Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #41
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pens are playing bad hockey right now plus the Flames like playing Pitts. We'll win this.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #42
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Pens are playing bad hockey right now plus the Flames like playing Pitts. We'll win this.
Are they? They're 7-3 in their last 10 and their big 3 forwards have been rocketing up the scoring leaderboard. Plus their PP can singlehandedly win them games even when they don't show up, especially if we maintain our 5+ penalties per game of late.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #43
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

Some game-day prep from www.calgaryflames.com:

line-ups (www.calgarysun.com)

FLAMES
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski -Brouwer
Hathaway - Stajan - Shore
How did you come up with that projected forward lineup? All outlets, including the Calgary Sun & calgaryflames.com which you sourced have this projected lineup.

Quote:
FLAMES PROJECTED LINES

Johnny Gaudreau-Sean Monahan-Micheal Ferland

Matthew Tkachuk-Mikael Backlund-Michael Frolik

Sam Bennett-Mark Jankowski-Garnet Hathaway

Troy Brouwer-Matt Stajan-Curtis Lazar

DEFENCE PAIRINGS

Mark Giordano-Dougie Hamilton

TJ Brodie-Travis Hamonic

Brett Kulak-Michael Stone

GOALIES

Jon Gillies

David Rittich

Last edited by Karl; 03-05-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #44
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Are they? They're 7-3 in their last 10 and their big 3 forwards have been rocketing up the scoring leaderboard. Plus their PP can singlehandedly win them games even when they don't show up, especially if we maintain our 5+ penalties per game of late.
I watched a few Pens games that last 2 weeks they don't look good. Didn't they lose 3 of their last 4? Their D is awful that they don't have an NHL caliber goaltender. Crosby is bad.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #45
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't care about missing the playoffs if the 1st was lottery protected. God that's terrifying.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
I wouldn't care about missing the playoffs if the 1st was lottery protected. God that's terrifying.
Based on where we'll likely finish, I think it is about a 1.5% chance. I tend not to think things with that low of a probability qualify as terrifying.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #47
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

With current standings, the draft sim usually comes up with NYI at 10, Flames at 13. If that's as bad as it gets, that's livable.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #48
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Their playoff chances are pretty much hooped but a win tonight at least sets up the momentum to change that outlook in the short term.

If they sweep this road trip it's a different conversation depending on the out of town scores.
Too bad they'd then have to eventually play games at home again after that.

This is going to get really ugly in a hurry for this franchise if that terrible trade results in the first round pick being a lot higher than 15th overall.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #49
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
With current standings, the draft sim usually comes up with NYI at 10, Flames at 13. If that's as bad as it gets, that's livable.
Liveable, sure. But considering the return Treliving got, this could go down as one of the worst trades of the last few seasons.

The Flames likely could address their pitiful forward depth with these picks still in hand. Without them, there is little to do but dish out costly FA contracts this summer and hope to hit a home run instead of foul tipping a bunt into their face with another Brouwer esque deal.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #50
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point the Flames need to win 4 in a row, and the remainder of the games, win 2 for every one loss.
Of course assuming that some of those wins aren’t 3 pointers against their closest teams in standings.

So a mini streak at some point to get the ship back on track then carry that momentum through some tight games that are going to be extremely nerve wracking. Somehow pulling out a win tonight gives them confidence against a good team which can carry them through the other 2 road games, and gets one day and game closer to Smith back.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Liveable, sure. But considering the return Treliving got, this could go down as one of the worst trades of the last few seasons.

The Flames likely could address their pitiful forward depth with these picks still in hand. Without them, there is little to do but dish out costly FA contracts this summer and hope to hit a home run instead of foul tipping a bunt into their face with another Brouwer esque deal.
The likelihood those picks would instantly address our depth is about as likely that the pick wins the lottery if we miss.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #52
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #53
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The likelihood those picks would instantly address our depth is about as likely that the pick wins the lottery if we miss.
The team has been mismanaged into this quandary where they shouldn't be trading away their decent prospects but now need to do so in order to plug holes that are preventing them from progressing. The likelihood of those jettisoned picks making the Flames a more viable trade partner to address these depth issues than they are now is clearly extremely high.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-05-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
I'd still care about missing the playoffs. That is bad enough on it's own.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #55
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The likelihood of those picks making the Flames a more viable trade partner to address depth issues than they are now is extremely high.
Is that true? Does Hamonic hold less value than the picks that were traded to get him? Players can be traded, too.
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikePatton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #56
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

The meltdown is upon us.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePatton View Post
Is that true? Does Hamonic hold less value than the picks that were traded to get him? Players can be traded, too.
Well it's hard to say but I imagine the Flames put Hamonic on the block at the draft they may get a 1st round pick but not likely the 2nd round picks back. The reason the guy was available for trade for so long was because the asking price was high and teams didn't want to pay up until the Flames moved in. I don't think Hamonic has been bad but I also think there are few teams that are going to look at his season with the Flames and feel he's worth close to that price. The Islanders didn't really miss him that much and the Flames didn't get better and when you trade a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks I would think you are looking to get a difference maker in return.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #58
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well it's hard to say but I imagine the Flames put Hamonic on the block at the draft they may get a 1st round pick but not likely the 2nd round picks back. The reason the guy was available for trade for so long was because the asking price was high and teams didn't want to pay up until the Flames moved in. I don't think Hamonic has been bad but I also think there are few teams that are going to look at his season with the Flames and feel he's worth close to that price. The Islanders didn't really miss him that much and the Flames didn't get better and when you trade a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks I would think you are looking to get a difference maker in return.
Plus now he has just two years left on that contract after this. His value certainly isn't increasing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #59
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePatton View Post
Based on the season he and Brodie are having I don't think it can be argued that Stone would have done any worse in that role and would have also left the door open for both Kulak and Andersson to play more of a role on the team from the get go this year. The team would also have a highly valuable trade chip in hand to address these costly forward depth issues.

For whatever that's worth it would have been my order of operations anyway.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #60
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only dman on the flames that is gonna get the return Hamonic got is Hamilton and maybe Gio.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote