Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #121
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Friedman: Flames maybe one of the teams interested in Duchene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Homerism in this thread is off the charts...not dealing Valimaki or Bennett or Brodie...Brodie is the only one I can see them being hesitant about the other two? you take it and run.

I disagree, greatly. Bennett is not a home run for Duchene, you're overvaluing Duchene/undervaluing Bennett.

Duchene is what he is - a one-dimensional offensive winger who has struggled in recent years. I like Duchene, but I like what Bennett is developing into a lot more.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #122
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Homerism in this thread is off the charts...not dealing Valimaki or Bennett or Brodie...Brodie is the only one I can see them being hesitant about the other two? you take it and run.
Disagree. I think Bennett has a good chance to end up as a better player than Duchene. And given their ages and contract situations and where the Flames are in their life cycle Bennett is the more desirable of the two.

I mean to me you're either overrating Duchene or underrating Bennet's upside and potential. Take your pick

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-13-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #123
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Disagree. I think Bennett has a good chance to end up as a better player than Duchene. And given their ages and contract situations and where the Flames are in their life cycle Bennett is the more desirable of the two.

I mean to me you're either overrating Duchene or underrating Bennett. Take your pick
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #124
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene had 67 points as a 19 year old. Bennett had 26 points as a 20 year old.
I just don't think they're close in terms of overall potential or offensive talent.
Bennett has more dimensions to his game, but Duchene has always been far better offensively.

Duchene is a UFA in 2 years, so he's somewhat of a long term rental. I don't think the Flames are cup contenders, so using Bennett to acquire Duchene would not make much sense. Since Bennett is far younger and cheaper, so I do think he has more trade value. There is no reason to trade Bennett.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #125
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Disagree. Adding Duchene absolutely would make the team a cup contender.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #126
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Duchene had 67 points as a 19 year old. Bennett had 26 points as a 20 year old.
I just don't think they're close in terms of overall potential or offensive talent.
Bennett has more dimensions to his game, but Duchene has always been far better offensively.

Duchene is a UFA in 2 years, so he's somewhat of a long term rental. I don't think the Flames are cup contenders, so using Bennett to acquire Duchene would not make much sense. Since Bennett is far younger and cheaper, so I do think he has more trade value. There is no reason to trade Bennett.
Sam bennett had 36 points as a 19 year old. Duchene had 41 points as a 26 year old...

Sorry but you cant cherry pick the stats you like to prove your point.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #127
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving doesn't strike me as a guy who would blink at trading potential (Bennett) for a player he covets.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #128
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Treliving doesn't strike me as a guy who would blink at trading potential (Bennett) for a player he covets.

On the flip side, Treliving doesn't strike me as a guy who would make such a short sighted, cap-structure altering trade in moving Bennett for Duchene.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #129
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Colorados ask is Bennett+Brodie+stoopid things

My answer is "Have a nice day"!!

Duchesne will not be a Flame.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #130
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Sam bennett had 36 points as a 19 year old. Duchene had 41 points as a 26 year old...

Sorry but you cant cherry pick the stats you like to prove your point.
Duchene also played top line/top PP minutes with Stastny and Hejduk, Bennett got Brouwer and Versteeg and very little PP time.

Duchene is a notorious one zone worker, he's not a good fit for the flames at any price given his bloated $6m contract
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #131
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Try to think about it from COL's perspective.
COL's perspective might help us evaluate offers but unless they're going to hang on to him themselves, what they're going to take is what the buyers decide.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #132
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big thing to consider here is the number of draft picks Treliving has burned through in recent deals. The system is going to take a massive hit in in the next two years, so there is no way this team can afford to start throwing around young cost controlled players for more expensive players on short term deals. They just can't, unless they plan on going through a rebuild that will be Oileresque in stature. You win with depth, and a full pipeline of young players is what provides that depth. There is no way Treliving starts tossing away players like Bennett, Jankowski, or any of the defense men for a short term solution, when they are going to provide the depth needed to compete.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 07-14-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #133
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Homerism = sell out on promising prospect that is 21 years old that is turning into a guy that can score and has more to do beyond just points. Got it.

I would take 4 years of Bennett (until UFA) over 2 years of Duchene. I like Duchene a lot too.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #134
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
A big thing to consider here is the number of draft picks Treliving has burned through in recent deals. The system is going to take a massive hit in in the next two years, so there is no way this team can afford to start throwing around young cost controlled players for more expensive players on short term deals. They just can't, unless they plan on going through a rebuild that will be Oileresque in stature. You win with depth, and a full pipeline of young players is what provides that depth. There is no way Treliving starts tossing away players like Bennett, Jankowski, or any of the defense men for a short term solution, when they are going to provide the depth needed to compete.
This is only true if Treliving is unable to sign UFA College Players(Free Draft Picks) or is able to recoup a few draft picks in dealing veteran players in the offseason(s).

There are many ways to stock the prospect cupboard other than the Draft. Yes it may not be the easiest or best way, but it is possible.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #135
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Duchene may have been great at one time but he isn't anymore ... Colorado reminds me of Edmonton... you don't know how badly the culture has engrained itself in players from these teams.. You run the risk of infecting our own team bringing him in... I think Mackinnon might still be salvageable but that's it
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #136
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Duchene may have been great at one time but he isn't anymore ... Colorado reminds me of Edmonton... you don't know how badly the culture has engrained itself in players from these teams.. You run the risk of infecting our own team bringing him in... I think Mackinnon might still be salvageable but that's it
Way to early to write off that type of player in my opinion.

I bet, lots of teams are trying to acquire Duchene.

Asking price is probably really high.......
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #137
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post

Why is MacKinnon salvageable but not Duchene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #138
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't doubt that Duchene has pretty good potential to be a decent player with the Flames.

But he's been trending the wrong way for a bit now, and that concerns me about a player who should be in his prime years, and is signed for only 2 more years should he rebound.

If the cost includes Bennett or Brodie, I pass on it.

If there is a huge demand for Duchene, then I don't enter that type of bidding. I don't want the Flames to be the team that outbids everyone else, as I don't covet him all that much.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #139
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
This is only true if Treliving is unable to sign UFA College Players(Free Draft Picks) or is able to recoup a few draft picks in dealing veteran players in the offseason(s).

There are many ways to stock the prospect cupboard other than the Draft. Yes it may not be the easiest or best way, but it is possible.
College free agents are rarely a replacement for players drafted in the first three rounds. A team going for it is also rarely going to be trading vets, unless they are dumping salary.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #140
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Brouwer has a full NTC this season and he likely has zero motivation to waive it for the Avalanche of all teams.
Would it be possible to simply place him on waivers with the under the table agreement that Colorado claims him?
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote