Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #2841
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
After 6 years of floundering around in the Flames organization, Treliving finally hires a coach that may be able to tap into the potential of Sam Bennett.......and he ####ing trades him shortly thereafter.
LOL, the legend of Sam Bennett continues. The main words are "may be". If Sam Bennet was that good and he was what Sutter thinks he is, don't you think he would still be a Flames? I find it hilarious that Sam Bennett has now become a legend of all legends of the Calgary Flames. It's like super Mega threads upon super Mega thread for a player that's pretty much a FATA!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #2842
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
LOL, the legend of Sam Bennett continues. The main words are "may be". If Sam Bennet was that good and he was what Sutter thinks he is, don't you think he would still be a Flames? I find it hilarious that Sam Bennett has now become a legend of all legends of the Calgary Flames. It's like super Mega threads upon super Mega thread for a player that's pretty much a FATA!
https://www.nhl.com/news/florida-pan...st/c-324078438

Quote:
"One of the first things [Sutter] said to me (after he was traded) was I wish I had you longer," Bennett said. "Me and him had a really good relationship. I really liked playing for him. I believe he liked me as a player. Didn't really have him for too long but we had a good relationship.
Sutter isn't the GM though. Bennett likely got moved because of his trade request + expansion + his expiring contract
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #2843
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
and I am glad that Sutter is moving forward with patience. So far we've seen that Kylington has flashy skill and great skating, but he still has to prove that he is a dependable player both Offensively and Defensively. Before this preseason/one game he has not proven anything expect for that patience was the right choice.
The only way to prove it, is to be given an opportunity to prove it. Quennville gave an unproven Bennett a longer leash than anything he ever had here, and even now there remain doubters on whether he can sustain his performance.

Has Sutter given that opportunity to Kylington to prove it? That remains to be seen. Kylington WILL make mistakes. Tanev, Hanifin, and Andersson make mistakes too. And all four of them will have off-nights. A short leash can't be the default.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #2844
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The only way to prove it, is to be given an opportunity to prove it. Quennville gave an unproven Bennett a longer leash than anything he ever had here, and even now there remain doubters on whether he can sustain his performance.

Has Sutter given that opportunity to Kylington to prove it? That remains to be seen. Kylington WILL make mistakes. Tanev, Hanifin, and Andersson make mistakes too. And all four of them will have off-nights. A short leash can't be the default.
Obviously, because he almost certainly cant

Bennett was available to the entire league and 2 2nds was the best offer...which is decent but it seems the entire hockey world didn't consider him a PPG+ player. Nobody was willing to pay a 1st, and some pretty average players went for 1sts
Old 10-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #2845
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Bennett was available to the entire league and 2 2nds was the best offer...which is decent but it seems the entire hockey world didn't consider him a PPG+ player. Nobody was willing to pay a 1st, and some pretty average players went for 1sts

Yeah, sometimes lots of people can be wrong at the same time. Happens all the time.

Nobody expected him to sustain 1.5 points per game he was putting up last year

What he is, we will see, and all we know is that Calgary failed to capitalize on the asset

Kudos to Sam for betting on himself and on Zito and Q for finding and polishing that old chunk of coal
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #2846
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Bennett was available to the entire league and 2 2nds was the best offer...which is decent but it seems the entire hockey world didn't consider him a PPG+ player.
There is more to performance than points (and points themselves are a rather limited stat considering how they are defined and how much they depend on external factors.

When I say performance, I mean performing up to the level commensurate to the icetime Quennville has given to him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #2847
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The proper move for the Flames would have been to trade for Huberdeau, so Bennet could "turn" into a hockey player. Unfortunately, Huberdeau was not available for the Flames to acquire, so Bennett was never likely to turn into anything of value for the Flames. I know there a few fans who have boner for Bennett's production right now (a hattrick and single goal), but do you really believe this is sustainable? Zero assists to go along with his four goals? Pretty obvious outcome IMO. I might also point to the Bennettdictines, that Florida has a young kid by the name of Anton Lundell. How soon does he get bumped up from third line to second line, and Bennett slides down to 3rd line center? Do you honestly think he's going to continue his scoring without Hubereau?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #2848
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
His "two" points were about as Sam Bennett as you would expect. A secondary assist on a bump back to the point from the half wall, which resulted in a shot (going wide) that was tipped in. The other point was on a shot from the point that hit him in the pants and the puck went to Huberdeau for a wide open net. Same game he always plays but with some fortunate results. In the third period he got bailed out by his goaltender after some really shoddy board work and being soft on the puck. You're not going to see some huge transformation from the guy. Give him a season and see what he does, which is likely to be very similar as he performed in Calgary. He's not going to get smarter, or become a better passer, or develop an NHL level shot.
Quote A ^

Quote:
The proper move for the Flames would have been to trade for Huberdeau, so Bennet could "turn" into a hockey player. Unfortunately, Huberdeau was not available for the Flames to acquire, so Bennett was never likely to turn into anything of value for the Flames. I know there a few fans who have boner for Bennett's production right now (a hattrick and single goal), but do you really believe this is sustainable? Zero assists to go along with his four goals? Pretty obvious outcome IMO.

So adorable.

No, zero assists is not sustainable. Thankfully you described in Quote A how meaningless it would be if he did get assists, because you'd mental gymnastic out of acknowledging them. Even though he still has more assists as a Panther than he has goals.

But do tell how he scored four goals without an NHL level shot and no smarts.

Quote:
I might also point to the Bennettdictines, that Florida has a young kid by the name of Anton Lundell. How soon does he get bumped up from third line to second line, and Bennett slides down to 3rd line center?
You're the expert! Tell how soon!! None of us are smart enough to see Bennett for the 28 point player he really is, but you are! Give us the timeline! Then we can bookmark it!

Quote:
Do you honestly think he's going to continue his scoring without Hubereau?
Literally an argument that could be made about every player in the league. Of course players' point productions benefit from good linemates / powerplaymates. Huberdeau has an assist on two of Vennett's four goals this year. One of those two is a wraparound goal Bennett scored. The other one is a wrister Bennett scored from the top of the slot where Huberdeau picked up a secondary assist, Huberdeau's actual pass to Ekblad before Ekblad gets it to Bennett isn't even on the highlight.

Do you honestly think McDavid's going to continue his scoring pace without Draisaitl? Because he has 11 points and Draisaitl was in on 6 of them.

Do you honestly think Ovechkin's going to continue his scoring without Backstrom and Kuznetsov? Because the greatest goalscorer of all time has still had some sweet passers centering him.

Do you honestly think Lindholm's going to continue his scoring without Gaudreau AND Tkachuk? Because all three of his goals have been elite setups by one or thd other or both.

Do you honestly think Point's going to continue his scoring without Kucherov? Actually we have the precedent right here - 92 in 79 with Kucherov, 48 in 56 without kucherov last year (but still some fantastic teammates and powerplaymates). So yeah, it's almost as if playing with great teammates inflates production. And no one argued otherwise, contrary to your assertion.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-22-2021 at 05:14 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #2849
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

The simple fact is. Aside from showing flashes in Calgary, he is an epic bust. If he can resurrect his career there. Good for him ����
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #2850
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You're the expert! Tell how soon!! None of us are smart enough to see Bennett for the 28 point player he really is, but you are! Give us the timeline! Then we can bookmark it!
I would suspect some time this season. You don't tie a young skilled player, that is actually producing, to the the third line. Lundell is a great young talent and needs to play with better players. The transition is very likely to take pace this season. And once that does, Sam Bennett's production falls off the edge of the earth. Go ahead. Check how many points Samwise has with Huberdeau being on the scoresheet. You can count them on one hand. You can't do it the other way. Huberdeau scores regardless of his linemates. HE makes his linemates better. Bennett? Not so much. There is a reason why Bennett's production skyrocketted when paired with Huberdeau, and Huberdeau's stayed pretty consistent. Move Lindell next to Huberdeau and you have a line very difficult to defend against. Bennett? He becomes a forgotten player.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #2851
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would suspect some time this season. You don't tie a young skilled player, that is actually producing, to the the third line. Lundell is a great young talent and needs to play with better players. The transition is very likely to take pace this season. And once that does, Sam Bennett's production falls off the edge of the earth. Go ahead. Check how many points Samwise has with Huberdeau being on the scoresheet. You can count them on one hand. You can't do it the other way. Huberdeau scores regardless of his linemates. HE makes his linemates better. Bennett? Not so much. There is a reason why Bennett's production skyrocketted when paired with Huberdeau, and Huberdeau's stayed pretty consistent. Move Lindell next to Huberdeau and you have a line very difficult to defend against. Bennett? He becomes a forgotten player.
Haha. The Flames literally did this to Bennett after his rookie season.

The thing that baffles me is you’re a Monahan fan yet condemn Bennett because he produces with Huberdeau. You think the Bennett/Huberdeau line has been easy to defend?

He’s clearly not forgotten, and your take is just wrong.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #2852
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Flash passed away?
Oh, no! Just not around these parts anymore. Sorry if I worried you!
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #2853
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Very little chance Huberdeau-Bennett-Tippett gets dismantled when Bennett is producing. Tippett is the one who may start feeling the pressure if he doesn't start putting up points soon. Also why isn't Tippett scoring with Huberdeau if he can elevate everyone he plays with? I swear there should also be a thread called "the legend of Jonathan Huberdeau" with the way people talk about him lol.

I think they'll just get better, Huby is notoriously slow starter and hasn't been very noticeable so far. Also the argument that Bennett doesn't have any assists- he is the only one scoring on that line! Neither Huberdeau or Tippett have been finishing their chances. I'm sure once Huberdeau gets going like he always does Bennett will get his assists.

Also Lundell is playing with Reinhart so it's not like he's being held back.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #2854
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would suspect some time this season. You don't tie a young skilled player, that is actually producing, to the the third line.
But you do demote a relatively young, skilled vet, that is actually producing, to the third line. Gotcha.

Quote:
Lundell is a great young talent and needs to play with better players.
Samson Reinhart isn't a sufficient 2nd wheel for a rookie? Do elaborate.

Quote:
The transition is very likely to take pace this season.
I shall quote you on that.

Quote:
And once that does, Sam Bennett's production falls off the edge of the earth.
So just to clarify, you are saying Sam Bennett's production falls off the edge of the Earth after Quennville arbitrarily demotes him from a successful and potent line, not before.

Quote:
Go ahead. Check how many points Samwise has with Huberdeau being on the scoresheet. You can count them on one hand. You can't do it the other way.

Maybe because Alexander Barkov often plays with Huberdeau? Or does that little piece of info not fit your narrative?

Since the trade Bennett has 23 points in 19 games.
Huberdeau has a point on 16 of them.
Excluding the above 16 Barkov has a point on 0 of them.
So that's 7 points in 19 games without Huberdeau or Barkov.

Since the trade Huberdeau has 30 points in 20 games Bennett has a point on 16 of them.
Excluding the above 16?
Barkov has a point on 6
So that's 8 points in 20 games without Bennett or Barkov

Quote:
Huberdeau scores regardless of his linemates. HE makes his linemates better.
As long as you conveniently omit the fact that Alexander Barkov is really ####ing good at hockey.

Quote:
Bennett? Not so much.
Coach Q seems to disagree.

Quote:
There is a reason why Bennett's production skyrocketted when paired with Huberdeau, and Huberdeau's stayed pretty consistent.
No argument there.

Bottom 6 icetime on a shallow team at the wrong position to a virtually top line role at natural position

versus

virtually top line role at normal position to virtually top line role at normal position

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the reason.

Quote:
Move Lindell next to Huberdeau and you have a line very difficult to defend against.
Because Bennett's current line is easy to defend against

Quote:
Bennett? He becomes a forgotten player.
So basically "If we contrive all these things to make sure Sam Bennett fits my narrative, Sam Bennett should fit my narrative. Oh and let me guess they should take Sam Reinhart off that hypothetical narrative-fitting third line too because he's too good to play with Sam Bennett, but he's not good enough for Lundell because reasons. Oh and Lundell doesn't have to outproduce Bennett in that role, he just has to match it so that they can weaken their third line, because why would you want a strong third line when you can replace your already-potent 1B line with.. another 1B line. It all makes sense.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-22-2021 at 05:57 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #2855
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahahaha. Introducing Barkov as the red herring. Bennettdictines crack me up.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #2856
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the extent of your rebuttal?

"This fact that I can verify myself is just a red herring even though it disproves the validity of my claim!!"

Old 10-22-2021, 06:19 PM   #2857
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I mean, how does he even respond lol. You kinda knocked him the #### out with words. I'm surprised he even said anything

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #2858
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many points do you think Bennett will get this year?
Old 10-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #2859
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That Florida team is prime. So many options and Q is a top 3 coach. That top 9 is stacked, now and going forward. Ekblad is a beast. Knight is going to be a star.

Even if Huberdeau and Bennett don't stay together, as long as Bennett stays top 9, he's playing with great players no matter what. Say Lundell does go 2C, you could put both Sam's on line 3 and they would absolutely crush 95% of match ups in the nhl. Honestly, I think their games would really compliment each other. Quennville pretty much can't go wrong however he deploys them. Doesn't hurt having a top 5 C in Barkov, that guy is pretty much the new Bergeron, just a step up. Just gives you so many options having a guy like that

The only thing standing in the way of Florida in a potential SCF is if they draw Colorado. It's really easy to see Colorado and Florida becoming the New Chicago/LA, just in different conferences. I'd be giddy if I was a fan of either team

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #2860
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Bennett actually was improving a ton under Sutter near the end, wasn't he? And wasn't Sutter saying that he wished he hadn't been traded because he felt he was finally turning a corner?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: