Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #861
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cannot quote Comix but Gulutzan sucked. Peters looked like a great hiring and it is too bad Sutter didn't want to come over in the summer.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #862
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a Bennett fan, and will be happy to see him succeed with the Panthers. Also realize it was probably time for a change and am happy with the return.

Curious thought. If Bennett goes on to have a stellar postseason with the Panthers, does that raise the value of any other of our core players we might decide to ship out in the off-season?

Like if teams see Bennett go off, do they look harder at Monahan or Gaudreau and think, hey what if they are in a similar position to Bennett and might increase in production once they’re removed from Calgary? Or is that not something that would even cross a GM’s mind?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #863
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
If Bennett goes on to have a stellar postseason with the Panthers, does that raise the value of any other of our core players we might decide to ship out in the off-season?

Like if teams see Bennett go off, do they look harder at Monahan or Gaudreau and think, hey what if they are in a similar position to Bennett and might increase in production once they’re removed from Calgary? Or is that not something that would even cross a GM’s mind?
Bennett (or Brodie) was(/were) already the Flames' best player in the postseason every year, so probably not.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #864
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This is a big thing that pisses me off. The coaching hires are indefensible.

Not only do I believe they screwed things up with Bennett - but I think they screwed up multiple other players. Monahan is an absolute liability at this stage. He’s ineffective on 195 feet of the ice. Tkachuk came into the league a bull, and now he’s...whatever the hell he is.

Hiring Gulutzan and Peters was a disaster. Hiring Ward though? That’s next level incompetence.

I wish Sutter would have been hired last off-season. I feel like so much would be different today.

The big thing for me is, other teams it looks like they are getting paid to play but the Flames for a long time looked like they played when felt like it. Too many players taking nights off and now as Sutter says they can't keep up with the NHL pace. It is explains a lot in terms of not being able to sustain any momentum in terms of stringing wins, back to backs, or in the playoffs.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #865
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Bennett (or Brodie) was(/were) already the Flames' best player in the postseason every year, so probably not.
Brodie was okay last year but terrible in the playoffs every other time. Disaster against Colorado.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #866
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Brodie was okay last year but terrible in the playoffs every other time. Disaster against Colorado.

Huh?

Brodie was our best player in 2015 postseason and the primary reason we beat the Canucks. He was less effective against the Ducks.. but he was also playing opposite a 3rd pair D in Engelland against Getzlaf and Perry in their prime.

Brodie was excellent against the Ducks in 2017, on a pairing with Stone. Also a point per game.

Brodie was solid in 2019 against Colorado. Our only defenseman who was hanging with MacKinnon while Hanifin, Giordano, Hamonic, Fantenberg, Andersson were embarassing themselves. Only Valimaki, in one or two games, was as good as Brodie, and that was in a 3rd pair role.

Brodie was solid against the Jets/Stars. Not his best playoff, but easily our best Dman in the playoffs.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #867
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

It was Hamonic and Hanifin that got buried
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #868
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

TF Benett do today 17 PMs?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #869
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think so. Brodie has consistently been our best defenseman in the playoffs, although it hasn’t been stiff competition.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #870
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fight with instigator and ten minute misconduct that goes along with that.

Panthers are a fun team to watch, play very exciting hockey
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #871
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes the Panthers have been fun to watch all year.

It’s nice to see Benny wearing a new lid at least. For years, he was one of few in the NHL wearing an Easton helmet, besides Benn. He Finally switched to the CCM bucket.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #872
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benny got a pretty nice goal tonight too.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #873
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I hadn’t heard that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:08 PM   #874
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of Neal on a hot streak to begin last season. Bennett is very mediocre and will be on their 4th line soon enough.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #875
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
well he got a goal
Old 04-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #876
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Happy for Bennett. Hope he keeps it up.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:23 PM   #877
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Happy for Bennett. Hope he keeps it up.

Me too. A lot of us are

There are some nutcases that still have axes to grind against him here though

It’s bizarre
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #878
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Me too. A lot of us are

There are some nutcases that still have axes to grind against him here though

It’s bizarre
People on both sides are going a little overboard if we are being honest. Players usually start hot on a new team.

Hall, Stall (OT Winner), Bennett, just to name a few from around the deadline

Takes years to determine a trade not two games...and there is a chance it works out for everyone, a good chance.

I was already suggested the Flames traded their #1 center.

Sam had 19 mins in penalties with the Flames and has 17 with the Panthers...he is obviously playing harder but how long can that style last?

Last edited by dino7c; 04-19-2021 at 10:43 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 PM   #879
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is funny to read some people's reactions here, as if they have some personal investment in Bennett.

My biggest eye roll is with posts with the theme of: "Flames vs Bennett - pick a side", or "cheer for the crest, not the player".

No, you cheer how you god damn want, and I will cheer how I god damn want, k?

I like Bennett as a player and as a person. I liked listening to his interview with Leslie on Instagram. I think he does have much more to give than he has shown so far in Calgary, and I also do think that Calgary mismanaged his development. I do not think he is going to blossom into a franchise centre any longer, as I have stated before, either his ceiling was never that high, or his stalled development has lowered his ceiling. I bet he will improve than what we have seen in Calgary, but he may also stay stagnant - or even worsen!

I just don't understand why I can't cheer for Bennett. I didn't realize that there is some rule book that states that I can't cheer for a player that I - as a fan - became emotionally invested in, and want to see become a very good player. Is my 'fandom' of a player somehow lessening my ability to be a Flames' fan? Is my 'fan points' going to be subtracted from my Flames' cheer metre, and moved to Bennett, thereby somehow making the Flames a worse team?

I feel sorry for the fans who will ONLY cheer for the team, not an individual player. You guys see it as being more 'mature' and sensible or something. I see it as limiting yourself. I am perfectly fine with cheering for who I want as I see fit, and you can trust me to be mature enough to not allow emotions stand in the way of my fandom points. I will just continue getting my enjoyment for cheering over a wide variety of things, rather than force myself into a grumpy old man box.

My cheering is not going to affect the Flames. It is not going to affect Bennett. Why must I conform to your own personal (and ass backwards, IMO) form of cheering? Please submit your list of things in this world I can or can not cheer for. Thanks.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:54 PM   #880
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^^

@dino7c

so somebody was essentially musing what if they ended up trading the better player

The way I read it, it was more of a self deprecating, ‘could you imagine’ post

Who knows? Maybe the 24 year old who bounced around the bottom 6 may have more to show. Backlund was pretty underwhelming until his mid 20s

For some reason, some people treat passing internet chit chat as nearly peer reviewed academic journal articles