Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here we go! I will miss this show

Last edited by Nammer403; 05-17-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Nammer403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #22
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've watched Mad Men from day one, and constantly list it amongst my favorites.

However, I've always felt like I wasn't catching at least 30% of the subtext, themes, etc.

Tonight was no different. Enjoyed the episode and all of the wrapping up, but will look forward to one of he episode recaps I follow to have it explained to me.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #23
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Stan/Peggy scene was the happiest this show has ever made me. Happy endings all around. Show went a little astray in seasons 5/6, but 7 was really good.

I'm a little sad. I'm really going to miss a lot of these characters.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There are multiple ways to interpret the ending (Wiener Soprano'd us again) but I like to think Don used his hippie experience to go create possibly the most famous ad ever.

The rest of the episode was pretty anticlimactic. I didn't care about Stan and Peggy getting together. I wanted Sally to grow up and be someone awesome but the last shot was her washing dishes, like her mother. At least Joan will be successful (and do a lot of coke in the 80's).
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #25
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There are multiple ways to interpret the ending (Wiener Soprano'd us again) but I like to think Don used his hippie experience to go create possibly the most famous ad ever.
Yeah that's what I took from that too. McCann-Erickson did make that ad (thanks, Wikipedia!).

Quote:
The rest of the episode was pretty anticlimactic. I didn't care about Stan and Peggy getting together. I wanted Sally to grow up and be someone awesome but the last shot was her washing dishes, like her mother. At least Joan will be successful (and do a lot of coke in the 80's).
I thought the Stan/Peggy thing was kind of lame. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention or missed something, but did that come right out of the blue? It seemed like they were thinking "everyone loves Peggy, so let's do something nice for her at the end. What about her and Stan!?!".

I always rooted for Don, ####### that he was and all, but at the end I was thinking "come on man, the mother of your children is dying, quit whining and go home!".

Joan seemed to have "won" three or four times too. She's rich, now she's richer, now she has a rich boyfriend, now she doesn't have a rich boyfriend but she's better off for it, now she has a successful business... I know she had it rough sometimes, but come on!

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #26
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Yeah that's what I took from that too. McCann-Erickson did make that ad (thanks, Wikipedia!).
Yeah, and this pretty much seals it for me.

Spoiler!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #27
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

My 2 cents.

Spoiler!
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #28
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Coke Slogan: It's the real thing.

Don Draper at that Retreat: Dick Whitman.

The real thing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #29
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don found himself and stopped running away from his alter ego.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #30
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There are multiple ways to interpret the ending (Wiener Soprano'd us again) but I like to think Don used his hippie experience to go create possibly the most famous ad ever..
Honestly, I think that's the only way to interpret that ending. Don is Don, he's an ad-man, he's tried to be other things but he is what he is. He used that hippie experience to create one of the more famous and influential advertisements, for the company he always wanted to work for, Coke.

It was a great ending to just an okay episode. Though Roger as always kills it with great lines in every scene he was in.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #31
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I misinterpreted the end until I read this thread... I thought Peggy might of wrote the Coke ad and Don transformed himself again into someone else - leaving advertising behind and his old life behind. But now that I think about it, even though he recreates himself he never completely abandons his old lives so that makes sense. He runs away but comes back and this was just another excursion. Peggy writing the coke ad didn't tie in other than she mentioned Coke to Don and she was typing away at the end.

My prediction from a few years ago was that Don would jump from a high rise building and the ending would be like the intro to all the episodes. Then a couple episodes ago he's looking out the window at the Empire State Building with the sound of wind and totally thought it was foreshadowing. I thought it would be smart if the ending was there the whole time in plain site, but maybe it was too obvious and drastic.

I like the ending better now that I understand it and think about it a little more. There is so much critical thinking behind every episode and that is one thing that made it so great, and at the same time you can take everything at face value and it is still good. It was my favourite show and I will miss it.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #32
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Well I misinterpreted the end until I read this thread... I thought Peggy might of wrote the Coke ad and Don transformed himself again into someone else - leaving advertising behind and his old life behind. But now that I think about it, even though he recreates himself he never completely abandons his old lives so that makes sense. He runs away but comes back and this was just another excursion. Peggy writing the coke ad didn't tie in other than she mentioned Coke to Don and she was typing away at the end.

My prediction from a few years ago was that Don would jump from a high rise building and the ending would be like the intro to all the episodes. Then a couple episodes ago he's looking out the window at the Empire State Building with the sound of wind and totally thought it was foreshadowing. I thought it would be smart if the ending was there the whole time in plain site, but maybe it was too obvious and drastic.

I like the ending better now that I understand it and think about it a little more. There is so much critical thinking behind every episode and that is one thing that made it so great, and at the same time you can take everything at face value and it is still good. It was my favourite show and I will miss it.
I always thought that too. Then when Don was in the office at McCann, he went over to the window that appeared to be loose and pushed on it, I thought here we go!

I hated the ending when I first watched it but after some reflection, it's grown on me. Gonna miss that show.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #33
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He kind of did mimic the opening credits though ... just in totality and not so literally. He was a man in the high office tower, the world around him comes apart, he falls and in the end ends up right back where he started. The man in the credits doesn't die, he ends up back in the chair, in his suit, smoking his cigarette.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: