Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #1221
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Thought all of Aryas scenes were horrible and poorly written. Seriously we had Robert Baratheon get killed by the infection from a boar wound and Khal Drogo killed by infection on what amounted to a knick across the chest (realistic) and then we have Arya crazy stabbed several times in the gut with a knife twist and somehow she has no infection after she takes a swim in dirty dirty Bravoosi water? Somehow a self-taught stabby actress can heal wounds better than modern medicine?

On top of that while she is running away from T-1000 she jumps off a third story balcony, rolls down five flights of stairs and can still somehow fight? And the faceless men are just going to let Arya go now? What was the point of the last three seasons?
I couldn't help but laugh at the part where she kept rolling down the stairs and taking the baskets of fruit out with her. All the people kept sighing and going "awww man" every time she took out another basket. Then at the end of it, not one person checked on her. They were all worried about their fruit. I hope that part was meant to be goofy, because it was pretty bad if it wasn't.

I am guessing the whole point of this Arya side-story is that she is going to play an assassin's roll and they needed to show us how she got the training.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #1222
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I couldn't help but laugh at the part where she kept rolling down the stairs and taking the baskets of fruit out with her. All the people kept sighing and going "awww man" every time she took out another basket. Then at the end of it, not one person checked on her. They were all worried about their fruit. I hope that part was meant to be goofy, because it was pretty bad if it wasn't.

I am guessing the whole point of this Arya side-story is that she is going to play an assassin's roll and they needed to show us how she got the training.
I kept on waiting for her intestines to spill out because of the massive gaping wound she had in her abdomen from the multiple stabs and knife twist. Even if she was stitched up that would have all ripped with the crazy parkour she was trying. She should have died.

That whole scene was just hokey, especially after all the merchants were more worried about their fruit than Arya and none of them ran away. It's almost like people get run down and killed there on a weekly basis.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #1223
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope she drank the water at the faceless men place and healed herself up after the battle. Otherwise she'll die on the voyage to westeros and they'll toss her body overboard.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #1224
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arya Plot Armour +1

I thought this episode was disappointing.

Off screen death for Blackfish. High Sparrow's henchman back off after the mountain rips that guy's head off. Hound's revenge tour cut way shorter than hoped. Arya's arc culminating how expected, but in retrospect probably taking much too long for the level of payoff. Varys leaving? More "oh here's badass Dany" but in cliffhanger mode.

I am glad it just ended up being Arya being stabbed though, and not some of the silly theories out there.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #1225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like the blood drops lead past the fountain, the specifically frame the shot to show it. So I'd suspect that she has indulged.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #1226
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the theories were better than how it was actually written. A gut wound like that would be fatal in medieval times. Having the actress patch her up was goofy considering Arya should have a perforated bowel and slowly die of sepsis.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #1227
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jaqen H'hgar disguising himself as Arya and letting himself possibly be killed to test the Waif is more ridiculous than anything that happened this week.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #1228
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So Jamie letting Brienne go was kind of cool, I like the bond those two have. She brings out whatever tiny shred of good is left in Jamie. I did like Edmure's speech about how do you sleep at night then he goes and hands his families entire history over to the Lannisters to save a baby he has never even met and for that matter doesn't even know if it exists. They've said it is real, but is it? You are taking the word of the Lannisters and Freys? He had a chance to make a stand in that castle and send a message with men who were literally loyal to a fault. I guess he has always been a coward.

I can't really find much else I liked or found intriguing about that episode. I just hope Ayra Connor is able to stay alive to lead the resistance in Westeros to fight back the evil White Walker Machines.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #1229
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Could have done without the hero arrival of Danny on Dragon, even though she looks super cute in her Dothraki garb.

Speaking of cute. Drunk giggly Missandei is best Missandei. The Hounds scene and this were the best of the episodes. Beyond these it was mostly disappointing.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #1230
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could have bought it being Jaqen dying after he owed Arya his death. The waif test angle made no sense to me either. That whole story line made no sense overall. I thought she couldn't leave after committing to the faceless men, but he lets her go after killing the Waif.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #1231
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I could have bought it being Jaqen dying after he owed Arya his death. The waif test angle made no sense to me either. That whole story line made no sense overall. I thought she couldn't leave after committing to the faceless men, but he lets her go after killing the Waif.
He let her go because he likely knew from the start that she was never going to be a Faceless man. That's why he had the smirk when she said "I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell and I'm going home".
Old 06-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #1232
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Arya's story-line the last 2 episodes has had terrible writing, however, everything else seems good (Blackfish dying seemed more of just not wanting to juggle another Actor onset -otherwise go help Sansa you twit).

Arya acts totally not like herself to get stabbed in the gut (careless), runs laps around the city as she is healing and takes on the Waif because the Waif can't fight in the dark better then Arya as Arya was blind for a couple weeks? The Waif has most likely had years and years of combat training, and the blind factor seemed like a Faceless men right of passage.

Faceless-men then just say "ok, you can go and be a Stark", because, why?

Saving grace would maybe be that this is the most complicated trap ever set-up by Arya to get the Waif in the chamber with Needle... but that is possibly worse writing?

/Dumb rant.
No kidding. How much time did they spend developing her character as a faceless man, and then boom, I want to be a Stark? What a waste of time.

Also, she gets stabbed multiple times in the gut and basically easily survives? Terrible writing to say the least.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #1233
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
And what the crap is with the Tully soldiers? They were under siege for years. Captured Lord shows up after and he can just order everyone to surrender under duress?

Edmure is such a useless coward too. You going to give up your entire castle, lands/titles, and condemn all your subjects/soldiers families because Jamie Lannister is threatening to kill your child? This is a kid you've never met before and whose grandfather murdered a bunch of your troops and family. Almost Dorne levels of bad writing. Such a waste, could have been done so much better.
Does he even know his kid is alive?

Also, if you go back to season 3 when Edmure's father died and he had to shoot the arrow to ignite the raft he was on, Edmure missed 3x IIRC, and Blackfish pushed him out of the way to hit it. Obviously no love lost between the two of them. Plus, Blackfish didn't seem to care about Edmure when the Frey's threatened to kill him if he didn't give up Riverrun.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #1234
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No kidding. How much time did they spend developing her character as a faceless man, and then boom, I want to be a Stark? What a waste of time.

Also, she gets stabbed multiple times in the gut and basically easily survives? Terrible writing to say the least.
I think this sells the whole arc short. From the start of the show she didn't want to be a princess. She wanted to fight with the boys. So Ned started having her trained. She has been in denial of her Stark heritage from season 1 onward. Hell bent on revenge over the people who have wronged her. This season she could become an assassin righting the wronged via the faceless man or she could stake a claim to her heritage.

The last bit of execution was sloppy but overall the Arya arc has been internally consistent and showed a realization and change it what motivates her.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #1235
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't mind Arya's final day in Braavos (aside from maybe the Wolverine-like healing factor of both her gut and legs). but I really really wanted her to meet up with Syrio again.

and don't try to tell me he's dead. if the Hound can survive several days festering in the wild with no long term effects, certainly the First Sword of Braavos can live through a brawl with crappy Meryn Trant. just like he told Arya, what do you say when death comes knocking? Not today!
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #1236
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Does he even know his kid is alive?

Also, if you go back to season 3 when Edmure's father died and he had to shoot the arrow to ignite the raft he was on, Edmure missed 3x IIRC, and Blackfish pushed him out of the way to hit it. Obviously no love lost between the two of them. Plus, Blackfish didn't seem to care about Edmure when the Frey's threatened to kill him if he didn't give up Riverrun.
No he doesn't. According to him, he got locked up right after his wedding night and he has it on the words for the Freys and Jamie that he has a kid.

Blackfish is saying Edmure is dead anyways not that he doesn't care about Edmure. Open the gates because Edmure is threatened, Edmure gets executed by the Freys later on once his usefulness is up. Keep the gates closed and Edmure gets this throat cut by the Freys, same result except the Tully soldiers live for awhile longer. More likely Blackfish sized up the Freys and didn't think he would kill Edmure.

Now you have Edmure a prisoner in his own home, all of his lands, titles and fortresses surrendered to the Freys, who killed a host of his house's men at the red wedding, likely all of the Tully soldiers prisoner or exiled, his uncle killed by his own men, all for a Frey girl and a child Edmure himself has not seen and cannot confirm exists.

He goes straight back to being a hostage and prisoner to prevent any of the other area houses from rising up against the Freys. Literally he had nothing to gain from it and everything to lose. Edmure never got to talk to Brienne either so he has zero insight onto anything else happening in the North.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #1237
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think this sells the whole arc short. From the start of the show she didn't want to be a princess. She wanted to fight with the boys. So Ned started having her trained. She has been in denial of her Stark heritage from season 1 onward. Hell bent on revenge over the people who have wronged her. This season she could become an assassin righting the wronged via the faceless man or she could stake a claim to her heritage.

The last bit of execution was sloppy but overall the Arya arc has been internally consistent and showed a realization and change it what motivates her.
I also don't think we've seen the last of the faceless men. There motivations seems strange if they are simplistic as just being paid assassins who are slaves to the will of the many face god.

Why did they seek Arya out in the first place if that was their game? Given Jaqen's skill it seems very strange that he was captured in King's Landing the way he was. Clearly they're up to something and are choosing to be involved in Arya's storyline and the bigger Game of Thrones storyline as a whole.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #1238
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It felt like the whole episode with arya being injured etc was unnecessary.

She goes to sleep in the dark room with the stones and a whole episode goes by and then we're right back into a dark room with stones.

Most of the episode was a dissapointment. I am glad this Arya storyline is coming to an end even though it was mostly promising up until the last two episodes.

I wonder if they just sort of got trapped with Arya but couldn't write her and the faceless men out of the show like they did with say Rickon or the Blackfish. Now that all the other storylines have progressed they can now bring her back.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #1239
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I didn't mind Arya's final day in Braavos (aside from maybe the Wolverine-like healing factor of both her gut and legs). but I really really wanted her to meet up with Syrio again.

and don't try to tell me he's dead. if the Hound can survive several days festering in the wild with no long term effects, certainly the First Sword of Braavos can live through a brawl with crappy Meryn Trant. just like he told Arya, what do you say when death comes knocking? Not today!
Can't remember the scene, but I think it was like 3vs1....

But it would be amazing if he were to be alive, but I doubt it
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #1240
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No he doesn't. According to him, he got locked up right after his wedding night and he has it on the words for the Freys and Jamie that he has a kid.

Blackfish is saying Edmure is dead anyways not that he doesn't care about Edmure. Open the gates because Edmure is threatened, Edmure gets executed by the Freys later on once his usefulness is up. Keep the gates closed and Edmure gets this throat cut by the Freys, same result except the Tully soldiers live for awhile longer. More likely Blackfish sized up the Freys and didn't think he would kill Edmure.

Now you have Edmure a prisoner in his own home, all of his lands, titles and fortresses surrendered to the Freys, who killed a host of his house's men at the red wedding, likely all of the Tully soldiers prisoner or exiled, his uncle killed by his own men, all for a Frey girl and a child Edmure himself has not seen and cannot confirm exists.

He goes straight back to being a hostage and prisoner to prevent any of the other area houses from rising up against the Freys. Literally he had nothing to gain from it and everything to lose. Edmure never got to talk to Brienne either so he has zero insight onto anything else happening in the North.
How do you think Jamie talked him into it and why do you think Jamie referenced his love for his sister and Edmuire's for Caitlin? I'm sure he told Edmuire about the letter from Sansa and he's marching north
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote