Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Playfair- What do you think

I have been following the Heat most of this year and I'm just wondering what people think of Playfair's style when talking to the media.

He has made some comments about players play after a bad game. He did it again last night to the Heat's best player to date this year--Leyland Irving.

Quote:"I thought it should have been a 2-1, maybe a 3-1 game," the Heat bench boss said. "I thought the last two goals, Irving was weak on, and it cost us the game."

Irving may have had a sub-par game and if anyone knows it Irving does so what do you think about Playfair's remarks?

Personally I think the coach would be better served to talk straight to the player in the room rather than through the media.

Maybe you think that Playfair is right in doing this as well.

I think it would do one of 2 things--P.O the player causing a rift between coach and player or make the player play better.

Thoughts?????
flameester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

No sense taking a **** in someone's mouth and calling it chocolate.

Just make sure that on the flip side, if a guy has a good game, you go out there and tell the microphones about that too.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did you watch the game?
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yes I did and it was not one of Irving's better games but everyone can have a bad game once and a while.

My point is Irving knows he had a bad game so what good is there in the coach making a point of it in the media, talk to him one on one and move on.

Before you ask I have played hockey before and I have had all kinds of coaches and I would rather play for a coach that talked to me rather than one that talked to the media.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameester View Post
Yes I did and it was not one of Irving's better games but everyone can have a bad game once and a while.

My point is Irving knows he had a bad game so what good is there in the coach making a point of it in the media, talk to him one on one and move on.

Before you ask I have played hockey before and I have had all kinds of coaches and I would rather play for a coach that talked to me rather than one that talked to the media.
But you also have no idea what Playfair and Irvings relationship is like.

When he is playing well, Playfair points it out. When he plays like crap, Playfair points it out. I have no issue with it. You can bet Playfair talked to him about it before he ever said anything in the media.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey, remember the Hulking Playfair, well this coach did one better.

hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Heat are the second lowest scoring team in the AHL. That could have something to do with Playfair. It could also have something to do with the fact that they are the youngest team in the AHL. It could also have something to do with the fact that we truly don't have many offensive prospects in the AHL (except Nemisz, Wahl, Stone, etc.)

The fact is, we don't truly know how these rookies will progress, and we don't know if it's all Playfair's fault.

I do know one thing for sure. A clear majority of Heat season ticket holders want Playfair gone.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That's interesting Pierre here in Calgary many think he is a great teacher and coach.

Why do the season ticket holders not like him?

He seems to be doing okay with a young inexperienced team. The Heat are very streaky from what I have seen, they will win 4-5 in a row then lose 2-3-4.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

When the most skilled player on the team is a defenseman (Brodie) you know its the lack of scoring talent and not the coach that is the reason for the low goal scoring totals.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's interesting Pierre here in Calgary many think he is a great teacher and coach.

Why do the season ticket holders not like him?

He seems to be doing okay with a young inexperienced team. The Heat are very streaky from what I have seen, they will win 4-5 in a row then lose 2-3-4.
The season ticket holders here are disgusted mostly by three things: a) Playfair's attitude when the team has terrible games; b) Playfair's defense-only play book; and c) players hate playing for Playfair.

These are their words not mine.

In fact, I was speaking with one season ticket holder who claimed he is very good friends with a guy who is friends with Colin Stuart, JD Watt, Pete Vandermeer, and Jaffrey. He says that all four of these players hated to be in the dressing room when the team was losing and generally hated his coaching style and attitude.

Other than that comment, most season ticket holders I talk to hate how the Heat don't score very much and blame that largely on Playfair. Also, they hate when Playfair sometimes goes to the media and 'calls out' the entire team when they lose.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I heard that Playfair is done after this season. What do you think of Darryl Sutter coaching the Heat? haha.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
I heard that Playfair is done after this season. What do you think of Darryl Sutter coaching the Heat? haha.
Where did you hear that?
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haven't seen the Heat much this year but Playfair does a great job of developing young defensemen. If the heat are primarily a development team then he is probably the right guy. That being said, a defensive style coupled with a lack of flashy offensive players on the heat could make it hard for them to be successful as a business in Abbotsford.
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have heard several times about Playfair developing good youn Dmen.

My question is who are these Dmen that he has developed?

Pardy came up through the farm but I do not think Playfair was the coach (but I may be wrong).

Giordano was the same but left for Russia for a year so I don't think that Playfair had much to do with him.

Who else besides Ryan Wilson is playing in the NHL now that came from Abbotsford/Quad City.

Now Feaster has said they are looking for a 5-6 Dman but are going to do it through trade not from the Farm.

You would think someone from the Heat could fill that role.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have heard several times about Playfair developing good youn Dmen.

My question is who are these Dmen that he has developed?

Pardy came up through the farm but I do not think Playfair was the coach (but I may be wrong).

Giordano was the same but left for Russia for a year so I don't think that Playfair had much to do with him.

Who else besides Ryan Wilson is playing in the NHL now that came from Abbotsford/Quad City.

Now Feaster has said they are looking for a 5-6 Dman but are going to do it through trade not from the Farm.

You would think someone from the Heat could fill that role.
I'm pretty sure he worked with the Doors in the AHL. He's also gotten cud dos for his work with the big teams defence and their system. Giordano and Pardy didn't stop developing as soon as they made the Flames.

Also our top defensive prospects are too inexperienced for a playoff run right now.

Last edited by Vulcan; 02-25-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If Pelech and Baldwin are not ready now then when are they going to be ready?

Both get premium minutes for the Heat and are playing well.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If Pelech and Baldwin are not ready now then when are they going to be ready?

Both get premium minutes for the Heat and are playing well.
Oh, they probably could, but both have a pretty good chance of being plucked off of waivers.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Heat with another great effort under Playfair tonight.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #19
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Oh, they probably could, but both have a pretty good chance of being plucked off of waivers.
Neither would have to clear waivers to be recalled. They either cleared at the beginning of the season or were waiver ineligible. Pelech is for sure waiver eligible.

We could recall them up and keep them up for less than 10 games or a month and still be able to send them down without ever having to waive them.

Indications from the coaching staff are that Breen has actually passed both. He definitely looked the most polished to me at that Heat-Barons game at the Dome. Doubt he'd be waiver eligible yet.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would argue that if Breen has passed Pelech on the depth chart, then Pelech's chances in the organization are done. We've been waiting a few years for the guy to take the next step and make the team, but he's been on the cusp now and can't stay healthy.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote