Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #81
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know Francis is disliked but I've never really had an issue with him. He comes on the Fan960 occasionally and he's alright. He shows up on TV for a few minutes occasionally. I've never read any of his articles. Honestly I've never heard him say anything that I felt was completely absurd. But ya I agree if you don't like him just don't consume his content. It's easy enough. I can sometimes listen to Lou and other times I just change the station. I actually probably change the station because off Will Nault more than anyone but that's more because I find he never has any real insight and very generic takes.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #82
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

Derek Wills is nauseatingly homeristic. Seems like a decent dude, though.
To me he's just plain nauseating
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #83
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I know Francis is disliked but I've never really had an issue with him. He comes on the Fan960 occasionally and he's alright. He shows up on TV for a few minutes occasionally. I've never read any of his articles. Honestly I've never heard him say anything that I felt was completely absurd. But ya I agree if you don't like him just don't consume his content. It's easy enough. I can sometimes listen to Lou and other times I just change the station. I actually probably change the station because off Will Nault more than anyone but that's more because I find he never has any real insight and very generic takes.
how much eric francis have you actually heard? his entire shtick is to take the complete opposite and most absurd antagonistic take possible on any issue to generate the most outrage. he is a buzfeed article that makes you click 17 times to read the entire thing

youre right on one thing, you can chose to not consume his content, so i just watch something else the entirety of the intermission during the multiple weekly segments he has on tv and radio

he legitimately does great events for the community from the sounds of things but damn he just makes bad takes on purpose and leverages his huge platform to use peoples obvious disapproval of most of what he says as some kind of proof that he is worth reading/talking about
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:37 AM   #84
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm kind of shocked reading the last page or so of responses. Yes, it's been a ####ty time for everyone, but it's also been a ####ty time for the more qualified people who Francis has taken a job from. I don't know why he magically gets a pass lately. Having said that, my objection to him stems largely from the fact that he never should have been there in the first place. He's been in Calgary media for 20 or so years, but generally to the detriment of anyone who's had to listen to him. He was a dick on Jack, and he's a dick now, and it's unfortunate because if they didn't have him filling the slot, they'd probably have a better writer covering the Flames. I don't like him, and I never did, but I'd be more forgiving if he ever said anything interesting, insightful, or creative. The only reason he's still around is a combination of inertia and nepotism. We pilloried Loubo, but he was far better than Francis because he cared more, understood more, and was more qualified. Why does Francis ever get a pass, when we #### on Loubo for being, IMO, far better?
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madrox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #85
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The way he was talking to Stajan last night was a joke. He does realize he is nothing but a talentless hack who wouldn't even be in the business if it weren't for his mommy, yes?
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheKiprusoffResurrection For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #86
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m almost rooting for Bennett to get traded now after his “Sam Bennett isn’t going anywhere!” Take.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #87
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact the Flames actually employ this guy just matches the overall dysfunction of this organization.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #88
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiprusoffResurrection View Post
The way he was talking to Stajan last night was a joke. He does realize he is nothing but a talentless hack who wouldn't even be in the business if it weren't for his mommy, yes?
Maybe I was just inebriated, but I found that segment and exchange with stajan and Francis kind of harsh. Francis basically telling a bottom line guy that bottom line guys are meaningless, "ha.. Ha...?"
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #89
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The fact the Flames actually employ this guy just matches the overall dysfunction of this organization.
The Flames do not employ him.

Fact.

Last edited by transplant99; 02-20-2021 at 08:39 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #90
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'd actually like to see the Stajan experiment come to end. Great guy but c'mon.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #91
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's journalism these days - knee-jerk, clickbait, sensationalism rather than actual facts and summaries. Francis isn't so much a journalist in my opinion as he is a personality. We unfortunately here in Calgary lost most of the good ones that we did enjoy.

He just doesn't care. He has been proven wrong over many opinions he states as facts, but he continues to be that way. Saying: "In my opinion, I don't think that the Flames are going to fire Ward given...". Why be so adamant about stuff and insinuate that you have a chair at the table, or at least a fly on the wall. Flames are a tight-lipped organization, and rightfully so.

I miss guys like Cruickshank, and especially Duhatschek. Real journalists that gave you insight, and that you really trusted. When they gave their opinions, you knew it as opinions. They seemed smart, they seemed interesting, and they were easy to listen to. I can't say that Francis is any of those things, but this is who we have.

At least we have guys like Haynes, but he doesn't get enough air-time to help balance it. Loubourdias and, and to a lesser extent, Steinberg, are fine in my opinion. It is just way too much Francis and way too less of everyone else to balance that against. Other markets may have a guy like Brooks, but they have other journalists who are also great personalities to focus on. I really dislike his segments between periods, and I basically love it when it is anyone else. Sarich, Rich Sutter, Stajan - heck, even Brouwer is both more entertaining and insightful to me.

Maybe I am biased now, but I like things less whenever Francis is on.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #92
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was great, Pinder put Francis in his place this morning during the 9. Francis was stating that it was a fact Johnny won't be re-signing here and is gone, Pinder quite energetically stood up to him and basically said - you either know something you're not saying, or this is simply just your opinion.

You could tell Francis was taken aback and quickly backed down from his stance and softened to it just being his opinion. It was refreshing to hear, thanks Pinder.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #93
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

That was actually pretty great. Not a direct quote but he said something like

Either you know something you aren't saying or you're lying.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #94
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
It was great, Pinder put Francis in his place this morning during the 9. Francis was stating that it was a fact Johnny won't be re-signing here and is gone, Pinder quite energetically stood up to him and basically said - you either know something you're not saying, or this is simply just your opinion.

You could tell Francis was taken aback and quickly backed down from his stance and softened to it just being his opinion. It was refreshing to hear, thanks Pinder.
It is my biggest gripe with Francis. He talks about his opinion like it is a fact and that is why I think he really comes across as arrogant. Some of the things he emphatically states is such garbage as well that he is easy to hate.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #95
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pinder has been one of the only media members thats been questioning Ward a lot this year too.

Good Job Pinder!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #96
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Pinder has been one of the only media members thats been questioning Ward a lot this year too.

Good Job Pinder!
No question Pinder is the fanboi of Calgary media.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #97
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is my biggest gripe with Francis. He talks about his opinion like it is a fact and that is why I think he really comes across as arrogant. Some of the things he emphatically states is such garbage as well that he is easy to hate.
He would fit right in around this place
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #98
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The earth is definitely flat

-Eric Francis

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #99
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-nine/

The brilliance starts around 21:40.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francis also backtracked on Gaudreau saying he thinks he's a great player and doesn't have a hate on for him lol.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote