Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #61
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

During economical hardship , some cp members want to get Francis fired? He has kids , mortgage, car payments ect. . Pretty pathetic if you ask me. If you don’t like him , don’t watch or read his articles . There is a “Francis” in almost every hockey market . Some far worse than him .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #62
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Right next to the even bigger portrait of himself.
Eric Francis has a Steve-O style tattoo of Eric Francis
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #63
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
During economical hardship , some cp members want to get Francis fired? He has kids , mortgage, car payments ect. . Pretty pathetic if you ask me. If you don’t like him , don’t watch or read his articles . There is a “Francis” in almost every hockey market . Some far worse than him .
Yep, some mega-######s in this thread.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #64
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I've heard he's secretly an Oilers fan.
I heard he eats kittens and kicks puppies for fun!

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #65
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is clearly the work of misandrists.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #66
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about that. If it were that easy, he would've been gone long ago.

He's welcome to implement some integrity and respectability in how he carries out his job.

Until then we'll call him out on it and don't have to pretend to enjoy it.

This is a part of what you sign up for when you become a part of the media and have an audience. Given his insistence in being the way he is, he clearly doesn't give two ####s anyways.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #67
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

Such a simple solution to something that isn't even really a problem.

TV is filled with shows you dont like...what do you do? Watch something else.

A magazine has 50 articles you have no interest in? Read something that does.

Radio station isnt your cup of tea? Switch it to something that is.

No one is forcing anyone to read, watch or listen to any individual media guy.

Im not a huge fan of his takes either. So I choose to read other writers. Its not hard.

I will add that beyond his work in the media and whatever form that is at any point in time, Eric Francis is a guy that gives back to the community 100 times more than he takes in from it. Pizza Pigout has raised an insane amount of money through the years and every dollar goes to charities like Kids Cancer Care, Kidsport, and the police foundation. Things that make other lives better. So to the OP...i have zero problem with him representing my community.

So hate his takes and opinions all you like. Its fair to do so being he is in the public spotlight.

Calling for his firing and some of the things suggested on here is nothing short of disgusting. And why? Because he says things we all dont agree with?

Just brutal.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #68
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last I checked he is a sports opinion guy, not a court reporter. He has a platform for his opinion. If you don’t like his opinion, go take a dump when when he is on tv, or skip over his articles and read the opinion of a guy whose options likely align with yours.

Personally, I find it interesting listening to the opinions of others.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #69
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the passive aggressive stories in here are a little creepy.

I ran into Eric Francis in public and didn’t say anything to him!! But I was talking about him when he wasn’t around!!

Yay?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #70
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not going to get on board the fire person x train because I hate their opinions. There are times I agree with Francis. There are times I disagree. I have no qualm calling him a dolt when it's required, nor any qualm calling him correct when he is. Sometimes his opinions I don't agree with, but it usually gets some traction on this site and a debate comes out of it. In that sense he's doing his job. His job is to get people talking about the team by giving perspectives outside the norm. Does he cross the line? Sure sometimes. But then it usually gets dished right back at him and that's more than fair.

By all accounts he's good in the community too. I think he has some kind of pizza party charity event every year that sells out and brings in a good haul for some local charity (can't remember exactly for what). At the end of the day he's just a guy making a living by giving his opinion on hockey. Can't really fault someone for making a living by doing that. If I don't like what he has to say I'll skip past the article and go on with my day.

Posters on this site regularly say much worse things than Francis ever does. Read any GT or PGT when the Flames are sucking and much worse things are said.

Edit - Just saw transplant's post about his pizza pigout. He probably gives back more to the city than most people who live in it. If he finds a way to literally improve the lives of those less fortunate and the price we pay is getting a guy giving "unpopular" opinions about hockey, I'll take that every single day.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 02-13-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #71
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Some of the passive aggressive stories in here are a little creepy.

I ran into Eric Francis in public and didn’t say anything to him!! But I was talking about him when he wasn’t around!!

Yay?
"I didn't say 'Hi!' to him after riding the Zamboni."

So funny. I bet that showed him.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #72
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I was getting paid for all my against the grain opinions.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #73
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually almost find it refreshing to have a contrarian amongst the media in Calgary

Say what you want about Francis but he is not guilty of the cardinal beat writer sin: homerism

But yes I find myself disagreeing with most of his takes. Still not going to campaign for anyone to lose their job and I’ll take a Francis over a Spector at the end of the day
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #74
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I actually almost find it refreshing to have a contrarian amongst the media in Calgary

Say what you want about Francis but he is not guilty of the cardinal beat writer sin: homerism

But yes I find myself disagreeing with most of his takes. Still not going to campaign for anyone to lose their job and I’ll take a Francis over a Spector at the end of the day
Ok. Well who is our homerism media person? Why can't they share more exposure time. As it is an outsider might think Francis actually represents the norm.

I'm not calling for anyone to lose their means of living. I would appreciate it if the guy who is looked on to represent Flames fans actually did.
I do worry - likely unreasonably- that even actual players might think we don't appreciate them based on his often contrary opinions.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #75
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Ok. Well who is our homerism media person? Why can't they share more exposure time. As it is an outsider might think Francis actually represents the norm.

Even if this is true....does it really matter?

Quote:
I'm not calling for anyone to lose their means of living. I would appreciate it if the guy who is looked on to represent Flames fans actually did.
I do worry - likely unreasonably- that even actual players might think we don't appreciate them based on his often contrary opinions.
Eric Francis is not paid to "represent Flames fans", he is paid by a private business to give his opinions on things. Players, more than anyone, know this.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #76
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares what other markets think?

Quote:
I very seriously doubt that Eric Francis's reporting and comments has anything at all to do with players's opinions about the city and the team. Calgary's media actually has a wider reputation for being relativy "soft" on the Flames. There are plenty of media markets that are MUCH more critical and agitating toward players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #77
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the problem most people have with this dude is that he is basically getting paid to troll Flames fans. People are sick of his methods the same way they get sick of online trolls. He tries to make every opinion as edgy as possible and people get really tired of that.

The bigger problem is that sure we can personally ignore him, but the fact he gets a national spotlight spouting his edgelord opinions rubs fans the wrong way.

Also the way he seems to make it personal in attacks on certain players comes across as really petty and insecure.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #78
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Even if this is true....does it really matter?

Eric Francis is not paid to "represent Flames fans", he is paid by a private business to give his opinions on things. Players, more than anyone, know this.
Exactly right. So therfore my opinions on his opinions shouldn't matter and likely don't.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #79
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think probably the impact of this board or any single fan (like ######### or whatever that idiot's name is) is probably over-stated. However, it isn't unreasonable to think that fan sentiment would be a consideration and that this board would be some way to get a sense of it.

But let's face it- if this board had the power to get people fired, there would have been more of that happening. And with Loubo there was just as many people who loved him as disliked him.

So I don't fully buy into it.
I recall Steve Simmons in one of his columns stating the Calgary PBP guy (Loubardias) was terrible so I believe that it was well known that he wasn't universally liked doing PBP. That banned poster is probably full of crap.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #80
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
"I didn't say 'Hi!' to him after riding the Zamboni."

So funny. I bet that showed him.

"I just kept calling him Bradley."

Quote:
Ok. Well who is our homerism media person? Why can't they share more exposure time.
Derek Wills is nauseatingly homeristic. Seems like a decent dude, though.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: