Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #1981
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I not a big believer in Roy but it's a shame he's hasn't been on the Heat to at least give him a chance to show his worth. Playing MacDonald is pretty much a waste.
Yeah. Drives me nuts having him down there. You know MacDonald isn't a part of the future of the Flames, and its not like he's a solid veteran that is helping us win games. He's a great guy, I'm sure, but he's 5-8 in his starts, which is not what we need from a veteran. We need a chance to win when Ortio rests.

Give Roy a shot, but beware, we've seen goalies (Ortio, Brossoit) just get LIT up attempting to transition from lower leagues to the AHL.

As far as Baertschi goes, he lacks intensity. You look at him and you don't see a guy trying to win the game every shift. You see him wait around for opportunities, make soft passes, and generally let his line mates do the hard work.

He's got the same skill level (likely) as Markus Granlund, but his intensity/compete level is embarrassing.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #1982
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case anyone missed it this morning, Troy Ward on 960
http://downloads.flames.nhl.com/podc...an960jan27.mp3

-Talks about Breen, SOB, how to distribute ice time properly between young developing guys like Wotherspoon or veterans like SOB and Smith.
-Talks a bit about the Cundari trade and what that means for his team.
-Mentions Baerstchi and talks about where his game is at, where is lack of offence is coming from and why he's not concerned.
-Talks about the injuries with Ferland and Sieloff
-Mentions losing his hard physical players for various reasons, Blair Jones, Byron, Sieloff, and why that's meant the Heat has had to change the way they play
-Talks about Granlunds success, especially since Street left
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #1983
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
I like the sound of the Hanowski/Knight/Jooris line... Sounds like a ready-made energy line for the Flames.

Have they been performing well lately?
They started out as a line for the first handful of games, but they're not a line anymore. Haven't been for quite a while.

Talking with Ward he says once that 40ish game mark rolls around in the AHL, most college rookies hit a wall. Such has been the case with Hanowski and Knight. They're still doing good things (Knight even fought someone this last weekend), but they've slowed offensively big time.

Jooris' offense has been almost non-existent all season, unfortunately.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #1984
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

How has Jooris looked overall? I thought he played well in the Flames pre season game I saw against Edmonton, but haven't followed him at all
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #1985
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
How has Jooris looked overall? I thought he played well in the Flames pre season game I saw against Edmonton, but haven't followed him at all
Unnoticeable for the most part. Has a decent work ethic, but offence and applying pressure down low really is his strong suit.

In the meantime, while his offence is dried up, he's been working hard on the other parts of his game.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #1986
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lance Bouma's AHL offense wasn't any great shakes either, and he's in the NHL because he was really good at other aspects of the game.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #1987
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the Heat website McKelvie and Kremyr have been sent to Alaska in addition to the recalls of MacKenzie and Roy
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #1988
Lobsterfreak
Draft Pick

FYI. Nemisz is rolling along with 8 points in 6 games with Charlotte. The sources I read indicate he is playing a big game with a lot of fight and determination. Good news for a great guy. Cundari also doing well with the Wolves in just 2 games palyed. Apparently he made bone crushing hits against Toronto and the next day in Hamilton was 1st star with 1G 1A and 6 shots on net. Happy for both!
Lobsterfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lobsterfreak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #1989
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's always nice to see our players go to other teams and have much more success.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #1990
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya glad to see Nemisz get some success somewhere, it obviously wasn't working out here. I would still be surprised to see him as anything passed a fourth liner in the NHL... if that.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #1991
Northern Lites
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Yeah it's always nice to see our players go to other teams and have much more success.
Any thoughts on why they aren't having success with the Heat?
Northern Lites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #1992
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The hell, Nemisz? Where was that here?

Oh well. I liked the guy, at least he's pushed himself enough to be relevant over there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #1993
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The hell, Nemisz? Where was that here?

Oh well. I liked the guy, at least he's pushed himself enough to be relevant over there.
I posted something about the trade (Nemisz for Westgarth) but it was also the same time that Granlund was called up and we signed Foster, so there was a ton of Abby news going on.

I was watching parts the OKC Barons/Charlotte game and Nemisz looked great. Definitely someone we could have used on the Heat, especially when I was listening to the Heat game and no one could solve Ericksson, but that's the breaks.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #1994
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ya glad to see Nemisz get some success somewhere, it obviously wasn't working out here. I would still be surprised to see him as anything passed a fourth liner in the NHL... if that.
Never say never, but I find it difficult to imagine Nemisz ever making it in the NHL - he just doesn't have the foot speed to make himself effective.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #1995
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward ran a really really hard practice this morning.

O'Brien was bagged in particular. He said he likes it like that though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #1996
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blair Jones on waivers.

Boy could the Heat use him back right now, even if it's just for a bit.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #1997
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why could I see a team like the Oilers picking him up just to put him in OKC to bolster their offence? Cheap contract and great in the AHL. Few AHL teams looking for spark plugs like him.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #1998
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Why could I see a team like the Oilers picking him up just to put him in OKC to bolster their offence? Cheap contract and great in the AHL. Few AHL teams looking for spark plugs like him.
If anyone picks him off waivers they have to keep them on their NHL roster.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #1999
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2013/14 General Heat Discussion Thread

Quote:

Would have to trade for him after clearing waivers for that to work. If you're claimed you play for the big club.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #2000
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They can't. Anybody claimed on waivers has to be kept with the NHL club that claims him.

EDIT: I was "surelossed"
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote