Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #441
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any reason what so ever that Andersson hasn't earned a spot? Only reason I see him going down is ice time.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #442
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

Kylington in the running for that spot with Stone.

At this point, Kulak and Bartkowski should just be used to warm the press-box....they should never be on the ice. Just brutal.

Valimaki is making a real strong case to be on the opening night roster. He's simply steady on the ice.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #443
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could Dube be this years surprise player to make the team. After Jankowski he looks to be the next best forward. If he keeps this up they are going to have to give him a look in the regular season. None of the other young forwards (maybe Lomberg) are impressing me at this point. Foo? Nothing special so far .

As for the defence , Anderson is looking pretty steady in my mind
442scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #444
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Right now I could see Tree trading for a #6 d-man , or pull another "versteeg" move. Bart has been aweful and while Kulak has been better than him, he still doesn't seem like an everyday bottom pairing d-man.
Sign Jagr and play him as the #6

He literally could not be worse
Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #445
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Lol at how short of a leash Bart and kulak are getting, but people were defending Smith and Brouwer with their lives the other night
Smith and Brouwer are proven NHLers. Kulak and Bartkowski are not.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #446
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He's a 21 year old sixth overall pick. Last year, he had 1 assist in ten games at the NHL level, and 19 points in 65 games in the AHL.

That is why people think he is a bust.
his ahl time last year was learning how to be a complete player on and off the ice. Green mentioned in press con that he felt Virtanen had a great year even though it didn't translate on the scoresheet.

this summer Jake came to camp in the best shape of his career and his points so far this pre-season shows it.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #447
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"He had a good year even though it didn't translate on the scoresheet" is part PR, part not throwing your guy under the bus in public. Simple fact is, Virtanen can't even produce at the AHL level. Maybe he turns out to be a guy who plays better with better players. He's fast and he has a shot. But there's just no evidence of him being able to do it as a pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Yes yes I know it's preseason, and no I'm not freaking out, and no I don't have some personal vendetta against Janko or Feaster. I just have yet to see what the fuss is about. Hope I'm proven wrong.
He made a great zone entry towards the end of the period on the power play, and has made a couple of good passes, and obviously it was a nice shot on his goal. Not that he's been a huge difference maker but he's been one of their better players.

Though honestly Versteeg is the only guy in that period who even looked like an NHL player, really, so you were watching a pretty bad sample of play to draw conclusions from.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #448
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still can't see what everyone is so excited about Jankowski. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play much as I don't really follow Stockton. It also could just be weird timing but it seems like every time I am actually watching, he's passing it into guys feet, or to nobody, or bobbling the puck. Just this period since I tuned in he made 3-4 terrible passes. The first half of last game he didn't do anything that I noticed, besides a few giveaways. Rest of the game is foggy.

Yes yes I know it's preseason, and no I'm not freaking out, and no I don't have some personal vendetta against Janko or Feaster. I just have yet to see what the fuss is about. Hope I'm proven wrong.
You're focusing on what seems to be maybe %5 of his game tonight. Inthe bigger picture, he been great. Consistently throughout the tournament and pre season.

I've noticed those passes too, but that's timing. Something he will progessively get better at as the season goes on.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #449
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I still can't see what everyone is so excited about Jankowski. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play much as I don't really follow Stockton. It also could just be weird timing but it seems like every time I am actually watching, he's passing it into guys feet, or to nobody, or bobbling the puck. Just this period since I tuned in he made 3-4 terrible passes. The first half of last game he didn't do anything that I noticed, besides a few giveaways. Rest of the game is foggy.
Are you sure you're watching Jankowski?

Because this comment makes no sense. He's protecting the puck using his reach, making smart plays and has 2 goals (and a couple posts) in 2 pre-season games.

Odd take.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #450
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could Boeser be any less interested in this interview
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #451
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Smith and Brouwer are proven NHLers. Kulak and Bartkowski are not.
Also different posters are saying different things and aren't some homogeneous blob with binary opinions.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #452
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really excited to see Parsons tonight. Hopefully they let him play the third period.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #453
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahahha, who is this interviewer?! "On sunday the Vancouver Canucks flew to China, and also on Sunday as you're about to see, they flew to China."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #454
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel like I am watching Kulak blow his last chance to be an nhl regular tonight. Him and bart are beyond awful... They are getting owned by an echl level team
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #455
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dube has been impressive yet again. So smart with the puck and always seems to make the right play.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #456
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski has the makings of that big #1C every team covets like Thornton, Getzlaf, etc. I think he'll best develop in the NHL. I also think Kylington looks like the best guy for the #6 role, but I do worry a bit about his size and consistency. I hope he gets at least half of an NHL season under his belt.

Valimaki will make the team next year.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #457
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
Lazar needs to step his game up in order to make this team. I see plenty of guys tonight that can fill his role and more.
I think he's been decent actually.

Almost no chance he's not on the team.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #458
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hahahha, who is this interviewer?! "On sunday the Vancouver Canucks flew to China, and also on Sunday as you're about to see, they flew to China."
It's Irv!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #459
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Dube has been impressive yet again. So smart with the puck and always seems to make the right play.
Paired with Blazing speed, hustle and a bit o grit. He's blooming. WJC is going to be big time for him this year.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #460
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Watching on delay so don't know if posted earlier but Kylington gets pushed off the puck a little too easily.

His offense and skating are good but when opponents lean on him he coughs up the puck.
Yeah I've been impressed by him but he still needs to add strength. He was real skinny when we drafted him and he's added strength but he isn't at NHL strength level yet IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote