Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #781
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Ferland is an interesting comparison. If you look at his career, he really didn't start to pull it together until his mid 20's. The next two years will be interesting to watch from Bennett. I'm betting he takes another step.
We've literally heard this every single year since he was 18 year old Sam Bennett.

He always proves this wrong.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #782
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I saw the Bennett highlights from the Lightning game.

He didn't do anything he wasn't already doing here (in a smaller sample). Happened to be on the ice for a couple goals that were largely generated by his linemates, made space to allow said plays as he usually does, and granted a more significant role.

Didn't morph into a 4th overall skilled superstar.

Colour me shocked that the "what if" talk is still happening here. The fat lady has finished her number, left the parking lot, driven home and gone to bed.

Bennett had a trillion opportunities to raise his game outside of just the playoffs, and a few more for good measure in just about every forward position and role imaginable. He was alright, but never showed a next gear.

Move the eff on.

Haha. Funny post

Move the eff on, indeed
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #783
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett's played over 400 games, he is what he is at this point.

What he is is capable of putting together good games. Just because he's traded doesn't mean he'll all of a sudden be a superstar. It doesn't mean people need to go all "I told ya so!" when he plays well. It doesn't all of a sudden mean people need to root against him either.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #784
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think people's expectations of Bennett correlates to their disappointment. Those thinking he was going to be or ever will be a superstar is ridiculous. Does he still have the opportunity to become a solid, hard checking top six and a valuable part of a successful team? I think so.
Time will tell. I'm going to enjoy watching him over the next couple of years to find out.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #785
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If anyone is interested, I did some searching and here is the link to the interview on Ryan Leslie's Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN0-MNwKC0W/?hl=en
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #786
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

y'know it's funny. Posters get #### on all the time for proudly supporting shortcomings of the team, but then in here there are a troop of people dead set on continuing to follow Bennett and loudly hoping he goes on to produce at a high level. Aren't these the same thing? Bennett now is just another player in the league to us. He was the club's highest ever draft pick and he couldn't do anything note worthy here- the healthiest thing would be to just forget about his time here. Wish him well, but otherwise who cares, he's just another centre on a team in florida.

Speculating about his new linemates, watching his every game, commenting on his highlights... Just seems like obsessing about an ex/ looking for more ways to #### on the team ( "Look at how good sam is if played in the right position!!! Our club is the one who failed him!" *insert spongebob caveman meme*)

Honestly, just let him go. Sam Bennett wasn't a good flame, he's not worthy of our continued thought.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #787
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

^I'd agree with most of that.

He's no longer a Flame asset, the return was greater than what most of us expected, and the return won't change if he finds it in Florida or remains what he's been in Calgary for the last six years.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #788
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

.... since when are only Flames assets discussed on this site? Dumb. I like other players in the league, I can’t be the only one who likes hockey before liking a team.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #789
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actively cheering for a player is not the same as actively cheering against the team. That’s a narrow and petty way to look at it. I’ve been a fan of Bennett and have preached that he needed both time and opportunity for a long time. Why should I stop rooting for him now? It seemed to me the real problem and the people who can’t let go are the ones who have and continue to hope he fails and he’s playing in Russia or the AHL in a year.
I’ll continue to root for him.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #790
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd agree -- it's okay to like and follow other players (especially those with a prior attachment to the team), and not just cheer for the laundry.

In this case, the guy was just traded and had a good first game on his new team. Seems more exciting than some of the hockey the Flames have played this year to be honest. The constant vitriol from some posters about Bennett is a little over the top though.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #791
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Actively cheering for a player is not the same as actively cheering against the team. That’s a narrow and petty way to look at it. I’ve been a fan of Bennett and have preached that he needed both time and opportunity for a long time. Why should I stop rooting for him now? It seemed to me the real problem and the people who can’t let go are the ones who have and continue to hope he fails and he’s playing in Russia or the AHL in a year.
I’ll continue to root for him.
Same. I will continue to root for him, and be excited about the return we got for moving on from him. I like both of these things.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #792
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:
Icon30

I love how hell bent some people are on hating #93 even though he's not here anymore.

Well...knock yourself out. If you need to stand in the middle of a burning bridge to prove your Full on crazy.....go for it.

Move on with your life though ....I mean really. ....or.go crawl back under the rock you live under.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #793
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Did you watch the game?
I did not, and I offered no opinion as to whether he was any good or not.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 04-19-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #794
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope he does well.

If he was traded to a team I hate it would be a different story but I can get behind a team like the Panthers.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #795
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett might do well in Florida. He very possibly could find that magic that he didn't find here. However, there was very little chance he'd ever find it if he was still playing for us.

We tried:
1) Changing his role
2) Changing his position
3) Changing his ice time
4) Changing his linemates
5) Changing his coach (several times)

Despite everything we tried, it just didn't work out the way we wanted and really the only option left for Sam was a change of scenery. I'm glad we received some assets in return.

Could we have maybe eased him into the NHL? Yes. I honestly don't know if that was the solution but we don't have a time machine to go back and redo it.

Sometimes both sides do better after a breakup and hopefully this is the case for us.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #796
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figure there’s nothing wrong with rooting for a guy you liked. It’s different and not even very accurate to turn that into an “I told you so”, and I don’t blame some people for reading that into at least some of these posts. It didn’t work with the Flames for whatever reason, and they did well for both sides to trade him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #797
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
y'know it's funny. Posters get #### on all the time for proudly supporting shortcomings of the team, but then in here there are a troop of people dead set on continuing to follow Bennett and loudly hoping he goes on to produce at a high level. Aren't these the same thing? Bennett now is just another player in the league to us. He was the club's highest ever draft pick and he couldn't do anything note worthy here- the healthiest thing would be to just forget about his time here. Wish him well, but otherwise who cares, he's just another centre on a team in florida.

Speculating about his new linemates, watching his every game, commenting on his highlights... Just seems like obsessing about an ex/ looking for more ways to #### on the team ( "Look at how good sam is if played in the right position!!! Our club is the one who failed him!" *insert spongebob caveman meme*)

Honestly, just let him go. Sam Bennett wasn't a good flame, he's not worthy of our continued thought.

Some people are still going to be interested in the player, and he will be posted about. You might as well learn to live with it

And if he’s not worthy of your personal thought, then you should have no trouble not posting about him

Good luck
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #798
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Some people are still going to be interested in the player, and he will be posted about. You might as well learn to live with it

And if he’s not worthy of your personal thought, then you should have no trouble not posting about him

Good luck
This remains as accurate as ever:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #799
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Bennett might do well in Florida. He very possibly could find that magic that he didn't find here. However, there was very little chance he'd ever find it if he was still playing for us.

We tried:
1) Changing his role
2) Changing his position
3) Changing his ice time
4) Changing his linemates
5) Changing his coach (several times)

Despite everything we tried, it just didn't work out the way we wanted and really the only option left for Sam was a change of scenery. I'm glad we received some assets in return.

Could we have maybe eased him into the NHL? Yes. I honestly don't know if that was the solution but we don't have a time machine to go back and redo it.

Sometimes both sides do better after a breakup and hopefully this is the case for us.
I think as long as he was playing behind Monahan, Lindholm, and Backlund, he never would have made it here. He was made redundant by three other mediocre middle six centers in their primes who had all proven more before he had ever even played a game in this league.

In Florida he's found himself a team that not only has a legit 1C in Barkov, but an actual need for a player like Sam Bennett down the middle in a secondary role.

I'm excited to hopefully see him break out, and that's got nothing to do with my feelings about the Calgary Flames. If we're comparing our team to theirs, the Flames suck because we don't have an Ekblad, a Barkov, or even a Huberdeau. All players drafted at a higher draft position than Sam Bennett.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #800
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland is an interesting comparison. If you look at his career, he really didn't start to pull it together until his mid 20's. The next two years will be interesting to watch from Bennett. I'm betting he takes another step.
I absolutely see no comparisons between the two players. Ferland was a power forward who stepped up. Just too bad he got concussed and banged up from how he played the game full on rather than float around.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote