Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #1581
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How much would it cost to get somebody to run a c-wire for a smart thermostat installation?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #1582
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
How much would it cost to get somebody to run a c-wire for a smart thermostat installation?
pretty easy job probably 2 hours max charge. fish the wire down to furnace and hook up. Just had a friend do this for me.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #1583
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have a "C" wire, and instead used the Fast Stat Common Maker which I bought on Amazon for $45. It let me get my smart themostat setup in 25 minutes. You can view the product here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #1584
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Newer homes may have wire bundles about a foot or two down. I've heard quotes around $200 for inspection, wire pulling and hooking up the thermostat are not uncommon. At that price, does it make sense to risk a DIY?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #1585
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is sort of tangential, but a question about a large coach house. I have a remote spot in BC that's pretty big (multiple acres) but owing to zoning can only have a single dwelling house on it, which it already has. But apparently, I'm also about to be allowed to build a second, guest-house-cabin sort of thing on the property, provided it doesn't exceed 1200 square feet. I want to do that relatively cheaply (without financing it), so I was looking at modular builders like this:

http://www.knottypinecabins.ca/

It's basically a home kit. Anyone have any experience with these sorts of builds? Some lessons learned would be nice from anyone who's gone through with something like that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #1586
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I don't have a "C" wire, and instead used the Fast Stat Common Maker which I bought on Amazon for $45. It let me get my smart themostat setup in 25 minutes. You can view the product here.

I did this as well, not very hard.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #1587
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is sort of tangential, but a question about a large coach house. I have a remote spot in BC that's pretty big (multiple acres) but owing to zoning can only have a single dwelling house on it, which it already has. But apparently, I'm also about to be allowed to build a second, guest-house-cabin sort of thing on the property, provided it doesn't exceed 1200 square feet. I want to do that relatively cheaply (without financing it), so I was looking at modular builders like this:

It's basically a home kit. Anyone have any experience with these sorts of builds? Some lessons learned would be nice from anyone who's gone through with something like that.
Prefab or modular stuff usually isn't any cheaper than traditional construction and is often more expensive. That said, if it's a really remote site and the labor costs of traditional construction would extremely high, or if it's a situation where prefab means you can assemble it yourself vs. paying a contractor to build, then you might save a bit.

But with these kinds of things you're really only saving labor on the framing and probably a little on the siding and roofing. You'd still need someone to do excavation, some sort of foundation, assemble the structure, install doors and windows, do electrical and plumbing, install HVAC, install the roof, do the finish carpentry and cabinetry, etc. That's still a lot of trades. It's not like full prefab, where they basically deliver a finished structure and you only need about a week or two of work to finish it off.

So really, you'd need to compare the cost of the package (looks like $80-100 per square foot once you add in doors, windows, and insulation etc.) to a similarly finished traditional structure. Material wise it's not even close. A framing, roofing, siding, door/window, insulation, and drywall package for a house is usually in the $25-35 a square foot range. So the question is will the labor savings make up for that.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #1588
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to know.

It's not a very remote site, except that you have to take a ferry to get there. So the transport costs for materials will, presumably, be high. I'm just trying to get a structure up sooner rather than later for a more or less reasonable cost and it's proving to be somewhat unfeasible unfortunately.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #1589
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear Midfield trailer park might be having some clearance sales...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #1590
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Problem solved

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL...Sm8AlZyD3nQdBA

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #1591
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know.

It's not a very remote site, except that you have to take a ferry to get there. So the transport costs for materials will, presumably, be high. I'm just trying to get a structure up sooner rather than later for a more or less reasonable cost and it's proving to be somewhat unfeasible unfortunately.
Might not work for your current situation, but I have a cabin in Northern Saskatchewan that needs replacing in 5 years or so.

My brothers and I intend to get a garage package delivered up there and put that up, then make some interior modifications to it (add walls and windows, as well as a central wood stove for heat).

Not sure if you plan to do the construction yourself (we do), but this can offer pretty substantial savings, so long as the end result fits with your requirements.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #1592
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
My brothers and I intend to get a garage package delivered up there and put that up, then make some interior modifications to it (add walls and windows, as well as a central wood stove for heat).
Definitely a really good idea, but probably a bit too far to the low budget end. I'm probably looking at spending more than $100k and less than $200k, if I can make that work on a 1200 square foot structure (which doesn't have to be finished all at once). But I'm definitely trying to end up with something that I'm going to enjoy spending a bunch of time in. It rains a lot out on the coast so you inevitably are inside quite a lot, and the spot I've got picked has an ocean view, so yeah, lots of windows.

The excavation and landscaping stuff isn't a big deal, site's pretty clear and I can do a bunch of prep work myself but would likely be hiring trades for much of the actual construction and electrical / plumbing.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #1593
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely a really good idea, but probably a bit too far to the low budget end. I'm probably looking at spending more than $100k and less than $200k, if I can make that work on a 1200 square foot structure (which doesn't have to be finished all at once). But I'm definitely trying to end up with something that I'm going to enjoy spending a bunch of time in. It rains a lot out on the coast so you inevitably are inside quite a lot, and the spot I've got picked has an ocean view, so yeah, lots of windows.

The excavation and landscaping stuff isn't a big deal, site's pretty clear and I can do a bunch of prep work myself but would likely be hiring trades for much of the actual construction and electrical / plumbing.
Sounds awesome. Definitely above our price range. We have this as a place we spend a couple of weeks at per year, so not willing to put more than $25k into it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #1594
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Could look into Karoleena http://karoleena.com/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle31078003/
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #1595
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Page says they start at $450,000... yikes.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #1596
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Page says they start at $450,000... yikes.
Where did you find that?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #1597
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Where did you find that?
http://karoleena.com/contact/general-inquiries/
Old 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #1598
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh wow, that's a much pricier minimum than I thought it would be.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #1599
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you can track down the plans to this, its an easy build it yourself.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...s-I-don-t-even
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
V
Old 12-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #1600
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Build a Yurta...

http://yurta.ca/pricing/