Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #5901
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Question was bike or bus. You guys with multiple bikes to chose from are living large.

Chose bike, came in pretty early hoping that if it gets ugly I'll already be home.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #5902
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just have multiple tires to choose form! Same bike though. Good call on leaving early, it is nice to have an excuse. My boss bikes in on good days, so he will be sympathetic!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #5903
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode the winter bike and went as hard as I possibly could on it since it is clear out and averaged only 22.7km/h.

I also got a pair of these goggles (the black clear version): https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5022-960/Mojo-Goggles , I know someone else was asking about clear goggles for the winter. I wore them this morning and they fit me really well with my ski helmet and seem like they will do a good job this winter.

I guess we will see if the gamble pays off for you guys, or if my morning slog was worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #5904
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome thanks, I'll go check those goggles out. Just what I was looking for, at the right price!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #5905
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, my trusty old ski goggles are tinted somewhat and starting to fall apart. I think you can't go wrong with those ones, everyone on their bikes to race down to MEC to grab 'em!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #5906
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The north wind was a bit of a drain this morning. My shoes covers arrive tomorrow so I doubled up my socks as it's only my feet that ever get cold. The extra pair didn't help.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #5907
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

What shoe covers did you get KTrain? I'm on my second pair, first pair of Sealskinz totally wore out, I just bought these for inclement weather, haven't used them yet: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-2...st-Shoe-Covers

My issue is more with feet/shoes getting wet rather than being cold.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #5908
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I ordered these off Amazon. Reviews were good and they won't break the bank. I also wanted to keep them bright for a bit more visibility.

I likely won't be doing a lot of sub-zero rides but I little wind protection will be nice. I'll let you know how they do.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #5909
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Still in admiration for all you cold weather riders. I still haven't had the stones to attempt it....that and the fact that I've been off the pedals for >2.5 months due to an injury really sucks!!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #5910
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the tow covers, less of a hassle. But I need to make my own, becuase the designs suck, and they are to thin. I'd like to get some 3mm neoprene from somewhere...
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #5911
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'd worry about toe covers falling off. Maybe I just don't know how they stick to your shoe. Some don't seem to go around the cleat.

I know my cycling shoes are very smooth and likely wouldn't let anything grip them nicely.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #5912
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have qa pair of pearl izumi covers and I have to say they are nice to keep my feet warm, by a major PITA to put on.

the one thing that annoys me about riding in the shoulder seasons is lugging all of the xtra clothes you have to wear in the morning and then carry home for the afternoon commute
Old 10-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #5913
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I have a few sets of clothes that I leave at work. I still truck a bag with me back and forth in case I need to bring something home/to work.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #5914
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'd worry about toe covers falling off. Maybe I just don't know how they stick to your shoe. Some don't seem to go around the cleat.

I know my cycling shoes are very smooth and likely wouldn't let anything grip them nicely.
I wear more casual cycling shoes, and the toe covers have never come off. In the winter I switch to flat pedals and warm runners. I was using an old pair of toe covers that had torn on the bottom, and I could get them over these shoes, but they are manky and not quite warm enough. I have just ordered some neoprene and glue on Amazon and picked up some bungee to create a heal loop. I'm making my own, dammit! With extra insulation.

Oh, and I just go back form MEC, and grabbed the very last pair of clear Bolle goggles ever manufactured.

Just kidding, they had a few. They seam to fit OK around my helmet.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #5915
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a few sets of clothes that I leave at work. I still truck a bag with me back and forth in case I need to bring something home/to work.
I am talking more about wearing leggings and a jacket sweater in the morning, and then it being 10 or so on the way home and rocking shorts and short sleeve t.

so on the way home you are toting to regular clothing for the day, plus the cycling gear you are not wearing
Old 10-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #5916
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am talking more about wearing leggings and a jacket sweater in the morning, and then it being 10 or so on the way home and rocking shorts and short sleeve t.

so on the way home you are toting to regular clothing for the day, plus the cycling gear you are not wearing
I wear 3/4 length cycling shorts on those cool morning/warm afternoon days. The bag does carry the jacket home.

Though that was problem last month and last week. I think we've entered into the warm clothes in the morning and afternoon season now. At least today will be.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #5917
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just rock my winter boots on the cold days. Today I was wearing my Blundstones and a pair of wool socks. All good.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #5918
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wear 3/4 length cycling shorts on those cool morning/warm afternoon days. The bag does carry the jacket home.

Though that was problem last month and last week. I think we've entered into the warm clothes in the morning and afternoon season now. At least today will be.
3 degrees a real cyclist wears shorts
Old 10-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #5919
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like I should have listened to you guys this morning. I was hoping for a blizzard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #5920
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paths just wet this morning, with bridge decks getting a slight accumulation. Rode the winter bike in just in case.
Closed Thread