Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #2941
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

So....

Abbotsford moves to Adirondack (West Division to East Division)
Adirondack moves to Lehigh Valley (stays in Northeast Division)
Norfolk moves from East Division to West Division?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #2942
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

unfortunate that the team has to move. Especially as we had such awesome CP folk out there who devoted so much time on bringing flames fans the daily news on what's going on with the prospects.

Didn't get to watch/follow any of the heat first round, but curious how Baertchi looked. I saw a tweet from pinder stating that he was the flames 6th or 7th best forward, which is pretty disappointing to hear.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #2943
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
So....

Abbotsford moves to Adirondack (West Division to East Division)
Adirondack moves to Lehigh Valley (stays in Northeast Division)
Norfolk moves from East Division to West Division?
Whatever the division re-alignment is, it'll probably only be for one season. Sounds more and more like the Western NHL teams will be creating their own league (or at the very least, their own division out west).
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #2944
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Whatever the division re-alignment is, it'll probably only be for one season. Sounds more and more like the Western NHL teams will be creating their own league (or at the very least, their own division out west).
Seems like a bad idea to me. It's so hard to find a supportive community. If the Flames can have success in NY they should just stay there.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #2945
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If the Adirondack Facebook page is any indication, the fans are gaggin' for a hockey team and will take it in any position they can get!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #2946
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that the AHL really matters anymore, but Texas vs. Grand Rapids is going to be a ridiculously good series. Two juggernauts battling it out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #2947
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, hate to say it but I do look forward to that one.

Chicago gets Toronto in the next round too. Rochester almost beat Chicago too.

I actually find myself more into AHL playoffs this year then NHL. And having severe Heat withdrawals already.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #2948
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Brandon Astle @brandon_astle
News of the day from locker clean out- Captain Dean Arsene has annouced his retirement. Solid player, better person. One of the classiest.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #2949
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
News of the day from locker clean out- Captain Dean Arsene has annouced his retirement. Solid player, better person. One of the classiest.
I have a ton of respect for these guys that "ride the busses and slug it out in the minors."

Arsene had a 16 year pro hockey career and played 13 games in the big leagues. Enjoy your life after hockey Dean.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #2950
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure he'll be busy now in his other job of new daddy. Good for him to be able to play hockey and then be able to have time with his new baby. So many guys miss out on that.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #2951
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

My article on Ryan Culkin is up:

Quote:
"My goal was obviously to turn pro this year, but I made a name for myself at camp. I worked my butt off, so I can't complain," he said.

"Ultimately, going back to juniors, I wanted to be the best 20-year-old overage defenceman in the [QMJHL]. I thrived on always being the best and I think I did a great job this year. I had a lot of success in Quebec City and when I got traded to Drummondville, it was a different system, but I learned it quick and I thought overall I had a very great year - one of my best years in junior hockey."
Quote:
Meanwhile, while all of Culkin's focus and energy was on his team's playoff run, he got a call.

"It was during playoffs. I got a call from my agent and he said that he was negotiating for an [entry-level] deal and I thought, 'Oh wow, that's awesome,'

"At the same time, I was kind of nervous because I didn't want it to affect the way I wanted to play during the playoffs. But after it was done, I was really happy. Dad got a little emotional. It was a great feeling and I've got to keep working hard along the way."
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=717979
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #2952
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Abbotsford Heat @abbotsfordheat
Saturday May 24th #AHLHeat Year End Sale from 12PM - 4PM at @AbbyCentre. Merchandise, office supplies, and equipment.

Probably could get some sweet souvenirs if you are in that area.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #2953
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like Ryan Culkin's game and his approach to hockey.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #2954
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

My article's up on Eric Roy chasing his NHL dream from the small village of Beauval, Saskatchewan.

Quote:
Growing up in Beauval, SK - a small community of just under 800 people - the local Charles Gauthier Arena was the social heartbeat of the town. The next nearest arena was well over an hour's drive away, which made hockey games against neighbouring communities a bit of a trek.

Then, in late April of 2011, Beauval's figurative heartbeat stopped.
"Unfortunately, [the arena] burned down. A lot of memories there were burned down with it," said Roy.

But the demise of his home rink didn't pull the plug on his dreams of hopefully one day being drafted to play in the NHL.
Quote:
The Flames' 2013 fifth-rounder's motivation to play in the NHL has been heavily fueled by the revered status he carries in the tiny village. To be the first person from Beauval to accomplish such a thing would be monumental - not just individually, but communally.

"It'd be really good," Roy explained.

"The kids there in Beauval really look up to me. I'm a huge role model there. To play an NHL game, for them, would be really really exciting. My parents would be really excited for me, especially coming from a small community like that. It's going to be a long road, but I'm going to work hard for it."
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #2955
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Abbotsford Heat @abbotsfordheat
Saturday May 24th #AHLHeat Year End Sale from 12PM - 4PM at @AbbyCentre. Merchandise, office supplies, and equipment.

Probably could get some sweet souvenirs if you are in that area.

Sucks it's in Abbotsford only. I have wanted to get some Heat gear for a bit and they keep saying they have no options outside of Abbotsford yet. Few fans on twitter from all over Canada and the US have been asking.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:06 AM   #2956
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
My article's up on Eric Roy chasing his NHL dream from the small village of Beauval, Saskatchewan.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home
I know some people up in that area, Flames fans too, so it was pretty good when we picked him.

He's in the same situation as Culkin was last year. He'll have to work hard for a contract or return to junior for his overage year as he has a late birthday.

Last edited by Vulcan; 05-09-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #2957
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #2958
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't Heat related per-say aside from the fact I would love for the Heat (or whatever our new name might be) and other AHL teams to get agreements like this and have more NHL-like broadcasting of games.

http://griffinshockey.com/news/relea...rticle_id=2832

Quote:
MES will televise a minimum of 40 Griffins games – including a minimum of 10 home games – during each of the next three seasons. All games will be shown live in HD and will be available through an expanding network in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

This agreement with MES represents the most significant television package by far in Griffins history and the team’s first of any kind since the 2008-09 season. With the exception of the Chicago Wolves, no current AHL team will have as many of its 2014-15 games produced specifically for broadcast television as Grand Rapids.
A minimum of 40 games would be roughly 2/3 of the AHL season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #2959
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One problem with Abbotsford is that they don't have their own TV station to boost the Heat and the Vancouver stations barely mentioned the Heat. Glens Falls does have their own TV station. It would be great to get the team a TV contract.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #2960
abattista2977
Draft Pick

icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
One problem with Abbotsford is that they don't have their own TV station to boost the Heat and the Vancouver stations barely mentioned the Heat. Glens Falls does have their own TV station. It would be great to get the team a TV contract.
The Heat/Flames won't have their own station. The few games that were televised here for the Phantoms on a local Time/Warner channel were because of deals other teams (Rochester/Albany) have with Time Warner. I expect no change. Our main news stations come out of Albany so they mention us second to them.

What we do have here is a loyal base of fans who WILL come to the games. We came for the sorry Phantoms for 5 years. I can't wait to see this building with a good team....dare I say a playoff team!

We anxiously await the announcement of the press conference today for Thurs or Fri. Can't wait for the Name/Logo and for tickets to go on sale.
abattista2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abattista2977 For This Useful Post: