minimum number of months that any deal would be subject to public review before it is voted on. That snake Davison managed to sneak through a deal in less than a week with no public consultation whatsoever in the middle of summer 2019.
So the public are going to get involved in negotiations now??

Is that what you’re asking for?
Old 01-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #1725
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Lol, does Murray tell you what to write here directly?
You've picked a side. I respect that.

But show a little more respect for those that disagree. He doesn't have to be a parrot for the team to have an opinion different than yours.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #1726
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Seriously?

If he's a shill for anyone it sure as hell isn't the city.
I don't think he's a shill for anyone.

But people need to stop hiding from what they don't want to hear by calling writers shills.

It's possible to be on one side in writing and still have some facts in the piece. Plenty of blame to go around on both sides of this mess.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #1727
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

But people need to stop hiding from what they don't want to hear by calling writers shills.

It's possible to be on one side in writing and still have some facts in the piece. Plenty of blame to go around on both sides of this mess.
It's also possible that they are, in fact, shills(and not at all in reference to Ryan, but clearly some articles we are seeing written in the Herald are heavily, heavily slanted).
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #1728
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's also possible that they are, in fact, shills(and not at all in reference to Ryan, but clearly some articles we are seeing written in the Herald are heavily, heavily slanted).
Not debating that at all.

Just saying there are some facts in there that don't need to just be ignored simply because you don't like the writer.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #1729
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not debating that at all.

Just saying there are some facts in there that don't need to just be ignored simply because you don't like the writer.
And how do you know what to accept as facts (unless you already know) when it is full of non-truths? Sure, Fox news has some facts, too, but I'm not going to try to figure out which parts those are. It's a fair position to disregard an article if you can't trust the messenger.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #1730
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
And how do you know what to accept as facts (unless you already know) when it is full of non-truths? Sure, Fox news has some facts, too, but I'm not going to try to figure out which parts those are. It's a fair position to disregard an article if you can't trust the messenger.
So you're telling me the entire article is false?

All I'm saying is that it's easy to dismiss facts by saying the writer is a shill, but that doesn't taint every point brought up.

Seems like the mayor may have made a mistake or two, doesn't matter to me who brought it up.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #1731
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're telling me the entire article is false?

All I'm saying is that it's easy to dismiss facts by saying the writer is a shill, but that doesn't taint every point brought up.

Seems like the mayor may have made a mistake or two, doesn't matter to me who brought it up.
I'm saying if you don't already know the facts, how are you supposed to tease out the true and false bits? You can verify it through another trusted source, but then you already trust that source, so why take anything from the tainted one?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #1732
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying if you don't already know the facts, how are you supposed to tease out the true and false bits? You can verify it through another trusted source, but then you already trust that source, so why take anything from the tainted one?
Many are just eliminating said articles with a waive of the hand though. There are plenty of issues in even a shill piece that are part of the conversation.

Recognizing a bias and taking it with a grain of salt is one thing; completely disregarding information that doesn't fit your view is another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #1733
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we still talking about the Corbella piece where she later tries to gaslight a member of council on twitter afterwards even in the face of contradictory statements?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #1734
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
This thread is just like the CSEC/City negotiations one giant pissing contest.
You piss on me, I'll piss on you back buddy guy!

wait..
Old 01-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #1735
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are we still talking about the Corbella piece where she later tries to gaslight a member of council on twitter afterwards even in the face of contradictory statements?
Not debating that either. Glad she was called out if something was erroneous.

I think you know what I'm getting at.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #1736
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a ridiculous statement! All conservative-leaning writers are shills for Kenney, Harper and Trump. All left-leaning writers are heroes and experts. It's a well-known scientific fact.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #1737
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no heros or villians here. If you believe one side or the other isn't just trying to get the best deal for their side then you're just falling for the PR.

The city or mayor aren't idiots. They put the deal falling out on twitter to beat the Flames side to get the story out and to try to frame it how they want it to be framed that the city/mayor is doing reasonable things and the Flames keep wanting more from them.

The Flames then put out their little press release but they also have the Postmedia opinion columnists put out their PR about how the city is going to cause the Flames to leave because they are cheap or screwing something out.

There aren't any Liberal papers in Calgary but the Toronto Star opinion columnist returns fire on the city size.

I'm not saying the Postmedia papers or Toronto Star are being directed to release these articles by the Flames or the city, but no matter what happened, you know Postmedia papers were to support the Flames and the Toronto Star would be against the billionaire owners.

The Flames could say they are dropping out of the deal because they didn't like the mayors haircut and the Calgary opinion columnists would spit out a piece about the how the mayors bad stylist choice is sign of her ineptitude.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #1738
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not debating that either. Glad she was called out if something was erroneous.

I think you know what I'm getting at.

There are some columnists who are so over the top in their bias that you can help but feel trolled by the audacity and zeal they emanate. Articles by Corbella, Bell, Conrad Black, Don Braid all have that quality.

I don’t know if there are any facts in the Corbella article, and as commented earlier she’s already lied outright so what else is a lie? Now the burden is on me to fact check?

I’d be curious to hear about some over-the-top shill articles that try to puff up the City’s position in a similar vain.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #1739
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
There's no heros or villians here. If you believe one side or the other isn't just trying to get the best deal for their side then you're just falling for the PR.

The city or mayor aren't idiots. They put the deal falling out on twitter to beat the Flames side to get the story out and to try to frame it how they want it to be framed that the city/mayor is doing reasonable things and the Flames keep wanting more from them.

The Flames then put out their little press release but they also have the Postmedia opinion columnists put out their PR about how the city is going to cause the Flames to leave because they are cheap or screwing something out.

There aren't any Liberal papers in Calgary but the Toronto Star opinion columnist returns fire on the city size.

I'm not saying the Postmedia papers or Toronto Star are being directed to release these articles by the Flames or the city, but no matter what happened, you know Postmedia papers were to support the Flames and the Toronto Star would be against the billionaire owners.

The Flames could say they are dropping out of the deal because they didn't like the mayors haircut and the Calgary opinion columnists would spit out a piece about the how the mayors bad stylist choice is sign of her ineptitude.
I'm curious if things would've played out differently if Gondek didn't come out aggressively on social media saying the Flames are ending the deal because of 20M. She didn't have to mention that she didn't like the arena deal in the first place in her posts.

CSEC/Bean said the day after that after the deal was going to die, there was the intention for the city and Flames to do a joint statement, like they did with previous announcements on the status of the project. If Gondek didn't do what she did, and the joint statement was done, the messaging could be a lot different from the media, and the general public. It could be a lot more amicable; with the focus primarily being not the right time to start digging.

Gondek started this fire publicly, and she's burned herself by doing it. She made it easy for CSEC to be quiet, and let the media carry out the narrative that it's hers and the city's fault the previous deal died.

It's the first time in all of this that you could say that the city is the one on the defensive. It was generally CSEC ####ing up the PR game pretty much the whole time.

Last edited by Joborule; 01-15-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #1740
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It’s the easy way out of a debate. Name calling.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good